Network issues since Dec update

Hi folks, strange issue that I can’t figure out.

Since the latest update I’ve been having issues with playing any vaguely large HD files. Before the update there wasn’t any issue playing them. Initially I thought it was some actual playback settings had been messed up with the update but on further investigation it seems to be a network issue. I put a big HD file onto a USB and it played with no issues with my usual playback settings.

All my files are shared from my windows server via smb, I’ve run Speedtest-cli and the actual network connection for the rpi3 seems fine so I’m a little at a loss to what else it could be! Suggestions?

Thanks in advance!

Fair enough, here is a log of trying to play a big HD movie where it is jerky and unwatchable.

https://paste.osmc.tv/icamutesat

Something was wrong with your upload. There is no Kodi log.

Isn’t the kodi log and the old kodi log at the end? I’ll try and upload just the kodi log.

Something glitched here. It is indeed present.

https://paste.osmc.tv/uxupugojag

Is that better?

Edit - ah ok just missed your previous post. Thanks.

What NAS are you using?
Maybe check this thread

I’m running an old HP N40L Microserver running Windows 10. The relevant disks/folders are shared in windows using smb.

Thanks for the link to the Vero thread, I’ll give it a read and see if It can sort it!

-edit- read the thread and it seems to be a similar issue, although the files don’t stop playing it just seems to have a really slow connection speed. Is it worth getting a log of the smb?

Well that thread seems to be a sligthly different topic as you are running windows 10 (ever thought of running Linux on the HP?).

The SMB log surely doesn’t harm (SMB specific logging activated) but I first would just check your SMB Protocol setting on the WIn10 machine and on Kodi.

Fair enough, I just thought they seemed similar albeit with slightly different symptoms.

My knowledge of linux is pretty close to nil, I would be keen to learn and at somepoint when I upgrade the server I will most likely set it up with VM of Windows and Linux so I can start learning. The server is the hub of the house media so isn’t a learning platform at the moment.

Here is the log with added SMB info, it seems to be continually going through all the directories I have shared (and there is lots!) to authenticate them? Is that normal?

https://paste.osmc.tv/biyofoqiwa

Also where can I find out the smb settings for kodi and windows? I’ve tried googling where to no avail!

OSMC: Settings -> Services -> SMB Client

For the Win10 side

Thanks guys, I’ll have a look at kodi shortly. Fzinken, I did see that link but didn’t want to start turning different types on and off without advice! It says that the standard Windows 10 smb is V3.

Correct and I wouldn’t change it. Just use the comments to ensure it’s enabled

Ok I’ve checked both Kodi and the server and they are running Smbv3.

Has anyone had a chance to look at the above log from the kodi smb client? If I’m reading it right it seems to be continually authenticating each and every directory on the server over and over?

Well have to admit I can not really seeing whats going wrong from the log. What really wonders me that you even have smb messages in the system logs.
What you could try:

1. Check your .kodi/userdata/passwords.xml and check if username/password is correct
  2. Try from coomand line with smbclient to access the files and see any errors

That is the log with smb specific logging enabled, someone previously recommend that I should post it?

Should there be that many smb authentication entries? It just continuously kept doing it.

The passwords.xml is slightly strangely formatted, it doesn’t list all the source shares but only has two with a from/to structure. Here is a copy -

smb://192.168.0.11/Series smb://LOGIN:PASSWORD@192.168.0.11/Series/Comedy/

The name login and password are correct though. As I said I don’t have a problem accessing any of the shares or the files, just that the connection is so slow that HD content is unplayable due to jerkyness. The same file on a usb plays no issue.

Happy try via the command line but I’m afraid I’ve no idea how to do that?

Well that was me, but I didn’t assume it end up in system log