After I updated my Vero 4k this morning both the original remote and my Harmony remote (rc6-mce-lidcd.conf) stopped working completely. I checked the lircd.conf and it did not change. A reboot didn’t help. What else can I troubleshoot?
Can you log in to the device via SSH?
meson-ir is there, the output of dmesg would be useful.
root@vero4k:/home/osmc# lsmod Module Size Used by btsdio 3146 0 bluetooth 242696 1 btsdio 6lowpan_iphc 5799 1 bluetooth 8021q 18519 0 dhd 710852 0 cfg80211 355989 1 dhd dwc_otg 230789 0 wifi_dummy 806 0 ir_lirc_codec 4780 2 lirc_dev 7898 1 ir_lirc_codec mali 194319 5 meson_ir 3745 0 rc_core 22087 4 lirc_dev,meson_ir,ir_lirc_codec fuse 77545 1 amlvideodri 11426 0 videobuf_res 5330 1 amlvideodri videobuf_core 16064 2 amlvideodri,videobuf_res videodev 149326 1 amlvideodri media 20743 1 videodev
root@vero4k:/home/osmc# dmesg|grep meson [ 0.000000] linux,meson-fb: 0x000000007e000000 - 0x0000000080000000 (32 MiB) [ 0.000027] meson_bc_timer: mclk->mux_reg =ffffff800000c990,mclk->reg =ffffff800000e994 [ 0.234697] vout_serve: meson_vout_probe OK [ 0.342118] meson-rng c8834000.rng: hwrng registered [ 0.352732] meson_uart c81004c0.serial: ==uart0 reg addr = ffffff80005844c0 [ 0.352756] c81004c0.serial: ttyS0 at MMIO 0xc81004c0 (irq = 225, base_baud = 1500000) is a meson_uart [ 0.352769] meson_uart c81004c0.serial: ttyS0 use xtal(8M) 24000000 change 0 to 115200 [ 0.391922] meson_uart c11084c0.serial: ==uart1 reg addr = ffffff80005864c0 [ 0.391943] c11084c0.serial: ttyS1 at MMIO 0xc11084c0 (irq = 58, base_baud = 1500000) is a meson_uart [ 0.531191] meson-fb has 1 memory regions [ 0.531219] meson-fb meson-fb.15: assigned reserved memory node linux,meson-fb ok [ 2.522359] cpufreq-scpi cpufreq-meson.7: enter cpufreq [ 2.522390] cpufreq-scpi cpufreq-meson.7: probe cpufreq okay [ 2.524385] gxbb_pm: enter meson_pm_probe! [ 2.524416] gxbb_pm: meson_pm_probe done [ 3.914220] meson_uart c81004c0.serial: ttyS0 use xtal(8M) 24000000 change 115200 to 115200 [ 4.288537] rc rc0: meson-ir as /devices/c8100580.meson-ir/rc/rc0 [ 4.294995] input: meson-ir as /devices/c8100580.meson-ir/rc/rc0/input2 [ 4.295212] meson-ir c8100580.meson-ir: receiver initialized [ 4.349486] rc rc0: lirc_dev: driver ir-lirc-codec (meson-ir) registered at minor = 0 [ 11.255979] meson_uart c81004c0.serial: ttyS0 use xtal(8M) 24000000 change 115200 to 115200 [ 11.256102] meson_uart c81004c0.serial: ttyS0 use xtal(8M) 24000000 change 115200 to 115200 [ 11.270923] meson_uart c81004c0.serial: ttyS0 use xtal(8M) 24000000 change 115200 to 115200 [ 11.271088] meson_uart c81004c0.serial: ttyS0 use xtal(8M) 24000000 change 115200 to 115200 root@vero4k:/home/osmc# dmesg|grep lirc [ 4.344676] lirc_dev: IR Remote Control driver registered, major 230 [ 4.349486] rc rc0: lirc_dev: driver ir-lirc-codec (meson-ir) registered at minor = 0 [ 5.200747] input: lircd as /devices/virtual/input/input3
The full dmesg output would be more helpful.
Have you enabled the RC6 decoder in My OSMC -> Remotes? It’s not clear to see but, does
root@osmc:/home/osmc# modprobe ir-rc6-decoder root@osmc:/home/osmc# modprobe rc-rc6-mce
When you say the “original” remote stopped working, are you referring to the black remote shipped with the device ?
If so this remote is not IR based and uses the receiver plugged into a USB port. So I suspect your problem is not remote related as it would be highly unlikely that both a USB and an IR remote would stop working at the same time.
Can you navigate with a keyboard plugged into a usb port ?
[quote=“DBMandrake, post:6, topic:37293”]
When you say the “original” remote stopped working, are you referring to the black remote shipped with the device ?[/quote]
This surprised me as well.
Yes, a USB keyboard works fine.
I updated my rpi1 this morning and now none of my remotes work at all, not even Yatse Android App.
Thankfully I have another rpi that has not got update so I have swapped it over for now so my wife can use osmc today
Please post some debug logs so we can look in to it further, otherwise we can only really speculate.
That is not a “remote” in the common sense but a remote using the webserver of Kodi so would more likely be related to a network issue.
As Sam wrote debug logs would help to understand your issues.
What logs do you need?
To investigate all your problems (physical remotes and yatse) enable debug logging and then provide URL of
see https://osmc.tv/wiki/general/how-to-submit-a-useful-support-request) for help
Yatse works fine on ‘non-updated’ rpi1 so looks like something has changed there too.
I cannot use the remote to produce a log, please could you let me know know what commands I need to run in SSH
Then as a start just provide URL from
OK, I’ll do that when I get home
You also can enable debuging via SSH as explained here http://kodi.wiki/view/Log_file/Advanced
You would need to stop kodi before editing the file with
sudo systemctl stop mediacenter and after you edited the file use
sudo systemctl start mediacenter to start.
Then try your remote and yatse and upload the log files with
I don’t think this is related to the original post. You’ve completely threadjacked the other person’s post…
Please start your own thread outlining your symptoms fully and providing full logs. Please see http://osmc.tv/wiki/general/how-to-submit-a-useful-support-request/. Your issue may not necessarily be related to the original poster’s, and to ensure that both they and you are able to get their issue resolved, we would like you to start a new thread for clarity.
I’m afraid i disagree, the original post, although about Vero 4K, is directly related.
Since the update our remotes no longer work…
You seem to be talking about Yatse.
The OP is talking about a physical remote.
Sorry Sam, my post states that my physical remote is not working, I also added that Yatse didn’t work to 1. make you aware 2. to avoid being to to ‘use a remote app’