OSMC Release Candidate 3 lands

Please use the search function and you will see that this question gets asked all the time, and the answer is it will happen when it happens. :wink: Lots of me too posts constantly asking for updates on when this will happen spread across a half dozen different threads will not speed the process. As soon as Sam has any news regarding imx6 support it will go up on the blog I’m sure.

See IMX6 beta builds ?! - #26 by sam_nazarko for latest answer

Sam

A few things I have noticed using the latest RC3 with updates.

1. On top level menus (Movies, Settings) that display options on the right. You don’t seem to be able to cycle through the list. In other words, when your at the top of the sub menu (example: settings - at the top of the submenu with “appearance” at the top), you can’t press up to jump to the bottom. I don’t know if this is by design or not but it seems a bit counter intuitive as you can when browsing movies or even on the top level menu itself.

2. Aswell as this, it doesn’t seem to remember menu positions. For example, I go on settings on the sub list select Add-ons. When I come out of Add-ons it takes me back to the top of the list which is Appearance. Again, seems counter intuitive to me

3. The system doesn’t seem to check for updates whilst it is on the user / profile selection screen. This might be specific to a few very small use cases but I thought i would mention it anyway. I use a plugin that logs out the current user after a certain period of time so 90% of the time its sat at the login screen. This means when I do login, even though OSMC has been idle it hasn’t checked for an update so I have to do this manually. Not a biggie though.

4. For some reason when booting / rebooting, on the OSMC splash screen I get all the boot up text appear over the top. I can’t seem to find an obvious way to disable this to just show the OSMC splash screen. Can’t remember when this started happening.

5. Still the issue on a fresh install where the time zone is not set when the language is set. Could this either be set to the deafult for the selected language or have an option to choose the time zone? Agree with mimo in this post here Set Timezone Country Based on Install Laungage - #7 by mimo

I still having an issue with the Panasonic TV remote and CEC. Still getting lots of double clicks every now and then but this is something i need to look in to more. Might just be a dodgy tv remote.

I would wait for @Karnage to give the definitive answer on this but I suspect that no addons including the OSMC addon background service can run when logged out at the profile screen. No OSMC addon background service running, no automated updates.

The boot up text will only appear if there is an error (in red) such as a service failing to start or a service is delayed for a long time starting up. (Waiting for service …)

We’d need to see a screenshot of this text to know what it might be.

There is no such thing as a “default time zone for a selected language” - many languages are used in many different time zones - English is the obvious example but other languages including French and Spanish are used in different countries in completely different continents let alone time zones, so what you suggest is completely unworkable.

Being able to set the time zone during the initial walkthrough is something we have been investigating but it is anything but trivial to do this, which is why it hasn’t been done yet. (Kodi does not actually provide any mechanism to do this, so we would have to significantly patch the Kodi source code to achieve it)

Have you looked at the repeat related settings in the CEC configuration in Input ?

I thought this might be the case. It’s not a particular issue as I imagine it will only affect a very small majority of people if any,

Screenshot here Dropbox - Error - Simplify your life. No obvious errors there?

Understand its not a trivial matter. :smile: Odd that kodi hasn’t implemented it before. Its one of those things thats not a big issue, but would make for an overall easier user experience.

One final thing I have only really just noticed. If i try to reboot the Pi from the menu whilst the Movie indexer is running I get a sad face and then kodi starts again. Would a log file be any use here?

Thanks again for all of your hard work. Really enjoying using OSMC, it’s a fantastic project!

Can you disable overscan on your TV ? It is cutting off a couple of lines at the top of the screen as well as cutting off the OK/FAILED status on the left hand side.

It’s usually the very first item at the top that caused verbose loging to be activated, and we can’t see that in that screenshot…

1 Like

I also found this to be counterintuitive (and a little annoying)

found the culprit Dropbox - Error - Simplify your life

one of my NFS shares isn’t mounting properly. Not sure why as the others do. Can remove this one anyway.

Out of interest, does this need to be something that is setup via Kodi? Would it be better to be an OS setting - i.e. during installation when you select hardware type and language you also select a timezone? I might be wrong but I though the setting in Kodi was setting up something in the base OS anyway so perhaps the initial run of Kodi is the wrong place for the setting regardless.

Hello,
I have a problem with RC3, Hyperion does not work: frowning:
I’m active in the SPI configuration OSMC and I also added the line in the /boot/config.txt file.
I transfer my hyperion.config.json file in the opt / Hyperion / config
Hyperion is installed correctly but the LEDs still do not turn on.
Even with Android application that does not work well when it connects.

Before passing under OSMC, I was on Raspbian + 14.2 Kodi and Hyperion worked fine.

PS: I use a Lightberry 56 Leds

Thank you in advance for your help, I’d really like to stay under OSMC: smile:

Sorry, it’s good I create a topic,

Thank you

hi all,

yesterday i updated my OSMC after a week. 60MB of updates were downloaded and installed but still i have RC 3 - 0.9.9…

is this ok, right?

Doesn’t sound like a problem to me.

RC 3 0.9.9 is the major version number that changes when we push out new install images.

In between those major versions updates trickle out as we fix bugs and as we finalise the features for the final release. These don’t increase the displayed version number, but individual packages if you check their version numbers (in the OSMC packages list that the log uploader uploads) will be changing.

I’m not sure what update schedule Sam plans after final release - whether we do a Microsoft “patch Tuesday” style monthly update where changes are held back and all sent out at once in one big announced update, or whether we will trickle bug fixes out as soon as they have been tested, or a mixture of the two.

With Raspbmc the update system was very cumbersome and labour intensive for Sam to manage on the server side making it infeasible to push out frequent small updates, hence one of the reasons for a monthly update. With the new apt update system in OSMC it literally takes us minutes to push out an updated package so we have the ability to do either trickled or bulk updates as required…

3 Likes

Thanks OSMC team for Rc3. Everything works fine on both of my pi2
Greetings from Portugal

@sam_nazarko Is a final release nearing? “It will be ready when it’s ready” ???

We’re not providing any ETA.

Hi

I understand people are quite keen on an OSMC final release (I am too). We don’t want to promise anything we can’t deliver on, so we’re holding back on a final release date. I’ll give a timeframe for OSMC’s final release date if and when I can. For now, I’m focusing on making sure the software’s as good as we can make it! The good news is that if you’re on any OSMC Release Candidate, you’ll be able to grab the final version of OSMC as soon as it’s available by updating via My OSMC. No reinstall necessary

Cheers

Sam

Id like to have Hyperion as a build-in tool so we dont have to mess around anymore with installing it. Is this an option?