Issue with DTS-HD and Vero4K

That is very impressive. Thank you Sam for your efforts.

@JimKnopf after updating everything seems to work again, DTS-HD Atmos dtsx all looks normal.

@LED123:
Just read a bit in the German user manual of the Denon AVR-X540BT.
There is a “Decode Mode” under “Inputs” -> “Input Select” which has default value “Auto” but also could be set to “PCM” and “DTS”.

Now, assuming the Denon has an issue automatically detect the right kind of given audio or this is not fast enough: What happens if you set this to fix “DTS” for the HDMI port the Vero is connected to?

If this would stable play all DTS videos, you would have at least have a workaround without being forced to toggle the input selector till the AVR started to play the DTS-HD in a correct way. Of course you always would have to manually toggle this setting whenever you change your input. Just an idea …

It would still be good, if assuming that this could be related to the AVR itself in any way, to figure out whether the AVR shows this behaviour with other devices first… If not, there’s not point in trying to figure out workarounds that don’t solve the problem which, I think, is more likely with the Vero. :wink:

Edit: Just got confused a bit… @LED123 already tested with a different device and @andrewvol wanted to test with a different source device today. @LED123’s test result already cancles out the possibility of the problem being with the AVR. So, maybe we shouldn’t hint at the AVR anymore and wait for @sam_nazarko’s contact to do some tests… Maybe that will help finding out what the Vero is doing differently than other devices.

@JimKnopf
Thank you for your suggestion.
Already try it. It make things worse
since it completely disables all Dolby decoding on the AVR
But thanks, it worth the try.

I had a quick chat today. Apparently, the problem is reproducible with some Blu-ray players on this model of AV receiver.

Please turn off Vero 4K and your receiver.
Turn on AV, then Vero 4K.

Run this via SSH:

echo hpd_lock1 | sudo tee /sys/class/amhdmitx/amhdmitx0/debug​ 
dmesg | paste-log

And play some DTS files and send me the output of the second command (a URL)

Sam

I’ve made some tests with some DTS trailers from this url https://thedigitaltheater.com/index.php/dts-trailers/.
Configuration 1: PC (Win10+MPC with passthrough enabled) - HDMI cable from Vero 4K complect - Denon AVR-X520BT - Samsung TV:

• DTS-HD MA 5.1 - ok;
  • DTS-HD MA 7.1 - ok;
  • DTS-HD HRA 7.1 - ok, but AVR indicate DTS-HD MA.

Configuration 2: Vero 4K (settings: 7.1, best mutch, passthrough enabled for everything) - HDMI cable from Vero 4K complect - Denon AVR-X520BT - Samsung TV:

• DTS-HD MA 5.1 - sometimes it work, sometimes not;
  • DTS-HD MA 7.1 - sometimes it work, sometimes not;
  • DTS-HD HRA 7.1 - sometimes it work, sometimes not with one video, but with second video it not work every time.
    What is: sometimes it work, sometimes not? I start playback and hear no sound, than I stop it and start again and it plays with sound.

Ok. When I made this. Every video plays with sound every time. But other sounds (GUI sounds for example) not play.
So, when I need to watch movie with DTS-HD I need to do this in reciever’s menu, and than turn it back when I stop watch movie.

Oh no, sorry. Not everytime. :frowning:

@LED123 and @andrewvol: It was just an idea and could have been a workaround till a final solution … if it would work stable but this is not the case.
Please, provide the data Sam requested.

Quite interesting that a PC’s bistreaming is working fine with the AVR, but not the Vero’s…

Does this mean that the issues are only showing up with some devices connected to the AVR and not all? Any clue how that happens?

https://paste.osmc.tv/moyequtiva
I’ve tried to play several times different videos, try to change audio thread on one video, and finaly I heared sound.

Since there are so many variations in data formats, and they are constantly evolving, device manufacturers are in a never-ending dance to make sure each format is recognised and dealt with appropriately. An AVR might give non-standard information to the mediacenter device so mediacenters have to tolerate this. Then mediacenters might have different ways to tell AVRs the format of the stream they are sending. AVRs have to tolerate this.

It seems to me a bit like how browsers have to tolerate badly-formed html while websites have to target different browsers.

That’s why I think it happens.

Sounds very likely this way… Just thinking about the situation manufacturers of AV equipment have to face now with HDR standards. Just a mess :weary::joy: Well, chapeau for those who are successfully dealing with these standards!

May call myself lucky then that I seem to have an AVR that doesn’t cause problems… But it’s suspecious that the cheapest (I think the Denon AVR-X540BT is the cheapeast) model from Denon is having these problems. Low price and the manufacturer doesn’t care too much anymore :see_no_evil::thinking:

OK, done
https://paste.osmc.tv/zisevetiyi

and after playback
https://paste.osmc.tv/notemujule

My tests reproduce exactly the same behavior
win10/Kodi17 in a old intel nuc vs Vero4K

You see that with cts correction depending on device. This has been a problem before.
Older Onkyo amps are also particularly susceptible to PLL adjustments. They have since fixed this however.

@sam_nazarko

Hi,
I sent the logs, 2 days ego, please check previous post;
did you manage to extract something useful in order to solve the issue?

Hi

Unfortunately this is starting to look like a potential limitation of the receiver.

The Denon contact has confirmed he can reproduce the issue on a Denon receiver, but not all receivers. I’m waiting to hear further information about the problem.

@sam_nazarko
But, we have confirmed, that the receiver plays fine the very same files using a different devices.
There are test from other users beyond myself.
The amp has issues ONLY with the Vero4K.
So what can be done to solve it?