OSMC 2018.04-1 ---17.6 crashes everyday

I use my Raspberry pi-3+ for a cable tv box using Zoltan HDhomerun

here is the log https://paste.osmc.tv/eqodosepak

First, try setting the overclock back to normal in MyOSMC. These have never been configured for the Pi3 and you are essentially underclocking your device. Test for a few days after doing this. If the problem remains, upload new logs.

This is a pi-3Plus but I will set it back to slow mode and try again

Are you using Kodi v18 or v17?
Expect Kodi v18 to be unstable for a while

Version 17

Please don’t confuse… “Normal” settings will actually be faster than what you had previously configured. 1000 < 1200

So normal settings will utilize upto 1400 ?

If the 3+ default speed is 1400, then yes. Setting Turbo in MyOSMC has clamped the speed to 1000.

Ohh ! So the turbo was for the old Pi-2. So know one has updated the turbo for pi-3

Nope still crashing using normal settings and I have no addons
https://paste.osmc.tv/kikonemaru

You’re getting an out-of-memory error that seems to be because of Kodi using too much memory. On a new installation, without add-ons, that should not happen. If this isn’t a completely fresh installation, you might have some Kodi settings causing the error. You can test if this is the case with:

cd
sudo systemctl stop mediacenter
mv .kodi kodi-backup
sudo systemctl start mediacenter

If that doesn’t help, I’d recommend you reinstall OSMC and see if the problem persists before you make any changes.

I was getting this on my other Kodi Raspberry’s and always thought it was the addons causing them. So never posted about it. So I did a fresh install with only my massive library and my DVR addon and Kodi still unstable. So yes I did that with one caveat using turbo mode and turned that off and still having the same problem :frowning:

Well, that’s not quite sticking to the spirit of “see if the problem persists before you make any changes”. To debug a problem like this, you realy need to take baby steps: first clean install with only the basic install-wizard configuration, then let it run for a while without doing any further changes, then add video sources and see how it goes. I’m sure you get the idea.

You might be hitting some memory limits because of your “massive library”. Care to share some figures?

Movies 4600
TV shows over 6000 episodes

Since you have more than one system, why don’t you setup a shared MySQL database? For a library that size it may be more memory efficient. Also, if you have a NAS you could host the database on that, decreasing the memory load even more.

Yes library is on NAS using 6 Raspberry’s for Cable TV boxes. The MySQL database is way above my pay grade for knowing how to set that up ! So your saying each Raspberry you dont scan in the library as normal ?

You don’t say what the NAS is. To install a MySQL server (now MariaDB on Debian stretch), the following instructions should be a reasonable template for most *nix systems.

The client configuration is detailed at the top of the thread.

Its a very low powered WD 4TB My Cloud Personal Network Attached Storage - NAS - WDBCTL0040HWT-NESN

I was looking at a youtube video about mysql setup and it still shows importanting the library in. The feature of watching a video in one room and finishing it in another isnt important to me. I am confused how its going to free up memory on the Raspberry if you still have to scan the library back in.

I might be wrong but such a NAS doesn’t look too promising as a MySQL server.

I think we need a different strategy. I’d suggest that you try to split the scan into several parts, which will depend a lot on the directory structure you’ve created on the NAS. For example, you could try adding just movies first as a data source and see if you manage to get through the scan. Then try TV Shows.

If nothing works, I might be forced to recommend a Vero4K, since that has 1.7GB of usable RAM. :wink:

That probably would not do good with MySQL. Do you have another (like Windows) system that could host a MySQL library? The reason a MySQL database can help is that the queries get offloaded to the MySQL server, instead of the client Pis.

For scanning new content, you do that from one system (doesn’t matter which one, it could even be a Windows box). Then all the Pi’s will see the updates.