OSMC DVB-T2 dongle reports itself as DVB-T

Hi @Richard_Luke_C_Hobda

The new kernel includes the fixes that you tested (and confirmed as working) from the 3.14.29-59 kernel.

I added these changes after you confirmed (and I tested) the DVB-T2 improvements.

Please try running this command: sudo apt-get install --reinstall vero364-image-3.14.29-62-osmc or update via My OSMC, as your kernel seems to be out of date.

Sam

Hm, why did the March upgrade come with 3.14.29-61-osmc at my end, not -62?

Update: I just ran another update and now I got 3.14.29-63-osmc. Go figureā€¦

The stable version is actually -63ā€¦

My Vero 4K updated itself to -63 earlier today and the OSMC Dongle is no longer recognised.
Previously it was recognised but only got the SD channels.

2 Likes

FWIW, the -63 seems to have a number of presumably new issues (see red lines in dmesg) related to audio, USB, CEC and such. Just two USB-related examples:

[    0.355239] amlogic-new-usb3 d0078080.usb3phy: This phy has no usb port
[    2.456116] hub 2-0:1.0: USB hub found
[    2.456137] hub 2-0:1.0: config failed, hub doesnt have any ports! (err -19)

CEC-related:

[    1.487333] cectx aocec: aml_cec_probe(): no hdmirx reg resource
[    1.490982] cectx aocec: aml_cec_probe(): no hhi reg resource
[    1.496947] cectx aocec: aml_cec_probe(): cant find hdmirx
[   13.345214] cectx aocec: cec_ll_tx(): tx timeout

Also, systemd-modules-load.service fails with:

systemd-modules-load[166]: Failed to find module 'meson-ir'

This I saw because the console messages now overlay the splash thatā€™s supposed to hide them :wink:

I donā€™t want to highjack the thread with unrelated problems. Just wanted to make you aware to have another look. Feel free to move this post to a more appropriate thread.

What are these issues?

See above

That error means that we donā€™t have an HDMI-RX PHY (the Vero 4K only supports HDMI-out, not HDMI-in), so isnā€™t related.

Updating again should resolve your issues. It could take an hour for this update to reach your mirror.

Iā€™m a bit confused right now. Following the latest update Iā€™m running kernel version -68. After reboot with the OSMC DVB (and remote receiver) dongle plugged in different to earlier before neither the firmware nor the drivers for the RT2832 or MN88473 are loaded. Correspondingly, both tvheadend and w_scan donā€™t find any any receivers. What am I missing here?

1 Like

@AndreasK I suggest you try upgrading again. Linux OSMCVero 3.14.29-69-osmc has given me back my DVB-T services, although not any DVB-T2 ones yet. But I live in hope!

Unfortunately DVB-T doesnā€™t work for me, since we only have DVB-T2 muxes in Germany as of today.

@sam_nazarko Any update on the DVB-T2 state? Iā€™d really like to buy your dongle but I just canā€™t if T2 isnā€™t (fully) supported, i.e. Andreas tested is successfully.

Cheers

We fixed this in the March update but users reported issues with IR remotes, so we had to revert.

Yep, I followed the recent events. Thus my question is rather what your plans are. It would be a pity if your own product wouldnā€™t resolve the DVB (driver) limitations of the 3.14 kernel.

Cheers

As explained, we will fix this. But obviously we canā€™t break remote support.

Sure, of course not. Do you have a rough ETA for the fix? For planning purposes, as I cancelled my cable contract in favor of the OSMC dongle :sunglasses:

No ā€“ we have no firm ETA; but we donā€™t intend to drag the fix out.

Sure, thanks for the update. As you know, lots of supportive testers out hereā€¦

Can you also test IR?

Iā€™ve made some changes and now got IR working as expected with media_build, so we may be able to get this in shortly.

Can you please test this kernel: https://collab.osmc.tv/s/y3TNoSFY2WPHWuS

Note, for HW video acceleration, youā€™ll temporarily need to run sudo modprobe amlvideodri

Thanks

Sam