OSMC and Hyperion

I would suggest trying then both and see? Amlogic seemed to be grabbing on the home screen when I tried it.

What is the purpose of your code? It seems like it will prevent Hyperion from starting if Kodi isn’t running?

I tried both capturing options and both work. Any background which could be more efficient?

We discussed the details on the delay white a time ago, you will find it in this thread.

Ah yes, that is what it does. It was actually my suggestion, to help you with needing a delay at startup.

The problem is, you have a niche issue. And the trade-off with the workaround is you can’t start Hyperion without having Kodi running. That might break things for other users. Anyone retro gaming for example. So I can’t make it part of the standard service.

It would be better to have fixed the actual issue, likely via the upstream developers. We never got to see any hyperion debug logs to work out why it wasn’t working, but they’d certainly want that.

As a complete noob to github, would someone mind telling me the command to update to 2.0.0.a1?

And I guess I should stop the service first?

Must add an update option to the menu at some point…

1 Like

anyone updated to the new osmc and can confirm hyperion has no issue with the new video engine? I’m just courious and like avoid to breaking my installation

Was tested all last year. And looking ok to me after a clean update this week. Let us know if you find otherwise.

1 Like

@rantanplan1 Just updated OSMC 19.1 and Hyperion NG 2.0.0-alpha.10 …

And hyperion is not working during video playback …

This is the first time I use Hyperion NG (I was on old hyperion before).

My LED configuration is OK, effects and led test are good

But my Only choice for : “Capturing Hardware - Screen capture - Device discovered” is ‘Framebuffer’ seems working …

Don’t know if it’s a problem with new video engine … But It may be the cause (or I have a bad Hyperion NG capture configuration)

Anyone having the same issue ?

thanks for the headsup… guess I’ll wait a little longer or make sure i have a proper backup.

Just updated to the latest OSMC release - and at the same time updated from alpha5 to alpha10 using @hissingshark’s script (install from binary).

I imported my config and had to re-enable the capture the screen - and all works. Even the YouTube issue some people were having (4k doesn't work in the Youtube Addon) has gone away it seems.

Thank you @hissingshark for making this so easy :smiley:

In what way is Hyperion not working?
And do you see the grabbed screen in the live preview window?
It’s grabbing here, with either framebuffer or amlogic device options.
Given you are a first time user of NG it does confuse the issue a bit.

How it should be. Delighted to hear it.

I’ve been running OSMC test builds for years now. There will always be the unforeseen disappointments, but this was all tested well in advance.

1 Like

Always! Trust no one.

worked without a hickup, upgraded easily to alpha 10 afterwards, thanks to @hissingshark installer :slight_smile:

Just installed Hyperion-NG (alpha 10) on my new Vero 4K+ using the install script, which seemed to go great and I can see the kodi output in the web UI. However, what I don’t see, is my lightpack devices appearing as output controller types.

I was testing hyperion-ng on my RPi 4 running OSMC (alpha 10, installed without this script) the other day, and the devices showed up fine there, so presumably this is limited to this version, or I suspect a missing dependency.

I do see the two devices if I run lsusb -v -d 1d50:6022, so it does appear they’re properly connected. Any ideas if this is intended/known, or what the missing dependency or other fix might be? Thanks!

EDIT - I built from source and enabled USB_HID, that’s got the lightpacks detected. Is there a reason why that’s not enabled by default?

I doubt there’s any specific reason. Just a change in the cmake defaults probably. The project has been refractored a lot over the years so I guess these things will happen.
Thanks for reporting it. I’ll add it to my builds.

I’m enjoying Hyperion (alpha 10) on my Vero 4k but roughly one out of ten times when stopping playback with Hyperion enabled the Vero will lock up. This does not happen if I have the Hyperion service stopped.

Has anyone else encountered this?

What would be the best approach to debugging considering SSH access is not available when in the locked up state?

You could review the old Kodi logs after a reboot.
Is the Hyperion web interface still working? You can view it’s log from there.
Another alternative would be to run Hyperion directly from the command line with its debugging enabled, but the output redirected to a file, so that you can review it after a reboot.

Thanks for the advice.

The Hyperion web interface is not available. It’s like the Vero stops responding completely.

I’ll give debugging from the CLI a go. Like this?

./storage/hyperion/bin/hyperiond -d --userdata /storage/hyperion/

I have stopped and restarted a video 20 times over the course of an hour, whilst hyperion.ng was running. No lock-up for me.

As a caveat I’m away from my home setup, so no lights connected (output device set to “file”). You could try that to see if it nullifies the problem.

You should be able to capture everything with:
hyperiond -d > debug.log 2>&1

What is this /storage/hyperion/ path? Symlinking to some external device? It’s certainly not where I install to on the Vero4k.

Oh, and are you using the internal “Amlogic” grabber? I was.