New Vero?

It has been there since 21-04-2023, this is when i first got the notification from fccid.

1 Like

And a Vero 5+ ?

Looks like it

The next model is called Vero V. We made this publicly known some time ago and introduced the Vero V forum category a while ago.

according to the fccid website, this is just another rebranded android box.

browsing github, it seems you are still using bullseye and the 4.9 kernel

What’s your point?

1 Like

witch one?

the fact thats it’s just a rebranded android box running debian? or that it’s still using a EOL kernel?

slapping your own label on a box and charging a premium price for it is what everyone else is doing these days, i thought OSMC was different.

I just don’t think you get it, hardware is one thing, software and support is another thing.
If you buy a shitty mediaplayer on ebay and you have a specific problem with it, no one really gives a sh**, if you buy a vero and have a problem, the problem gets solved. Simple as that.

9 Likes

Sometimes, sure.

i think £200 for the new vero is a little bit too much. especially for a box that doesn’t support dolby vision. but asking almost the same price as for an shield pro, i can’t get that.

It’s not a rebranded Android box. The manufacturer did not have the appropriate FCC label ready at the time of certification, so we used their one.

You can buy an Android box if you would like, but you won’t get the same specs and you won’t get OSMC.

For compatibility we shop with 4.9.269 which is stable and feature complete. We then move to a newer kernel later when it’s ready. We will have long term support and updates as before.

5 Likes

Debian Bookworm has been out for less than three weeks. I will start work on it soon and plan to ready it for Kodi v21. But I also want to move to a fully 64-bit environment, so it will take longer.

1 Like

Well that will be a nice addition!

Was not my point at all, just stating the box you are bringing to market is a android box, you might have tweaked the specs but it’s still a rebranded android box weather it runs android or not!

If DV Profile 5 is all you have in store for us, i hate to say it but the new box will be well behind the curve at launch!

Profile 7 and 8 is what the masses want, need.

Makemkv is the most widely used backup software and that creates profile 7 STDL Dolby vision, thats mainstream that will sell boxes.

2 Likes

I don’t think it works like that. If I purchased a fully electric car and it turned out to be diesel, then I would have recourse.

OSMC is not an Android based system and the Vero V is not an Android based box. You know this yourself. You just mentioned Debian Bullseye. As stated before, it didn’t make sense to postpone certification to print the necessary labels for clearance as this would have incurred delays. The label could say anything such as ‘magic teleportation device’, provided that the relevant attestations are clearly marked and the proposed label is accurate.

The device was designed from scratch and there are specific adaptations you will not find on Android devices. For example: we have an internal USB port so that users can now use both external USB ports with the supplied OSMC RF remote. I am not aware of any Android box incorporating such a feature or design.

If you want to buy an Android box and load Debian and whichever kernel you want, you can do so. The fact is that you are not obligated to buy the device. But you should not spread false information.

I hear this all the time. Apparently the Vero would only sell in single digits and that was if I had a large extended family.

I guess we will have to wait and see.

4 Likes

have the vero v enough power to play an 5tb extern usb hdd without a powered usb hub @sam_nazarko ?

The USB 3 port can supply 0.9A. You will need to check if that’s sufficient for your drive.

1 Like

Just a quick question on vero v, is there a future plan to have it powered from usb c, also carry video signal using usb c, I happen to have monitor with usb c powered, hope vero v would have the option to work like laptop to utilize one single cable.