Red light on, Vero 4K doesn't start anymore

This is happen when i watching movie and power off electricity on the street and after electricity is power on Vero 4K dont boot and see only red light.

Filesystem could be corrupted otherwise the device could be damaged by a surge

I suggest opening a support request.

I have the same issue. Red light.
power supply is ok as Iā€™ve tested my 2nd vero 4k with the same power supply.

it seems I corrupted the vero 4k during the update process.
I was still on 2020-11 with 1 vero 4k in my household and the update via the osmc GUI did not workā€¦so I tried with terminal sshā€¦after 1 restart the vero was stuck with the red light.

I can organize an usb-cable to connect it to my win PC.
please send me the recovery instructions as PM. I hope it will work.

thanks
Chris

Have you tried reinstall from USB Stick or SD Card first?

I tried 2 different usb stick.
Micro sd not yet, but I can try also.

Both usb stick did not work.

With ā€œtoothpickā€ method?
But maybe you are right and you have a emmc issue. If toothpick method doesnā€™t change the outcome use the USB A-A Cable and check as what the device reports on the PC.

Toothpick?
May you explain please? Did not read anything about this method.
I can try toothpick today and micro sdā€¦

Actually would need to have @sam_nazarko comment on it as I am not sure if that method still has any impact on Vero4k with current bootloader.

micro SD does not work.
power supply = ok
2 different usb sticks do not work
sd card does not work

hopefully we can save him :slight_smile:

When you attach a USB-A cable, does your computer show any devices detected? The cable will need to be in the white USB port.

The toothpick method is redundant now and doesnā€™t do anything that doesnā€™t occur by default in the normal boot process.

Iā€™ve lost the cable. I must organize a new oneā€¦This one is pretty rare in 2022 :slight_smile:
will come back to this topic asap when I got the cable. thanks BR

hi,
got the cable now.
I use the white usb port.
the light of the vero turns on ā€œredā€.
in the device manager I see nothing.
I could not say that the device manager recoginzes anything.

anything else I could try?

I tried a 2nd vero 4k with the same usb A to usb A cableā€¦my windows 10 laptop did ā€œding-dongā€ā€¦

the ā€œred light deadā€ vero does nothing. no sound, nothing. just red light.
pushing the reset button inside the port (toothpick) does not change anything.

I have no waranty, no invoice or order date.
Can I ship the vero to London? if you want you can analyse it, repair it, whatever.
if it fails, please find a silent place for this vero - he did pretty well some years :slight_smile:

if you manage to repair it, I would be happy to get it back somehow.

I think I have no chance hereā€¦
thanks
br
chris

Is this the same Vero that you had issues installing OSMC with but resolved in the other thread?

Sam

Nope. Unfortunately not.
This vero is still dead.
Died during an update.
Update crashed and after that i got permanent red light.

I have 4 Vero in total.
3 are doing well.
1 died during the update (red light)

Thanks for clarifying.

Iā€™ve sent you some instructions.

Sam helped me out and repaired my broken vero 4k.
As far as I can understand his description of the error, I had no chance at home to solve it myself.
It was necessary to short the eMMC pins to escape the boot-loop.
Now my device is restored with the latest version of osmc (march update).

by the way - I was out of warranty. I paid the postage myself and Sam invested his time to help me. THANKS A LOT !!!

7 Likes

I couldnā€™t come to a definitive conclusion for the failure, but it looks like your device lost power during a bootloader update.

This caused the device to be in a constant boot loop.

When I shorted the eMMC pins I was able to put the device in to a low level recovery mode and restore the latest version of OSMC to the device.

I will implement some circuitry that allows you to do this trivially on future device revisions in the event you are out of the warranty period and want to open the box. Otherwise customers can of course return their device.

This is the first time Iā€™ve seen this happen however, so in honesty, I didnā€™t know what we were dealing with until it was received back.

I am glad this is now working for you as expected.

Best

Sam

4 Likes

Iā€™m having what appears to be the same problem with my vero 4k now, red light only no output on HDMI, does not show in network. Iā€™ve tried 2 different 5v 2A power supplies with same results, powering via USB on the PC still gives a red light but shows in device manager as ā€œGX-CHIPā€.

recovery from USB does not work and there is no output on HDMI
any advice to try to revive the poor thing would be greatly appreciated