OSMC's August update is here with Kodi v19 - OSMC

Tried the update with a pi3b+
Live TV is laggy and crashes the system.
I’m reverting back to kodi 18

Might consider getting a pi4 if live TV works fine with it. I don’t want to get a vero since I have a Hifiberry DAC and I am very happy with it.

I did a complete clean reinstall of Vero, using the latest image. All went well, but when I wanted to input my credentials for opensubtitles.org I noticed that I could not enter my username, because on the keyboard there is no “@”? Really, I searched…

Are you referring to the virtual keyboard?
Did you tried Shift on the left side?

Yes, just the keyboard to use with the remote. I did try the Shift key also.

Which language do you have configured?

Screenshot from 2021-08-17 21-19-15

Ah, with English QWERTY it is there! Thanks a lot, much appreciated.

If you can tell us which kb layout you are using we could get that fixed.

I really don’t know, I just used the standard lay-out after a fresh installation. Maybe it was just a hick-up, because there were more keys on the virtual keyboard with a strange sign.

1 Like

Trying to update from Nov 2020. Problem :frowning:
Entered OSMC after a longish time, was proposed to upgrade with warnings of being a major update, chose to proceed but it just hung there indefinitely. Removed power and rebooted. Went the OSMC->Updates->Manual Controls->Scan for updates now-> it gets to downloading, then briefly show a 0/4 but immediately exits with a message probably saying there were connectivity problems.

Any ideas on how to troubleshoot please?

Thanks a lot.

Many thanks for the new version and rpi4 support.
Nevertheless as stated also by someone on one of the posts above, this version crashes or freezes the kodi during live TV stream. I posted debug logs in one of my previous posts and it looks like the ffmpeg does the crashes here. It is very annoying problem, crashing the TV several times per hour.
For those who are using live TV stream and want to use it on rpi4, stay away from this update until the problem is solved.
Needless to say, that anyway this is great piece of work behind and efforts are very appreciated. besides live TV all is working great n rpi4.

Guys, just found a solution: sudo systemctl start manual-update via ssh did the trick.
Thanks

In reply to my own post from ten days ago: A kind soul shared their knowledge on the Kodi forums. Shoutout to udangaribaldi who solved the issue and helped remove the home menu search box in v19 when using the Confluence skin. All you have to do is comment out the code for the radiobutton with the id of 608 in line 530 of Confluence’s home.xml. In OSMC this file is located in

/home/osmc/.kodi/addons/skin.confluence/720p/Home.xml

The result should look like this:

And now for something completely different: Yesterday I discovered that HDR files wouldn’t play as intended. The TV’s icon for HDR icon was flickering like switching between HDR and SDR constantly. Some white/grey pixels distributed all over the picture. Heavy stuttering, more black than actual frames. Now this might only occurr in combination with certain TVs (mine’s an LG OLED55B6D) but through trial and error I found out I had to deactivate the option

Force 422 color subsampling

in System → Settings → Display.

A few years ago, there was a command you needed to issue via ssh but I can’t find it anymore. No idea if that’s got anything to do with it orit got overwritten by Kodi 19 anyway.

Just to confirm, this release of OSMC does not work on a Pi2. At least not for watching live TV and TV recordings. After imaging the SD card as a backup, I installed the update. Afterwards, live TV (SD) does not render properly (video and sound both jumpy, and some buffering). HDTV does not display at all. Recorded programs (SD) play but again with jumpy and broken video and sound.

During live TV, the CPU isn’t actually that strained, being about 150 % (out of 400% for 4 cores). And there is plenty of free memory. My back end is TVHeadend, running on the same Pi. I don’t have a Pi3 but guess it would do no better.

Now rolled the update back (with the help of the above image) and OSMC is perfectly happy again. TV and recorded programmes again play without a problem including HD.

Will try a Pi4 next.

Just FYI, I have a Pi3B and both live and recorded TV play just fine. I’m no expert, but my eyes cannot detect a difference between the August and November releases.

I’m using NextPVR on the backend – a Windows 10 desktop PC

The Pi3b runs OSMC/Kodi 19 fine, with the backend (NextPVR) running on another system ? Very interesting, especially as Pi2 / 3B differences aren’t huge.

Indeed it does. I just fired it up and verified it again by watching a bit of a soccer game on the local ABC affiliate here in Dallas/Ft. Worth

I have no idea what the architectural differences are between the Pi2 and the Pi3, or even why I’m seeing good results. That’s something for the experts to advise us on, and I’m certainly curious about that.

I have another Pi3 – a Pi3B+ running in my living room – that I’ll also update to the OSMC/Kodi 19 release as soon as I’m sure things are good with the Pi3B I’ve already updated.

There’s a known bug with 4k video combined with 44.1kHz PCM audio. A workaround is setting audio to Fixed and 48kHz or higher. Dolby Digital and DTS seem to be unaffected.

1 Like

Hi FrogFan. I’m no expert, but I think OSMC/Kodi 19 removed the ability for hardware decoding in the Pi2, which must instead render TV pictures in software, hence the poor performance. I guess the Pi2/Pi3 software differences mean that hardware decoding remains in the Pi3, somehow.

Will do some more tests and report back here, sooner or later.
Jim

Hi Jim,

I’m very curious to hear of your test results. I use the Pi3B running the August release every day to watch recorded TV and so far I’ve only seen a minor difference in how the interface looks when fast-forwarding through commercials. Of course, I see the new skin as well and I must say I like it.

Ed

I don’t have any 4K videos to watch, so I don’t see this problem. Moreover, I thought I read somewhere here or maybe somewhere else that the Pi doesn’t “do” 4K. Probably a misunderstanding on my part.