SMB Shares - Cannot Browse After Update

I gave it a go… For some reason when I put my RPi 2 card in to the RPi 3, it would not boot. Some error about failed to start LSB. Swapped it back and it’s fine again.

Strange, it should work. Try overwriting userdata on the Pi2 and see if it makes a difference.

Stop Kodi first with sudo systemctl stop mediacenter

I think his Pi2 may possibly only be a B+.

1 Like

NOTE: This solves the Password Required issue aka “Lock Preferences for smb:” it does not assist with the Operation not permitted error.

I think this will help as it is a simple solution that with very little effort will fix this issue until it gets solved with an upcoming patch.

1. Add a user with a password or create a password for an existing account.

If you don’t want a logon screen on your computer, please follow the steps below:

Open Notepad and copy this into it

@echo off
net user osmc osmc /add
net localgroup Administrators osmc /add
net user osmc /active:yes

Save it as osmc.bat

Next open Notepad again and copy this into it

Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Winlogon\SpecialAccounts\UserList]
“osmc”=dword:00000000

Save it as osmc.reg

run both files as administrator

Now you have a hidden account
username: osmc
password: osmc

1. Now follow the instructions found here and change the Security settings in your shared folder:

If you modified an existing account give that user or Everyone Full Control.

If you followed my instructions above for a hidden account please either add a new user osmc and give that user Full Control or give Everyone Full Control.

If you find that does not work. Please follow @FaustoGSR’s steps 3 & 4 shown below

<passwords>
    <path>
        <from pathversion="1">smb://192.168.1.2/</from>
        <to pathversion="1">smb://<usercreated>:<password>@192.168.1.2/</to>
    </path>
</passwords>
2 Likes

What level of windows is this for? gpedit not found on my win 10 machine.

I tried these files with Windows Server 2012 R2. The account gets created, but OSMC still gives me “operation not permitted” when I try to access the server.
The account osmc exists. I think all other settings on the server are ok - it used to work fine until I updated osmc.
What else should I try?

I’m on Windows 10 pro on a local home network connected with a router. Sorry I forgot to mention that.
I haven’t tried it personally but there is supposed to be a corresponding registry setting to change it via regedit.

Standard disclaimer about editing your registry applies here. Don’t do it if you don’t know how to recover your system. Always export (back up) your registry before making changes and have a method to restore it if needed!

1. Open regedit.exe as administrator
  2. Go to the following key: HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Lsa
  3. In the right pane, see if you can find a REG_DWORD named “forceguest” without quotes.
  4. If the value is set to 0, it should be the same as setting that policy to Classic.
  5. If the value is set to 1, it supposedly corresponds to treating a user login as Guest (which is what was keeping osmc from connecting with a username and password).

My system has the registry key and it is set to 0. I’m not sure what the default value is if the key isn’t present.
Good luck, hope you get it sorted out! It wasn’t fun losing my shares on the weekend and I was close to just re-imaging the sd card with the 4-1 osmc image and turning off auto-updates. Luckily I have a usb 3 stick in my router that I used until it got sorted out.

I wonder if that is because I have always put my Security setting in my shared folder for “Everyone” to “Full Control”. I even added “osmc” for good measure and did the same.

Check out this link and let me know if it works.
http://kodi.wiki/view/SMB/Windows#Windows_8.1_fix

“Everyone” already had full control. I’ll add full control for osmc, but I’m skeptical.
Sharing and security model is “Classical” - local users authenticate as themselves.

That is the problem. “Everyone” is NOT Anyone, it is everyone that the computer “Knows” in other words all users of the PC. That is why when you create an osmc user on the PC once one share is connected all other shares will connect as long as they’re shared with “Everyone” as you have now become a member of the “Everyone” group.

Hope this makes sense.

1 Like

Now “Everyone” and “Osmc” have full control. Still get “Operation not permitted.” when I try to access this server.
Is there a log on OSMC or windows that gives more information about why it’s failing? I’ll try poking around windows.

tail -f .kodi/temp/kodi.log in a ssh console

Windows Event Report

Try renaming /home/osmc/.kodi/userdata/passwords.xml then reboot the password file may have become confused if there were repeated attempts to connect and save credentials.

Hi all!
I’m having troubles after last OSMC updating. In the specific, it seems “disappered” all my SMB links. I have an hard disk connected to the router, where are archived my files (movies and wallpapers for my sections).
When I try to launch a movie, OSMC tell that it isn’t the library, and the backgrounds of my sections (eg. sport, movies, etc.) are all black, cause OSMC can’t load the image, always linked through SMB.
The HD hasn’t problems: both with pc and smartphone i can preperly see all contents.
Any ideas?
Thank You!!

I assume your issue is similar to this thread therefore moved your post here. Please in the future search the forum first before opening a thread.

Yea, sorry :slight_smile:
Could be similar, but OSMC doesn’t ask me for U/P.
I only can’t see the path to the network HD, so I can’t restore the access to my data.

There seem to be lots of suggestions for possible fixes on here based on editing Windows files. That’s to be expected, of course - we’re talking about SMB file shares - but it doesn’t escape the fact that something in the latest build has broken SMB file access from the OSMC end.

Here’s hoping Sam can find a fix - with a home server and almost 2Tb of files all based around a Mac sharing via SMB, I don’t really want to start playing around with Windows installs and NTFS…

Incidentally, I don’t get asked for a password. I just get ‘Operation not permitted’ when I try to set up a new share with the correct IP information.

Regards,

John

Good point. I added a note for clarification so people know that the solution is for Lock Preferences for smb: error not the Operation not permitted error.

Looks like he has an idea what happened so I’m sure he is on the case :wink:

I have a Pi3, and I also have had this issue since the update. I tried renaming passwords.xml, it didn’t help. One thing I noticed is that it only had one entry, for my main Windows HTPC system, but the OSMC Pi3 has this issue trying to connect to both that HTPC and my Windows 10 desktop.

Glad I’m not the only one. I messed around with this on and off over the weekend before coming here. Tried a couple of the easy fixes on my Win 7 machines that share with my pi2 to no avail. Think I’ll just hold my breath for an update to set it straight rather than changing my Windows machines to suit this little bug in the update. Speed and fortune to you, Sam! Love this project!