[SOLVED] Wifi passphrase not accepted

Firstly, confirm that your installation is running the most current updates.

Second, test function of wifi dongles using a powered hub to rule out most common issue of insufficient power supplied to the dongle.

Unfortunately I don’t have a powered hub available. I’m using a 2.1a power supply and nothing else is connected. I do have other power supplies available so I can rule that out this evening. As i said the connection is rock solid with RaspBMC so a power issue would seem unlikely.

It’s not unlikely that OSMC demands more power to run than Raspbmc did. The problem is that dongles are notoriously demanding of power and the old pi b’s were wishy washy on how much power they would actually output to USB devices. Of course all that is assuming that your PSU does not have the voltage falling on it’s face when the demand for amperage increases.

EDIT: I’m not saying that a hub is 100% the answer but, in all my experience here and with Raspbmc, power issues must be ruled out.

Ahhh ok good to know. Will try other dongles and different PSU’s. I will mess around and let you know. I really have no reason to switch it from Rasp to OSMC except for me always wanting the latest and greatest

Both logs is while wired internet is plugged and dongle aswelly dsmeg http://paste.osmc.io/tuhapifaci
Full log: http://paste.osmc.io/sufatopanu

Fresh installed osmc Rc3 on rpi2.

edit: Tried once again with my main network which has special characters and my guest network thats only having lowercase characters and numbers. still no luck.

Does no one know what the problem is? Im kinda stuck and can’t watch movies in my bedroom since this is not working. actually tested with openelec aswell, no luck their either.

If it’s not working with OpenElec as well it’s likely not a software issue.

Have you tried moving it much closer to the AP temporarily to rule out a signal issue ? How far is it from the AP and through how many walls ? All I see in the logs is it successfully connecting and then some timeouts - most likely cause is weak signal or interference.

Insufficient power from your power adaptor is also a possibility as some wireless adaptors are quite power hungry to the extent that you might need to enable max_usb_current=1 in Pi Config.

It’s 1 meter from my AP no walls just a curtain lol. hmm okay, does this one help you more: new full log

This time I unplugged ethernet, tried to connect to my main network (I’ve changed the password so it’s just one uppercase character and one number, no special characters) power supply is from this site I belive, its the white one with a pi onto it.

Silly question, but if that’s its normal location, why don’t you just use Ethernet ? Ethernet is always going to be faster and more reliable than Wireless, especially if you are trying to stream high bitrate videos.

That’s not going to work - the minimum passphrase length for WPA/WPA2 is 8 characters (maximum 63) so technically your router GUI should never have accepted that passphrase when you tried to configure it.

The Wifi GUI in OSMC will not accept any passphrase shorter than 8 characters.

Sorry I wasn’t as cleared as I could. It’s a temporary station for the pi its going into the bedroom when I’ve figured this out. About 10 meters away from the AP with one wall. The current password is 12 characters, one uppercase and the rest is lowered plus one number. WPA/WPA2.

No idea I’m afraid, nothing really in the logs that helps - your next step would probably be to try a different model of adaptor or try connecting to a completely different wireless network as a test.

My guest-network doesn’t work aswell, gonna try with a few other distros and figure this out. thanks for the help anyways.

When I say a completely different network, I mean from a different AP, not from the same AP…

I see, gonna try it out at a diffrent location. and another question: can osmc handle hidden networks?

in RC3, with a couple of fixes, it can quite good.
in this or a very similar topic we have checked that.
I can connect to my hidden network, there’s only a problem reconnecting to a saved hidden network.

What problem reconnecting to a saved hidden network ?

During my testing with hidden networks it always reconnected automatically on boot.

if you manually disconnect from the hidden network but not forgetting it, the ssid remains in the list but you can’t connect to it again just clicking on it, you need to re-connect to the “hidden ssid” entry of the list

Hi there,
i have a pi1B running OSMC and also have massive WLAN problems. I just re installed the system and did all the updates by ethernet. when plugged, everything works fine but WLAN is still not working at all… I use an Edimax EW-7811.

Log should be found at http://paste.osmc.io/ uhagesifep

sorry for posting in this solved section, but it seems to fit in here. Thanks for your help

Not sure what you mean by “not working at all” - I can see from your log file that your wireless adaptor and wireless network are both detected.

Does it list the network name in the GUI and give you a chance to type in the passphrase ? What are you entering the passphrase on - a keyboard or using the onscreen keyboard with a remote ? Do you have any special characters in your passphrase ? (eg other than letters and numbers)

My network is detected. I tried to type the passphrase both by keyboard and remote (no special characters, QWERTZ keyboard activated).
I have an IP adress, but status is wlan0 (No internet)
However, my laptop has internet access. As a beginner, I may have overseen any basic setting.

Thanks for your fast reply!