Strange behavior for HLG - Kodi 19.3 - November update

Hello and merry Christmas to all,
I’ve just been trying to Play LG Cymatic Demo in HLG but with no luck, I feel this is happening right after the November update. It was working fine before and my setup for TV and AVR was not changed. Also what is worth to mention TravelXP demo is working just fine and HLG is triggering at my TVs
Can anyone please try to play this file on same version of OSMC and check if it’s triggering HDR HLG?

Files to test:
LG: Cymatic Jazz HDR HLG UHD 4K Demo | 4K Media

TravelXP HDR HLG UHD 4K Demo | 4K Media

My version -
osmc@osmc:~$ cat /etc/os-release
PRETTY_NAME=“Open Source Media Center”
NAME=“OSMC”
VERSION=“December 2021”
VERSION_ID=“2021.12-1”
ID=osmc
ID_LIKE=debian

Many thanks in advance

I can confirm. Maybe @grahamh has an idea

Plays as HLG

Color range                              : Limited
Color primaries                          : BT.2020
Transfer characteristics                 : HLG
Matrix coefficients                      : BT.2020 non-constant

Does NOT play as HLG

Color range                              : Limited
Color primaries                          : BT.2020
Transfer characteristics                 : HLG / BT.2020 (10-bit)
Matrix coefficients                      : BT.2020 non-constant
SEI_rbsp_stop_one_bit                    : Missing

Debug Logs
https://paste.osmc.tv/oqulokomuz

Many thanks for your efforts in this.
I’ve also been asking on zidooforum, because I found that it causing problems to multiple devices.
For example Zidoo can’t play this because of the error in HDR SEI message.

Ok, then assuming it is not a OSMC issue but either the encoding broken or an upstream issue that will come to OSMC when it is fixed.

HLG definitely doesn’t work as well under OSMC as it has done in earlier releases. In particular, the “football” HLG test loop on iPlayer doesn’t play correctly - but it used to, and it does play correctly on other devices. Something got broken in the August build, I think, or shortly before that.

See HLG UHD Rec 2020 playback

and [TESTING] Kodi v19 builds for Vero 4K / 4K + - #864 by dajoe

We are still working on HLG implementation.

Yes. The 4.9 kernel is different. Some HLG is currently playing as BT2020-SDR because that’s what’s signalled in the frame headers. We should have an answer soon.

Hi, just wondering if there is any update on this? Noticing most HLG content still outputs as tone mapped SDR on the Vero, presumably due to this frame header issue. The same content triggers HLG with no issue if played using the TV’s internal player. Will this issue be fixed in the next update? Thanks :+1:t3:

Have you tried the staging repository to see if this is already solved?

I thought it was already fixed but perhaps it’s not been released. Let me check.

1 Like
  1. Login via the command line
  2. Run the following command to add the staging repository:
    echo 'deb http://apt.osmc.tv buster-devel main' | sudo tee /etc/apt/sources.list.d/osmc-devel.list
  3. Run the following commands to update: sudo apt-get update && sudo apt-get dist-upgrade && reboot
  4. Your system should have have received the update.

Please see if the issue is resolved.

I also recommend you remove /etc/apt/sources.list.d/osmc-devel.list after updating.

I’d also recommend you deactivate the staging repository. You can do so with the following command:
sudo rm /etc/apt/sources.list.d/osmc-devel.list.

Please note that we will automatically disable this update channel after 14 days on your device in case you forget to do so to ensure that your system reverts to the stable update channel.

1 Like

Hi Sam, no I haven’t sorry, please can you tell me how to add it? I’m happy using ssh etc

Edit: sorry just seen your additional post, will try that later thanks!

See above.

So this process successfully updated osmc to the Jan 2022 version but unfortunately the HLG videos are still not triggering HLG on my OLED and they are still being tone mapped to SDR :frowning:

They should be displayed as BT2020/SDR which is somewhat compatible with HLG. At least the hues should be right but the EOTF won’t be. It seems the necessary kernel patches made it to the repo but the Kodi patch is not there yet. We had some wrinkles to smooth out, then I got distracted onto something else …

Thanks Graham, yes the tone mapping is fine but there’s no HDR and I love my HDR :slight_smile:

Look forward to the fix in due course, much appreciated!