OSMC Release Candidate

Netflix will not come to OSMC for other devices I’m afraid

I can just retrieve the userdata folder and put it in the RC version without functionality problem ?

That should be fine

Sam

Fresh install. Lets go…

I used the Backup plugin but when I restored the backup, it somehow destroyed the settings menu. So I did a fresh install, now everything runs great.

Just one small thing, I liked the old menu more, mostly smaller font. But I guess this is customizable, I will take a look onto it later.

Tip: make a specific support request titled appropriately in the category relevant to your issue please! Support requests are not on topic in a general release announcement thread.

Thanks.

:frowning:

Is this by design (so that Vero has exclusive features), or simply because it is not feasible to extend this to other devices too (Raspberry Pi, in particular)?

Both :smile:. But to be specific, the Pi has DRM limitations surround it

S

Thanks for the reply. If you don’t mind, I have a couple more questions:

1. Would Netflix be viewable via the web browser, whenever that is available? (Again, for RPi in particular.)
  2. I seem to remember reading on your blog that you had a design in mind for adding Netflix to the “unsupported” Raspberry Pi. Just wondering if the DRM limitations you just mentioned are more cumbersome than originally anticipated, or if you just changed your mind about working on this?

Thanks again for OSMC. I am really enjoying the RC so far!

Unfortunately the problem is that Netflix use DRM which complicates things. Even though the video is now played via HTML5, that’s still encrypted.

Good question. A long time ago I had a go at effectively ‘screencapping’ and sending it over to the Pi. This worked with some limitations:

• Little bit of lag
  • No way of pausing or stopping the stream
  • Required another computer to be on

This was not really ideal and it seems services like PlayOn have done a lot better than us there. I also looked up if it was possible to implement a cap as a DirectShow filter so we could capture other streams as well, but it was never something that could be integrated ‘smoothly’ if you were.

S

I did several updates from Alpha4 using apt-get upgrade and now it seems I’m on version 0.9.9:

cat /etc/os-release:

PRETTY_NAME="Open Source Media Center"
NAME="OSMC"
VERSION="Release Candidate"
VERSION_ID="0.9.9"
ID=osmc
ID_LIKE=debian

I guess it’s just some naming issue on this file, but still need to get a fresh reinstall…
My fault, I did so many customizations, installing allot of services and now I have to redo it…
Anyhow great work, my RPI 2 is unbelievably fast, even with so many custom services on it!

Thanks so much for this @sam_nazarko and the team - I’m downloading today and going to be getting the RC setup on my Pi2 this week. Really been looking forward to this!

I sent some $'s your way in appreciation - I know donations to open-source projects can be rare even though the workload is massive, so hopefully it helps you a little :smile:

Will there be additional settings which allows the user to use the GUI to add and edit wifi settings?

hi, Sam
still no atv1 support?

regards

The RC release has GUI configuration for Wireless included, yes.

1 Like

The package that contains the /etc/os-release file will be up to date, but some others won’t be, so unfortunately you do need to do a fresh install to get to RC - no way around that. The good news is you will be able to upgrade from RC to final without a re-install - we’ll make sure of that.

You can back up your /home/osmc/.kodi/ folder and restore that on the new installation and that will restore your entire kodi configuration including library and addons, however if by services you mean stuff outside kodi that you installed via apt then yes you’ll need to reinstall that I’m afraid.

Well, kodi is not my biggest concern, beside 2 - 3 libraries and few add ons which are easy to install back, is not much to configure.
I’m more concerned about services installed outside kodi, at the os level, like : nginx, php, Webmin, Couchpotato, Deluge, owncloud and some more which I can’t recall now … :smiley:

But anyhow if from RC to final will be easy upgrade, that sounds already very good.
One last effort it might be worthing.

Well unless you want to be stuck on Alpha 4 forever with no bug fixes/updates, you probably don’t have much choice :wink:

I had installed a lot of services, inc Nginx, Sambe, Qbittorrent, Ruby, to my Alpha4 without problems. I was a little daunted by the fresh install, but judicious backing-up of key folders and config files made the process fairly painless.

I’m very happy with the performance of the RC so far - thanks again to Sam and the team!

:kissing_closed_eyes:

Great work Sam! Looking forward to final :smiley: