Support OSMC on Odroid C2

This won’t happen until after a 64-bit PC port. The S905 kernel drop is in quite bad shape right now, so I’m waiting for things to improve from AMLogic before looking at this.

Sam

thanks for quick replay. we will wait.

Yes, we will wait

seems like odroid has a working hardware accelerated kodi 16.1 on the official Ubuntu 16.04 LTS release for the Odroid C2. although I would prefer the dedicated system setup of the OSMC I think I will try this one out when their next batch ships.

Now an LibreElec version is working for C2 with good results.

I have the libreELEC version running and it runs great all things considered. Frame rate switching doesnt work, thats the main issue I have but I set the gui to 24hz and turn frame rate swithing off since 99.9999% of what I play is 24p. Passthrough doesn’t work well I’ve heard but I haven’t tested it. I’d prefer OSMC because I find openelec/libreelec too closed down (no sudo, no apt-get etc).

Hopefully we’ll get an OSMC port soon enough!

One note though, the C2 runs hot…even when doing nothing.

Maybe the RSS feed is on by default?

On my C2 rss if off and the temperature on idle is 59 degrees celcius [using LibrElec]
On my RPi 3 the temperature is 49-50 degrees celcius when osmc is doing nothing [room temp. is about 28 degrees C

Hi alien

Do you find the odroid to be much faster than rpi3 particularly when browsing GUI etc.

Thanks

NO the GUI is not faster than osmc on the Rpi 3. However I could be wrong because I don’t have any pvr addons, some say loading epg is very much faster on C2

Not sure why but hdmi cec is much smoother in osmc than libreelec

Edit - the latest update made the GUI as fast as the Rpi and they added pulse8 cec, so now everything is on par with RPi

I have a pi 2 and I don’t find the C2 to be noticeably faster navigating the gui. I’ve also decided the C2 is too much hassle than it’s worth in it’s current form so I’ve sold it to a friend and ordered a pi 3 from Amazon. Stability is just more important right now and I can’t even tell how much support the C2 will get from the community. The instabilities means my GF complaining when it freezes etc and that’s definitely not worth it lol.

I’ll still follow the progress of the C2 and if it ever achieves it’s full potential I may revisit it, but for now, the Pi’s are just better, even if that’s not the case on paper.

I vote for a C2 port, too. I’d love to play H.265 content and the option to switch to Android for DRM-protected VoD apps. :wink:

You won’t get DRM on the C2. You may be better served with a Vero 2 for that sort of thing.

My eMMC seems to have stopped working on my C2, but a micro SD is fine. I did a first boot a few days ago to OSMC ARM64 and it seems snappy.

Kodi seems to segfault, and a significant amount of work is needed to get it to work with AML’s 3.14 kernel which has renamed all of its VIC Modes.

My first priority is PC. I’ll revisit C2 in July or so. And before someone comes and posts here in July and says ‘It’s July’. I’ll update when I have news, and these things take time. I have to do a lot of work on new OSMC infrastructure (build system, build server), as the current workflow is working against us and consuming unnecessary time.

The demand has been quite low for this board. I suspect because the Pi 3 is ticking quite a lot of boxes, so we’ll need to check in July if the port is worth fully maintaining.

I will let you know as I make progress and those sources will be available in the OSMC GitHub repository.

Sam

5 Likes

Thanks for the update Sam :smiley:

Yeah, thanks Sam.
OSMC support & H265 support are fast becoming THE major considerations for my next media center investment.

1 Like

glad to know it has a chance for official osmc port. Was thinking of grabing one to tinker with.

I have a odroid c1+. I bought it because it promised better specs than pi2. My experience with odroid and hardkernel was not good at all. The kernel and specially the video driver was full of bugs.
I think that if this board becomes officially supported in osmc it would be one of the best news for the odroid community, but I’m sure it will be a lot of work and bugfixes.

Well i just bought a C2 and there’s a LibreElec image out there that runs like a dream. Sam please consider porting osmc to odroid c2

I’ve had a C2 running LibreElec for a couple of month now, too. It’s working really well, considerable update over the RPi 1B I had running OSMC before. Unfortunately LibreElec doesn’t cut it for me, since I need a full Linux distro back-end to run things like a file- and mailserver and openvpn server in the background. I know Sam has a lot of things to do, just hoping this feature request won’t be forgotten.

1 Like

i just ordered one as i got a new uhd tv and would like to have x265 capable htcp and the rpi3 doesn’t cut it. however i got used to the osmc interface on my rpi2 id like to have that on my c2 as well.