Playback of packed 3D (3D ISO)

They are different devices. There are three elements:

• Software (hints detection)
  • Hardware (HDMITX to send AV Infoframe to signal in to 3D)
  • Hardware (for acceleration of MVC3D content)

Progress is being made on this.

Any news about this or an update in progress which supports packed 3D ISO?

1 Like

Not yet. When we have progressed it will be made available for testing

Just wanted to drop here that this is the single most important feature for me before ordering the Vero 4K. Can’t wait for it :slight_smile: Will this also mean that Blu-ray 3D ISO is supported?

I’m in the same boat. Have a Shield but want 3D playback all in one box without having to flip to my VTEN. Soon as it’s supported I’ll buy. Is there anyway I can be notified?

I’ll keep you informed

Will we already see an implementation in this Sunday’s upcoming update (read about an update coming today in another thread)?

No – there are too many changes that will miss today’s update because there wouldn’t be enough time to test. After that, our focus will then be Stretch

As promised, we will keep you informed when we make further progress.

Sam

“As promised, we will keep you informed when we make further progress.”

I don’t mean to be pedantic, but that’s not much of a promise, I mean, if you never make any more progress, and never say anything again, then you’ve kept your promise…

I think what we’d really like is some idea when you expect to get back to this; back in June you seemed to think it would be about a month off, and it doesn’t seem any closer now. I’m very patient, but it would just be nice to have some expectations set here. If it’s still a long way off, then that’s fine too, but I’d like to know it so I can stop getting my hopes up each month!

I had a conversation with Sam about this as I had been wondering, too…
He said that VC-1 is now on top of the list and 3D has moved all the way down to the bottom. Already asked him to just keep up us posted more often, especially if the fix isn’t as close as we would hope or expect for some reason. So, we wouldn’t have to ask all the time.

I think, he’ll keep us posted :slight_smile:

Hi

Things got pushed back a bit by the work on Stretch, as well as a couple of bugs that cropped up and needed fixing. So immediately, we’re building out the Stretch repository.

What I meant by that is we will start a thread for testing when it’s ready for testing.

Sam

You are free to go on osmc github page, you’ll be able to see every fix that Sam and other developers push to the repository.

Asking here every now and then won’t speed up things.

It’s not about speeding things up or putting pressure on @sam_nazarko and other developers. It’s only staying in the loop about a fix that people have been asking for and are anxiously expecting.

If the message has been before that the fix is just around the corner and then nothing happens for quite some time, it’s frustrating to ask again and again - and getting replies like these or like “replying to these questions over and over again, keeps us from working on things”. Well, just give us an update, if a fix is delayed and maybe a short heads-up why. Then at least I wouldn’t ask anymore, as I’d know what to expect… That’s all it is about. Saves you developers time and we users don’t get frustrated (which I don’t like either as I know how much work you put into all this!) :wink:

2 Likes

Yes, I get what you’re saying.

But please remember that keeping track of every person that asked progress and informing them about things that are in development is also difficult.

Problems are surely being looked into but implementing complex features can take time. And you surely understand that basically informing users of every small step towards completion is tiresome and useless, since you can keep track of things by following the github repo.

For the record, I haven’t asked about the status of this since before I bought my Vero 4k, and it seemed like it was around the corner, back in June.

As I said, I’m very patient, and I understand that priorities can change. But, like anything in life, if you tell people to expect something, and it doesn’t happen the way you told them, then it’s not unreasonable that they’re going to start asking what’s up.

This seems to be the official “what’s the deal with 3D” thread for lack of a better place for any other information right now (short of digging through the source, which isn’t reasonable for most people), so I think all we’re asking for here is an update once every month or two, especially so if the actual update is “it’s been pushed back because of other more important things.”

I didn’t know until today that it had officially been pushed to the back burner. I thought it was just taking longer than expected to get it working. So while this is disappointing to me, at least I know not to keep holding my breath.

I fully agree with this! Until I PMed @sam_nazarko yesterday, I didn’t know either that 3D was suddenly the lowest priority of bigger issues being worked on. The impression I got before was that it had been worked on for quite some time, but was close to being ready. Now I got to know that VC-1 suddenly is way more important although many users reporting it have admitted themselves that they wouldn’t really need a fix soon (no new VC-1 releases, etc., only a few rips being affected).

So, how would I know what to expect now, if I hadn’t asked? You can’t expect users to dig through github and then - with a fix that gets pushed back - just seeing that it’s not worked on. That wouldn’t answer my question whether to expect the fix soon or not, either. :wink::joy:

Maybe a work-in-progress panel would be an idea where users can just see a list of priorities (of bigger issues being worked) and every now and then an update on the current progress?

Adding to what I told @Chillbo:

As for every major feature, a testing topic will pop up once things are ready to be tested.

There’s no need to hold your breath.

Yes, as soon as… We got that :joy:

But the “as soon as” is our very point. If hopes are raised for a soon to expect release of testing material for an issue and nothing happens… How does that help? “Soon I’ll open a test thread for this fix”… Well, what until then, if nothing happens longer than users might expect? I think, @jamie and me are talking about this time span that got longer due to a pushback now. A pushback that we didn’t know about until we asked.

1 Like

And again, Sam didn’t update you not because he was having fun or whatever, it’s because he was working on something else.

Something I dare say more important than a feature useful to some, since Stretch will bring lots of updates which means a snappier OS and overall performance.

Plus, he has to take care of everything else that is going on in the forums, he didn’t disappear for ages. I would cut him some slack if I were you, that’s it.

Hi,

I want to clarify a few things here.

This plays a significant part in it. As @jamie says however – this is the 3D thread, and this is where the progress will be posted when it’s made.

It hasn’t been put on the back burner. But other things do crop up: such as Stretch issues; security vulnerabilities (have to be fixed immediately) and bug fixes (which are never planned).

Conversely, there are few 3D users, and no more 3D releases.

Both of your issues will be fixed, but you can’t pit other people’s issues against each other.
I’ve seen that with the audio thread tonight; despite a fix being available for the current state of audio, and it takes considerable time reminding users of why we can’t push the former fix immediately.

All issues are scored in terms of difficulty and demand. It is a difficult balance, but things do get fixed. I’m not running away and you’ll see that I do reply to every reported issue, daily.

Currently there’s nothing really interesting to report unless you want the technical details.

the procedure is:

• Working post process manager for 3D is needed. I remember on some older kernels this was borked; which is why Memphiz added support for SW fallback for 3D → 2D.

• Enable FP in amports

• Set 3D mode to ON (signalled with AV Infoframe). This is why auto 3D switching doesn’t work properly under AML.

• Set fp mode in sysfs (there’s a bug here, because AMLogic thinks the VIC mode is the same; so it needs to be reset twice).

• Need proper hints detection so that Kodi sets codec to VFORMAT_H264MVC and pre-header feading works for amcodec.

A good chunk of stuff goes on behind the scenes and isn’t always publicised or visible on GitHub. Some work had to be done on our buildserver to accomodate Stretch; and we needed to make sure we’d assure high availability for a large amount of traffic (inevitable with a large distribution upgrade).

Politely put, it wasn’t that.
I don’t mind responding to any questions. But asking me about Panasonic Blu-ray players and OSMC’s roadmap in the middle of an update is probably one for a quieter day.

Sam