Shutdown Vero 4K via Kodi Shutdown - but how to turn on?

that is very interesting.

thaks for the link.

You’re welcome. If you have any questions or there’s anything we can do just let us know.

Excellent! Just to meet the common intuitivity of domestic electronic devices. People just feel better if they can ‘turn off’ a device, even if it makes no sense from a technical point of view.

Hehe, yep, it’s very strange, but I guess it’s something we should do :slight_smile:

It’s on the list.

Sam

2 Likes

Seems like you could add a learning function in the MyOSMC. Have the user press the IR power button and then have the machine store that code for the wakeup. I have IR remotes (MCE rc6 units) that have a power button and I would find this useful.

IR: yes. But not so useful, because the IR wake needs to be compiled in to the bootloader, so wouldn’t be trivially customisable. If we distributed an IR remote, this would make sense.

But the OSMC Remote is USB and waking from USB is not possible. Most people use the USB remote.

well, my IR receiver for the RC6 is USB anyway. Oh well.

You won’t need it for the Vero 4K as it has a built in IR receiver as well

Yeah…however… I plan to mount the vero on the back of the TV on my ceiling mount. No direct line of sight to the unit. So I will have to use the RC6 receiver or the RF remote.

I’ll figure something out… even if I have to install a little mirror, lol.

We thought of this one :wink:

There’s an eye included, so if you plug it in, you can put the IR extender out.

Do you mind sharing the process on how toggle CEC when screensaver kicks in?

The main reason I want to shutdown the device is that I have attached external HDDs to it, so the Vero is both a media server and a NAS and see no reason having HDDs powered on 24*7 as it’s impact their longevity and reliability.

Disks if configure correctly should spin down also this depends on the disks e.g. WD Red drives like it more if you run them 24x7 than if you start/stop them

The CEC standby is configured in the settings of the CEC adapter in Kodi:
Kodi > Settings > System > Input Devices > Peripherals > CEC Adapter
and set them to something like this:

• Enabled > Enable
  • Make Kodi active source when starting > Enable
  • Devices to Power on when starting Kodi > TV or anything else particular to your setup
  • Devices to Power off when stopping Kodi > TV or…
  • Send inactive source command when stopping Kodi > Enable
  • Put devices in standby mode when activating screensaver > Enable
  • Wake devices when deactivating screensaver > Enable
  • Put devices in Standby mode when putting the PC in standby > Enable

However, I don’t see how CEC standby signals to TV and/or amplifier will help you spin down your NAS?
If want to run a script to shut down (ssh command?) or start up (wake-on-lan command?) your NAS when the screensaver kicks in or stops, I think you should probably look for something like this: Add-on:Kodi Callbacks (not sure if this works, as I don’t use it)

I still don’t get why so many people in this thread are so badly trying to justify that shutdown is not required. There is enough evidence and ask in this thread and forum that customers desire a shutdown features. The whole reason customer purchase Vero and are happy to pay a premium is for the support and hopefully the opportunity to see useful features added or at least feature parity. I just purchased a Vero 4k moving off from a generic S912 running Libreelec, and I could shutdown, turn on the box with no issues, and quite frankly I have noticed no difference in picture and audio quality.

There is a standby mode coming soon.

You are likely standbying the generic box with an IR remote. This is supported; but the OSMC remote is RF based, so it takes a little longer for us to add standby support which works with IR wakeup; CEC wakeup and USB wakeup.

I don’t believe any other device provides wake-up via USB capability.

Sam

Thanks!

I’ve installed and tested the Vero 4K today and love it so far.

I too have been looking for a way to shutdown and start the device with IR. I’m using Harmony Elite so I don’t have problems with line of sight.

I don’t know what is “wake up via USB” exactly but I also own an old Zotac Zbox which has an IR dongle through USB. I remember that I could not turn on the Zotac with IR at the time but I simply had to go in Kodi and change the “shutdown” function to “sleep”. The Zotac can wake up from sleep with USB.

I’ve checked on the Vero 4K and there is no “sleep” option for power off in Kodi settings. Anyway, I would like to add my voice to the people looking for a way to put the device to “sleep” so that it could be awaken at least with IR and I guess USB for the people using the RF dongle.

Sorry for the slow reply!

I’m glad you’re happy with the device.

I suspect that box is Intel based.
Intel devices do indeed support Wake up via USB in their BIOS.

No ARM devices support this currently.
We’re working on this :slight_smile:

Sam

Thanks Sam,

Yes my Zotac Zbox is Intel based. If ARM doesn’t support it, how are you guys going to make it work. Isn’t this a hardware limitation? Are you going to make some “fake” sleep/stand-by mode?

Effectively yes, as there’s less than 0.2W saving from power domain utilisation.

Sam

1 Like