Issue with DTS-HD and Vero4K

Also using a Harmony 650 here … but I’m running out of ideas. Looks to be a cruel timing issue, a hdmi protocol analyzer would be more helpful now.

Hi!
I use Denon AVR-X520BT reciever with Vero 4K. It similar to AVR-X540BT and supports only 5.1 audio.
After reading this topic, I decided to run several tests. I try to play some test videos with different audio formats and that’s results:
DTS-HD MA 5.1 - ok, good sound;
DTS-HD MA 7.1 - no sound;
DTS-HD HR 7.1 - no sound.
I do not know whether there is DTS-HD HR 5.1.
Also when I set Kodi audio settings to 7.1 and “Fixed” output configuration, I hear crackling.
I use 5.1, “Best mutch” output configuration and paththrough enabled. My video collection contains movies with only 5.1 DTS and AC3 audio. And it works perfect.
LED123, are you play movies with 7.1 or 5.1 audio?

Oh, sorry.
When I set the Kodi settings in 7.1 DTS-HD MA 7.1 sound was working. DTS-HD HR 7.1 does not work.
But there is Dolby Digital / DTS / Dolby TrueHD / Dolby Digital Plus / DTS-HD Master Audio / DTS-HD High Resolution Audio / DTS Express formats in reciever’s manual.

Hi

If you are referring to the GUI settings i tried both, same result.
If you are referring to the movies, it is mostly 7.1, but even the the few with 5.1 do not play DTS-HD

anderwvol, when you choose “Fixed” do you still have the pass through option enabled at the GUI?

No, passthrough option disable when I choose “Fixed”

LED123, your reciever’s firmware is up to date?

Is there an updated firmware for the 540BT?
could you please share url?
At denon Europe site there is no update for the 540

Can you feed all these files to your AVR with a different device as well to also double check here whether it’s clearly only related to the Vero 4k?

http://firmware.denon.eu
I used this url to update my receiver. But you need to check your firmware first.

I have only Vero and Raspberry Pi2. But I think Raspberry supports only DTS, not DTS-HD

Ok… A PC maybe? You can activate bitstreaming/passthrough with a PC aswell when playing via HDMI with e.g. MPC (Media Player Classic).

Or a standalone Blu-ray player to play back a Blu-ray with 7.1 DTS-HD MA audio track…

Ok, I will try it tomorrow.

Sweet! It won’t fix anything, but it’s useful to have cancled out the most obvious things first (for good) to get a common ground of what the issue is definitely not caused by.

Until now, every issue has been solved here that I was aware of, so this will probably be fixed, too. :+1:t2::slightly_smiling_face:

I’ve pinged a contact at Denon and referred him to this thread. A sample Vero 4K will go out to him tomorrow morning via an express service.

2 Likes

Huh, I’ve been following this thread out of curiosity and was gonna chime in and say that DTS-HD works fine on my denon x1300 but lo and behold, I have no sound. The receiver displays an analog stereo but no sound.
Funny thing is, I’ve never had issues before?
I have one movie I know I watched first half of October with sound no issues whatsoever. Very strange.

Edit, I’m on development branch. Noticed dts-x and Atmos isn’t working either and they did just a few days ago so don’t mind me…

@Martorias

You were testing Stretch earlier, which has audio improvements that were not quite improvements :wink:

See [TESTING] Debian Stretch upgrade for OSMC - #23 by JimKnopf.

Edit: I see you were aware of that thread. That’s interesting. Can you send me a short sample of a file that causes a problem (PM via Dropbox is fine), and confirm the sample has problems on your receiver?

Sam

Not sure I’m following now- it seems the stretch build has issues so any passthrough will fail (I haven’t tried the update)
What would you like a sample of? Of something that fails now? WeTransfer - Send Large Files & Share Photos Online - Up to 2GB Free is an Atmos track that crackles weirdly for instance.
I’m off to bed now but let me know specifically and I’ll try tomorrow.

1 Like

@Martorias: Your example link plays here absolute fine with a Sony AVR after a an update to Debian Stretch this evening.
My Sony tells me it’s a “Dolby TrueHD [3/4.1 (LbRb)]”. Manually start an update using MyOSMC when you read this.

Yup will do tomorrow :slight_smile: will try if DTS-HD works on my denon then

@Martorias: BTW many thx for this very cool link to https://thedigitaltheater.com/ with this trailer collection, I was not aware of till now. Very nice!

1 Like