SMB Shares - Cannot Browse After Update

You can manually edit passwords.xml to add the missing shares, remember that it must match the settings in sources.xml. Capitalization and minor differences matter.

Also IP addresses should be used rather than machine name

Right now I don’t have any passwords.xml, as I renamed it as suggested. But I’m not even trying to access sources I’ve already set. Every time I try to test this, I do it by going to Add Source and seeing if I can get to something on the network. (I’ve also tested the sources I’ve already made that used to work. They don’t, but it takes some time for them to time out, so I find this to be faster.)

I tried editing a source to use IP instead of name, no difference.

Rename it back to passwords.xml then edit it to use IP addresses rather than names, the corresponding entry in sources.xml will need to use IP address as well

Name resolution and browsing smb sources has been hit or miss in Kodi/XBMC for as long as I can remember

Hi,
Jumping on board this train. I seem to be experiencing the same issue after the latest update. Although the share with Windows 10 is working fine, the SMB share on my Asus RT-AC66U router stopped working (username/password stopped working).
Looking forward to the next update to get the network drive files back.
Cheers!

Just to add to the thread - seeing the same problem with username/password being rejected for smb shares on my Asus RT-AC68U.

It sounds like you have the Password Required issue aka “Lock Preferences for smb:” error. Have you tried the instructions I posted above?

Ah, sorry, I should have been more specific - I have the password rejection issue trying to connct to a share on my Asus router which is Unix based.

James_SS, I am having the same issue. Kodi is unable to locate SMB shares on 2 OSMC pi 2 with most recent April _2 update. My media is shared on a Unix-based ASUS router with NAS capability for SMB. A user and password are set. However, Kodi asks for username and password and does not accept the correct user and password. A third pi running an up-to-date version of Raspian Stretch is able to access the media.

I assume this isn’t running Kodi with upstream libsmbclient (which is the real issue), or hasn’t been updated in the last four days.

Still working on it, not much progress so far. I have been working on this for the past three days (it’s about to approach 3AM again).

1 Like

You’re correct. The pi that can access the smb shares is not running Kodi.

Hi boys… i’m newest here and i have found this thread by google and i have obtain this similar problems on my Pi2:
On my Windows 7 X64 i have some sharing folder (i thinks using SMB right) and from “Advanced Sharing” i have gave “Full Access” for “Everyone”.
This is working for a lot of time… i ever used my shared folder on my OSMC installation but from recent upgrade i thinks i have obtain this problems and now osmc ask a password for access to my SMB sharing folder.

On Windows 7 i have disabled the “Sharing by Password” option but no help and osmc continue to ask for a password also it’s not set on windows :slight_smile:

I have read here the possibly “Workaroung” by @Phoenix (here → SMB Shares - Cannot Browse After Update - #44 by Phoenix) but i have some question:

1. from promt of dos “net user osmc osmc /add” create a new account on my Windows 7… but i force to use “osmc” or i can use somethings like “ShareIT” or ever i can use ?

2. After that… i thinks i need to add this user to sharing folder option right ? Or i can leave all permission to “Everyone” ever i use it ?

Can’t work this one out, sorry chaps.

I’ve spent a few days on this and have exhausted possible fixes from our side. I contacted a Samba maintainer as well as the Debian Samba Maintainers List and they have acknowledged some regressions. We may have to wait for them to fix this upstream. Hopefully this will be addressed by them in the next couple of weeks.

I’m unable to produce an old libsmbclient that doesn’t crash via Kodi, and new versions have moved to a new build system, ‘waf’. The migration for this seems half complete, so it’s not trivial (to a non Samba developer) how to build just libsmbclient for Debian and doesn’t build reliably on all OSMC systems.

We simply must wait.

Thanks for the effort and careful diagnosis. It helps a great deal to know where the problem lies. will freeze updates on the machines that still work and survive. Staggering updates strategy does work.

1. You can use a login and password what you want. This is only example.
  2. Someone on forum wrote that “everyone” include all accounts, so should work without change, but in case you can add it.

Sorry if this is a dumb question, but can we just reinstall a previous build? Where would I go for that? Or do we really have to wait?

Actually the current image available at download.osmc.tv which also would be choosen by the installer would not have that problem until you upgrade.

Thank you. I’ll tweak on this a little more tonight, then likely just reinstall and wait until the all is clear to update. Is there anything I’ll really lose in reinstalling, besides my Kodi preferences and add-ons? I run a fairly vanilla Kodi on the Pi2.

If we’ve already upgraded, is there a way to revert the SMB upgrade without resorting to full reinstall of OSMC?

No as the packages are not available in the repository anymore, currently the only quick and dirty way is using an old image.

Can you guys revert all users to previous build that worked with an update