Problem with update (01 nov 22) - HEVC

Hello. I just installed the new update but I have a problem with HEVC (x265) videos. When I try to read them, it shows “Buffering” and the OSMC logo appears on the screen, but nothing else appends. No picture, no sound from the movie. I just can see the time counting of the movie, but no display. The problem is only with x265 files (HD or 4K). No way to skip forward ou backward on the video.
No trouble with other codecs (x264…).

To get a better understanding of the problem you are experiencing we need more information from you. The best way to get this information is for you to upload logs that demonstrate your problem. You can learn more about how to submit a useful support request here.

Depending on the used skin you have to set the settings-level to standard or higher, in summary:

• enable debug logging at settings->system->logging

• reboot the OSMC device twice(!)

• reproduce the issue

• upload the log set (all configs and logs!) either using the Log Uploader method within the My OSMC menu in the GUI or the ssh method invoking command grab-logs -A

• publish the provided URL from the log set upload, here

Thanks for your understanding. We hope that we can help you get up and running again shortly.

OSMC skin screenshot:

https://paste.osmc.tv/yedininayi
Here is the URL, I hope I didn’t make any mistake.

I’m having probably the same issue on the vero4k+.

4 posts were split to a new topic: XVID green screens after October 2022 update

I can reproduce this - suggest people hold off on the upgrade until it’s sorted out.

I can add using NFS 4 without autofs shows the same behaviour. So type of remote filesystem should not be the cause.

Downgrade is possible using an older image only. You have to restore your settings after reinstalling OSMC, so save them before!
See Reinstalling OSMC - Vero 4K - OSMC

Same problem here… x265 content will not play this morning. (Local network SMB Share)

X264 content does appear to play… I’m not in a position to get a debug log at the moment but i will try later.

No need, we can reproduce the issue here.

1 Like

same here no X265 , X264 plays fine…

The same thing is happening with both my Veros, an older vanilla 4k one and a 4k+

But h.264 files do play. As do TV recordings and Netflix.

When I try to play h.265 files, I get a ‘Buffering’ message, and a time display indicating the file is playing, but no picture or sound.

h.265 files played without issue before and both devices.

Logs for the 4k unit are here:
http://paste.osmc.tv/jatoboyone

Search AFLW and you’ll find the logged test file I used.

Thanks for your assistance.

Same here…
Next time I will read the Forum “before” accepting the auto-update :anguished:
I tested 2 differents x265 media : not showing…
and all my medias are in x265… seems I will have to go outside today… or clean the house… OMG!..

Just updated before reading this post and have the same issue as everyone else.
I did find a temporary work around by disabling “Allow hardware acceleration”
System->Settings->Player

1 Like

Hi! I Can confirm the same thing on my Vero 4K+.
The only pb is that some movies are too slow without hardware acceleration.

Hoping for a patch soon. Hope it won’t bé toi much work for the team.

Same issue on my Vero 4K+.

Is there a way to revert the upgrade while waiting for a fix ?

Hi All,

Same issue here. Like angelmaster, disabling hardware acceleration enabled playback of x265 files but they were playing too slow for me.

Hopeful for a patch soon too :slight_smile:

We are looking in to this.

2 Likes

Yep same issue here.
It took a long time (5min) for the ,“Running dpkg” screen to go to a reboot after reaching 100%.

Now I get ERROR:CVideoPlayer::OpenInputStream-error opening […path to file…] on any H.265 files.

The issue has been identified and we’ll implement a fix shortly (in about an hour).

4 Likes

look 4wrd to seeing it