Shutdown Vero 4K via Kodi Shutdown - but how to turn on?

The suspend mode should do the trick

Sam

I use Harmony (+SmartThings) to control all my HiFi components so I decided to add my Vero4k. I know it doesn’t use much power but I decided to add it anyway (and I don’t like the bright blue light that much). A smartplug turns on a several devices including the 4k when my HTPC activity starts. On shutdown, Harmony sends a command to put the 4k into standby (remapped similar to above) and the smartplug switches off after a 1 min delay. It works well but it was more complicated to setup than I expected.

I hope you mean to shutdown not standby

1 Like

Yes, correction, shutdown (red light)

And what about Vero’s operating system? It will somehow harm it, if I will power it off by pulling out power cable? As we all know, this is not a safe way to turn off devices with running OS. It need to be shut down properly. I dont wanna risk that one day it wont boot up, because of corrupted filesystem or OS.

I noticed, that in february update, it was added:
“Added standby / suspend support for Vero 4K”
…does anyone knows, how it works? It will somehow put Vero to sleep, like a PC does? Or there is standby mode as we know it from other electronics, and I can turn on Vero by remote?

Hi!

Any info/updates about the standby/power off method on the new Vero 4K+?

How does the led works in the 4k+? I’ve read in the update, that now there is no blue led, but then you don’t see any leds when it’s on? I don’t know exactly how it works…

Alex

It was added some time ago. The LED will turn red if the device is suspended

1 Like

And you can turn it on again from suspended mode? With IR, USB?

aLeX

Yes

1 Like

I update the Vero 4K+ yesterday and its shuts down on its own after the upgrade !!! In order for the Vero to work I have to remove the power supply and it works again.

The Vero shouldn’t be shutting down of its own accord. CEC can sometimes do this however. If it happens again please start a new post

I also would really like to be able to power down/sleep/wake using the remote. That seems to be a quite minimalist requirement implemented by every other piece of electronics.

Go to Power -> Suspend and you can wake the device back up with a remote press.
This functionality has been available for about a year now.

@sam_nazarko
Thanks for youre reply, but Power -> Suspend does not work for me. The screen turns black, but reappears after 2 seconds

A fix is being sought

This will likely be fixed with some remote improvements that we have planned

Sam

The idea that low-power consumption justifies why the Vero doesn’t need shutdown is pretty short-sighted. Turning it off avoids wear from otherwise constant heat, powers down inactive peripherals or USB devices, and reduces the likelihood of data corruption when experiencing a power outage or short cycling. 24/7 runtime is engineered obsolescence; no consumer wants that.

I bought the Vero 4K+ to replace/upgrade my Raspberry Pi 2. Yes, the RasPi’s startup/shutdown operated the same way, but an IR power module from MSLDigital was available to circumvent that limitation. It would be great to see the Vero updated with IR power functions, as (1) it’s common on almost every remote-controlled electronic device, and (2) an IR sensor is integrated in the Vero.

The SoC is designed with an AO (always-on) power module.

You can turn the device off at the plug if you wish. Anything else would still effectively be a standby mode.