OSMC's July update is here

Here you go: Vero 4k, skip forward: no audio; skip back: start of video - #29 by michael.arnauts

I ask because I do experience something when playing SD IPTV streams currently (native/unscaled output from Vero 4k+):

Every couple off seconds the whole image gets offset a couple off pixels (to the right) for a very short period just to return to the correct offset.

Does not seem to occur for HD streams.

Thatā€™s a slightly different issue.
I am looking in to that and believe I have sufficient sample material to reproduce the problem. Can you confirm that it affects recordings too so weā€™re on the same page?

Will check that later & report back Sam - itā€™s wifeā€™s TV time now :wink:

1 Like

RP4 imagens too??? :smile:

No ā€“ when they are ready this will be mentioned on the blog.

Just tried a recording of an SD IPTV stream (as native H264 TS): it also affects recordings

Oh, and while testing for my SD-Offset-problem I stumbled across another one:

One of the SD IPTV channels does not display correctly. I do have a VP and configured the Vero to output native resolution. The VP displays input signal correctly as 576p and the image should be 16:9 but displays as 4:3, distorted.

Thanks for confirming recordings are also affected.

Re AR issues: have you been using the new AR option we added?

Sam

Which one do you mean?

Itā€™s under Settings. A bit more info on the blog post.

Sam

Hm, I seem to be too blind to find any detailsā€¦

Settings/Playerā€¦ What have you set there for handling of 4:3 content?

Have it set to 16:9 stretch but to ā€œnormalā€ in OSD settings. the channel displaying wrong yesterday was set to 16:9 stretch in OSD changing that fixed the issue. But still wondering about this setting. There is a new option under Settings > Player, something with HDMI in itā€¦ Is this the correct one?

The setting itself is not new, but thereā€™s one new option to choose from: ā€œUse HDMI AVI infoframeā€, correct. This sends a true 4:3 image to the TV/projector.

And how does that work together with the OSD setting? At all?

TBH, Iā€™d recommend leaving the OSD setting to ā€˜normalā€™ and setting the Settings/Player option to ā€˜normalā€™ as well, if youā€™d like 4:3 content to be output pillarboxed, or to ā€˜Use HDMI AVI infoframeā€™, if you prefer true 4:3 output. Kodiā€™s scaling settings are frankly a bit weird as the results are mostly not really what one would expect. Best to leave any scaling to other devices in the chain, if possible.

My main aim is to bypass any Kodi scaling at all :wink:

In that case, use the new global setting and set the OSD to ā€˜Normalā€™. Any other OSD setting will introduce some scaling by Kodi.

1 Like

As Graham says, for SD material, you should use the new global setting and set the OSD value to Normal; also make sure youā€™ve whitelisted 480p and 576p resolutions.

As discussed in another thread, if the output resolution is higher than 576p and your video is 4:3 (for example, if youā€™re playing a 1440x1080 video) then the new global option will give you slightly-less-than-optimal output. For that, Iā€™d suggest setting the global setting to Normal as well. But the rest of the time, go with what Graham tells you.

(I imagine that issue will be addressed at some point, and the new option for the global setting will then become the desirable default all the time).

1 Like