OSMC's April update is here with Kodi v20.5 - OSMC

Hm I have Phantastic Beasts here as example, it has the following mediainfo:

So it has HDR10 compatible stream 1 and a DV stream as stream 2. So if no DV is possible, it falls back to normal HDR10, or is not possible to decode DC in this case?

It already has an HDR10 layer, so there is no need to do any tonemapping.

Hm then maybe I dont understand that correctly how it should work hehe… is it for DV only content, which do not have any HDR10 fallback?

I thought I could get the better HDR from DV tonemapped to HDR10 in any way, as it still looks better than HDR10 …

Hm so no chance to get DV mapped for movie files once they have HDR10 compatible included? :frowning:

Yes.

I’ll let @grahamh follow up

The team has been focused on making DV profile 5 files and streams watchable. DV profile 7 files like the one you have there are constructed differently and can only be properly decoded and played by a Dolby licensed device with the ability to support dual-layer streams. Vero is not licensed for that.

A half-way house is to convert profile 7 files to profile 8 and use the dynamic metadata to do the tonemapping for your display rather than using the tonemapping built into Vero. That’s something Kodi Omega can do on some platforms and OSMC may explore this in the future.

Ah ok I c, thx for explaining.

A lot of people think that DV tone mapping will always be superior to HDR10, which is a huge misconception.
If it would be better, it would mean that studios are purposefully hampering HDR10 content. HDR10 limits will always apply, DV tone mapped to HDR10 will not magically make HDR10 work exactly as DV, as HDR10 cannot technically do the same.

Even then, I have a, not very high nit capable, DV television. I do not see a difference between real DV and HDR10 in as good as all the cases. Not a 100% sure, but it seems plausible that some movies have purposefully better mastered DV content than HDR10. Which should not be allowed if you ask me, but we all know how the world works.

Then again, HDR is a pretty bad implemented standard in a lot of displays (were it projectors, all LCD tech TVs and even some OLED TVs) just aren’t built with good HDR engines.

I learned that the hard way, my previous PJ Optoma UHD65, was really bad in HDR situations. My current Sony is so much better. Also has to do with the fact that the Optoma is DLP and the Sony is LCoS, but even the biggest improvement is the engine that converts HDR.
And I know that a PJ isn’t the best display tech to use HDR on, but with my current PJ, I really have a great picture with HDR content. Which tells that the engine to show such content is the more important factor in your display.

TVs lately, even when compared to the same real world nits of the older/cheaper TVs, have better HDR capable engines. Which gives it a lot better picture to look at.
I think HDR has its place, but it made the world of film/video go backwards in quality overall. Most people I know like it in bright scenes, but dislike the greyish darker scenes (except for most OLED owners). It never should have caused these bad experiences, means it has just not been implemented well.
Especially because the SDR counterpart versions do look great on the same displays.

But, the main point of my response is this, DV tone mapped to HDR10 will not look better than the original HDR10 material. If it does, it only means that the HDR10 content has been purposefully made of lower quality.

Maybe DV is not superior, but it is dynamic, just like HLG and HDR10+ and HDR10 is just static. So in HDR10 you have a static tone mapping across the whole movie, for the dynamic variants it is scene specific, makes e.g. darker scenes looking better than with static HDR10. The difference may not be that big, but you can truly see this if you directly compare it :slight_smile:

Right, but that requires a DV output signal. If your output signal is HDR10 then you are limited to static tone-mapping. You can’t add information to the output signal that the signal format doesn’t support.

1 Like

that is true, yes…

Thanks for the continued improvements!

Are there any plans to bring DV tone mapping to other platforms (especially RPi 4/5) in the future? That would be awesome. I will certainly send a donation your way if that is added (and maybe even made available to other platforms) or are there technical hurdles which are to big?

I dream of a future where open source software will just take the HDR info in either format (DV, HDR10+) and output it in the format the TV supports (DV, HDR10, HDR10+).

Do you know if people are working on DV support for the RPi 4/5?

Thanks again,
macros

Updated two Vero 4K+ and two Vero V’s to latest and greatest. Everything is working fine.

Only got a really strange error message from one of the Vero V’s with first manual reboot after update, reboot after update itself went fine. No idea what happened. Pulled the plug and did a cold reboot. Issue is gone at this moment. Tried several reboots, everything is fine.

Any idea why I got these messages?

Is on april update the ability to change subtitle position on screen removed ? Before on old osmc version i always could manually on settings move the subtitles down or up like as example had them on height 930.

Is settings>player>subtitle>position on screen> set to manual?

1 Like

From this snippet no, but the text above it should tell us why…

I took another picture of the whole screen. This is the only part I was able to capture.
I can’t make anything about this, but maybe other people can?

It was in a loop and repeating these messages every 10 seconds or so. I was only able to solve this with removing power and a cold startup.

It’s not possible, the Raspberry Pi doesn’t have hardware to support tonemapping, which is why there is no HDR to SDR tonemapping.

The Raspberry Pi is also limited to HDR10 output and there is no HDR10+ or HLG output on these devices.

Of course I am speaking about current models (Pi4, Pi 5) and not a potential Pi 6.

But video output on Pi seems to be put a bit on the backburner with recent changes to mainly rely on software decoding for codecs apart from HEVC, so I don’t expect anything remarkable in newer hardware revisions. I may be wrong about the future, but you won’t see it on Pi 4 or the newly launched Pi 5.

1 Like

Can’t see the full stack strace, so it’s hard to tell.
Let’s see if it occurs again.

Otherwise at a complete (but educated) guess, the system was running low on memory when the update took place, likely caused by memory pressure from running additional services on the device.

Hello
Fixed network issue in MyOSMC is issue which I mentioned here or different?

If yes, it was still not working for me.
I found also some broken parts in Tethering and MySQL sections
Thanks
Jan

I suggest opening a new forum post outlining these issues

Thanks

Sam