Lip-sync errors after latest update?

This is really confusing and I just doubt myself here… but it looks like this: I have mentioned audio lag in the youtube app in both Kodi 17 and 18… but in 18 it seems I also have the lip sync issue while watching videos locally / nas… while watching videos locally or via nas seem to be in sync with Kodi 17… can‘t make much sense out of this and I am starting to get paranoid.

Yes I think Kodi itself is badly effing up things. The only reason why not more people are reporting this is because one thing (audio lag) offsets the other (TV lag) for many users.

Anyway, everyone here is reporting that a 125 to 200ms offset is needed (varying probably on the TV input lag), so something has to be wrong there with the newest Kodi version.

The thing that bothers me most is that I can‘t be sure that a fixed offset would help… or if the audio lag differs with different content… that uncertainty leads to watching the sync and not the content and it is most annoying.

It’s strange. I have no lag at all. I’m connected Vero 4K > Yamaha RX-660 → TV. No audio is sent to the TV, the Yamaha handles it all and I have no offset set in the Yamaha.

Could it be something strange like the audio is going 4K > Amp > TV > ARC > Amp?

Just adding a +1 to this. Vero 4K+ and noticing some lipsync issues in the latest updates. Was previously perfect all the time. Only change has been the Vero 4K+ update.

Vero 4K+ -> Yamaha RX-V3083 receiver -> Samsung KS9000 TV.

I should mention, although the Vero 4K (S905X, Vero 4K > Onkyo NR555 > Epson 5030UB) and my Android box (S905W, Tanix TX3 > HDTV) are experiencing lip sync issues, my Odroid C2 (S905, LibreELEC 9.02 > Pioneer Kuro 5080) is not. All three are running KODI 18.2 or higher.

It would be an interesting test then to see what happens if you swapped the Vero and the Odroid.

2 Likes

Also adding a +1 since updating to Kodi 18. Audio sync and real-time adjustments while watching video were working perfectly in v17 (I had to speed up audio by 8ms+ last week to watch a 4K movie which I’d muxed an alternative audio track in), but since v18 I’ve noticed a slight sync issue on most, if not all, media.

4K+ -> Onkyo AVR -> Samsung TV

Only change made was the update to v18, no other settings updated.

@bmillham: arc is disabled, I have no use for it, so that‘s not the problem.

All I know is that now that I have downgraded , lip sync is perfect again… that is with the exception of the youtube app (and possibly other video apps), so the youtube audio video sync videos are useless.

The important part for everyone is that we talk about the same issue, Because lip sync is a can of worms, many reasons other than the Vero 4k can cause this.

So we should stick with the issue that a) came with the May update and b) manifests as an audio delay of anything between 125 and 200ms.

@MidnightWatcher: I would also be interested if you could switch the Vero and the C2 and look if your observations about the lip sync issues are confirmed.

I myself will have a look at my shield tv + Kodi 18.2 and my Apple TV 4k + MrMC, though I have no clue on what Kodi version MrMC is based upon currently. I only know that neither my shield tv nor my apple tv 4k have a lip sync issue with the apps I normally use them for.

+1 - something is definitely off with lipsync since the may update. My signal path is Vero -> Yamaha Receiver -> Sony TV
150ms delay fixes the problem most of the time - but not always. It seems to be more off with 50Hz contents (LiveTV), but sometimes it is not.

I know this description, or lack thereof, is a developers nightmare and I’m really sorry about it.

Lipsync was not a problem with V17

Ok, so I disconnected the Vero 4K and tested the Odroid C2 in its place.

Adjust Display Refresh Rate set to OFF for 1080p @ 60 Hz

Test One: No changes made to any settings, A/V playback is in sync and Audio Offset works in real-time while the video is playing.

Test Two: Passthrough enabled, audio changed from 2.0 to 7.1, A/V playback in sync and Audio Offset works in real-time while the video is playing.

Adjust Display Refresh Rate set to ON START / STOP for 1080p @ 23.98 Hz

Test Three: A/V playback in sync and Audio Offset works in real-time while the video is playing.

Any other setting suggestions to try?

So the C2 is in sync and needs no audio offset in the setup that your Vero 4k usually uses? That would eliminate the setup as a possible culprit.

C2 is on exact same setup as the Vero 4K.

I think the issue may be limited only to some videos.
@JimKnopf: can you share a link to the test clip which is unchanged on your system from v17 to v18 so we can see if the others also experience no problem with this particular clip?

Sam

@sam_nazarko Unfortunatelly this clip is protected by copyrights. I spent some bucks to buy the reference BD long time ago. A description of the clip you can find here.

I posted this over in the Audio Offset issue thread …

Observation: I noticed that not all videos seemed to be affected by the lip sync issue.

Not Affected:

Files tested with AAC 2.0 audio (eg. movie trailers from http://www.hd-trailers.net ) and files with AAC 7.1 audio. Files with AAC 5.1 seemed to have mixed results or weren’t as easy to discern for some reason. All videos were 23.976 fps.

Affected:

Files tested with audio formats such as DTS 5.1, DTS-HD MA 5.1, DTS-HD MA 7.1, AC3 1.0 mono, AC3 5.1, Dolby TrueHD 5.1, Dolby Atmos 7.1 were all affected. All videos were 23.976 fps.

Passthrough enabled and disabled didn’t seem to matter. I also noticed that bringing up the Technical Information GUI affected lip sync as well quite a bit.

Hope some of this can help.

1 Like

None of these makes problems, here.
Could you give a concrete example/provide a small test clip which is showing the symtpom in your env.?

Also logs from a playback would be fine, se we can check/understand your configuration as well.

By that others could try to reproduce and verify whether this is a general issue with the Vero4k or a special configuration or even an environmental issue at your site.

Also a precise description of the path of the audio/video hdmi output from the Vero4k to your projector and speakers including used interfaces+cables is need to understand your setup.

A log was submitted on the Audio Offset Broken By May Update thread. At this time, the Vero 4K is no longer connected and in use until the next update becomes available for testing.

@MidnightWatcher

• no video clip for reproduction
  • no actual logs
  • no detailed description of your env.

:thinking::man_shrugging: → no help!

1 Like

Ok so now I looked at the issue again… I do unfortunately have an audio lag even in 17.6, but it is about a frame less than I have in Kodi 18… with 17.6 audio is appr. 100ms late, with 18 it is appr. 150ms.

I assume I always had the 100ms audio delay but that felt into the „too little to notice“ category, while the additional 50ms with Kodi 18 just put it in the „ something seems to be off“ category. I know from past experience that anything up to 100ms is very difficult to see with the naked eye but after that it becomes more prominent,

I tested all this with a short clip from Game of Thrones s08e01 where the hammer from the blacksmith hits the anvil multiple times (somewhere around 36-37 mins). I looked at the unmodified file in a video editor to see if the source was in sync (as at was). Then I recorded the scene in Kodi 17.6 and the newest 18 version (with a very good ipad pro camera) and looked at in the video editor as well. I am very confident that my findings are pretty accurate.

Now the question for me is, what other factors than the Vero 4k can produce the audio lag? At least some of the lag falls onto the Vero 4k as the May Version has a higher audio delay than the December. Nothing else on the setup is changed. And in the same setup, other media players (like the apple tv) have no delay at all. Though the apple tv has no passthrough at all in MrMC… but no PT changes in the Vero 4k has an effect on the audio delay.

I did cut the mentioned scene into a 10 second clip but I can‘t upload it to a public place for a good reason. If you could provide mean with an alternative and private upload method, I will. Anyway audio is e-ac3 in this file. The delay is the same with everything else I tested, which is mostly DTS or DTS-HD.