Problem with 7.1 E-AC3 audio streams

I hope someone can help me with the following problem:

When I try to play a file with a 7.1 channel E-AC3 audio stream, it seems like only 4.0 channels are sent to the AVR.

I’ve added these 2 screenshots for better understanding.

Furthermore the audio stream selection menu shows a channel layout of only 5.1 channels as you can see here.

Everything seems fine with a 5.1 channel E-AC3 audio stream.
See these screenshots.

MediaInfo for the file with 7.1 E-AC3 audio stream
MediaInfo for the file with 5.1 E-AC3 audio stream

My Setup
Vero 4K+ -> HDMI -> Onkyo TX-NR636 -> 5.1 Speaker Setup

I’ve set my audio settings according to this:
https://discourse.osmc.tv/t/audio-setup-and-information/74203

Hi

Which version of Kodi are you running?

Sam

Version 17.
Can’t tell the exact version number cause I dont have my Vero next to me right now.
But it has to be the newest version before yesterdays v18 update.

Can you post a debug log and let us know the make and model of your receiver?

Thanks

Sam

Right now I only could do it on my Raspberry Pi cause i don’t have my Vero here at the moment.
But the problem both happen on the Pi and the Vero.
The screenshots above are also from my Pi

I don’t know if it helps you but I also use Plex and the Plex web browser interface also displays a channel layout of only 5.1 channels

I need to see how the settings are configured under Settings -> Audio
Raspberry Pi cannot pass through EAC3; nor should there be a prompt to do so, so I’m not sure you configured your audio settings as suggested in @chillbo’s post.

Sam

1 Like

Like I said in my initial post.

I’ve set my audio settings according to this:

It’s not possible to set those settings on a Raspberry Pi – so I’m not sure that you have indeed configured the settings as described in that post.

That post is for the Vero 4K / 4K +

Yes I know.
I only reproduced it on the Pi to take the Screenshots.
On my Vero I have it exactly like in the post.

All passthrough options are enabled.
And as far as i can tell the Onkyo TX-NR636 is capable of decoding all of the formats.

Please post a screenshot of those settings on the Vero and upload a full log via My OSMC -> Logs (debugging enabled) after playing the file so we can identify the issue at hand.

The Raspberry Pi will not be able to pass through 7.1 EAC3.

Thanks

Sam

1 Like

OK, I’ll do it “tomorrow”. It’s 01:30 AM in Germany right now.

Thanks in advance for your help.

No problem. It’s also quite late here.

Take care,

Sam

Hey Sam, should I upload only Kodi Logs or “All Configs and Logs”?

All of them, please.

Here are the logs and screenshots

I suspect a bad rip. Mediainfo says there are 7.1 channels, ffmpeg thinks only 5.1

12:42:10.563 T:3654349568 INFO: ffmpeg[D9D0F300]: Stream #0:1(ger): Audio: eac3, 48000 Hz, 5.1(side), fltp, 512 kb/s (default)

and Kodi thinks there are 4.

12:42:10.648 T:3097486080 INFO: CAEStreamParser::SyncAC3 - E-AC3 stream detected (4 channels, 48000Hz)

Actually it’s a Remux. And I have some more Remuxes and all of them have the same problem.

Try with these samples: https://kodi.wiki/view/Samples#HD_Audio_Test_Clips

If the problem is still there with those samples, there really is something wrong.

With Dolby 7.1 test clip there, everything seems to be working OK. And Kodi is indicating only 4 channels. What does your (@ainsley) Onkyo indicate?

Same as before. @grahamh why do you say everything is ok, if even with these testfile, kodi shows only 4 channels

New log

Onkyo only shows the normal Dolby Digital logo. When I try a 5.1 E-AC3 stream it shows a + symbol next to the Dolby logo.