Upgrade Failed

ok and another failure id suppose?

so i selected no, and the bottom of the screen shot is what it stated…

restarted atv, by holding down the menu button and the - sign on the controller,

still get a frowny face…

prolly gonna just start over from scratch, and turn off updates for now? not sure what else to do?

If you run my above commands, you’ll find yourself back to normal. Otherwise, you may want to wait for the January images to be published.

Sam

what above commands? ive ran everything uve posted in this thread… and it has only resulted in the frowny face…

I run the commands you wrote above and it solved my problems.
I rebooted my atv after and everything went back to normal. I was using a HDD install and had the frown face after facing the NVIDIA driver missmatch error.

i just tried the osmc update, & it too failed, so i tried to upload the logs, but it failed as well: “failed to get url”

ran apt-get update/dist-upgrade
but dist-upgrade failed with

E: Sub-process /usr/bin/dpkg returned an error code (1)

ran apt-get autoremove, got this Configuring libgl1-nvidia-legacy-304xx-glx:i386──────┐ │ Mismatching nvidia kernel module loaded │ │ │ │ The NVIDIA driver that is being installed (version 304.131) does not match the nvidia kernel module │ │ currently loaded (version 304.125).

rebooted to frownyface, reran everything, still sad:-(

osmc@osmc:~$ sudo apt-get dist-upgrade
Reading package lists… Done
Building dependency tree
Reading state information… Done
You might want to run ‘apt-get -f install’ to correct these.
The following packages have unmet dependencies:
atv-kernel-osmc : Depends: atv-image-4.2.3-7-osmc but it is not installed
E: Unmet dependencies. Try using -f.
osmc@osmc:~$ sudo apt-get -f install
Building dependency tree
Correcting dependencies… Done
The following package was automatically installed and is no longer required:
atv-image-4.2.3-6-osmc
Use ‘apt-get autoremove’ to remove it.
The following extra packages will be installed:
atv-image-4.2.3-7-osmc
Suggested packages:
fdutils atv-doc-4.2.3-7-osmc atv-source-4.2.3-7-osmc atv-image-4.2.3-7-osmc-dbg atv-manual-4.2.3-7-osmc
Recommended packages:
initramfs-tools linux-initramfs-tool kernel-common
(Reading database … 24036 files and directories currently installed.)
Preparing to unpack …/atv-image-4.2.3-7-osmc_7_i386.deb …
0 upgraded, 1 newly installed, 0 to remove and 0 not upgraded.
8 not fully installed or removed.
Need to get 0 B/15.3 MB of archives.
After this operation, 43.4 MB of additional disk space will be used.
Do you want to continue? [Y/n] y
/var/cache/apt/archives/atv-image-4.2.3-7-osmc_7_i386.debor directoryctorystalling another version: Read-only file
E: Sub-process /usr/bin/dpkg returned an error code (1)
osmc@osmc:~$ sudo apt-get dist-upgrade
Building dependency tree
You might want to run ‘apt-get -f install’ to correct these.
The following packages have unmet dependencies:
atv-kernel-osmc : Depends: atv-image-4.2.3-7-osmc but it is not installed
E: Unmet dependencies. Try using -f.
osmc@osmc:~$

lather rinse repeat:-( and as apt-get supresses linefeeds for the ascii progress bar, unfortunately that makes it hard to cut&paste, so redirecting stdout to file yields

osmc@osmc:~$ sudo apt-get -f dist-upgrade
Reading package lists…
Building dependency tree…
Reading state information…
Correcting dependencies… Done
The following NEW packages will be installed:
atv-image-4.2.3-7-osmc
0 upgraded, 1 newly installed, 0 to remove and 0 not upgraded.
8 not fully installed or removed.
Need to get 0 B/15.3 MB of archives.
After this operation, 43.4 MB of additional disk space will be used.
Do you want to continue? [Y/n] Preconfiguring packages …
(Reading database … 24036 files and directories currently installed.)
Preparing to unpack …/atv-image-4.2.3-7-osmc_7_i386.deb …
locale: Cannot set LC_CTYPE to default locale: No such file or directory
locale: Cannot set LC_MESSAGES to default locale: No such file or directory
locale: Cannot set LC_ALL to default locale: No such file or directory
Examining /etc/kernel/preinst.d/
run-parts: executing /etc/kernel/preinst.d/001-preprocess-atv 4.2.3-7-osmc /boot/vmlinuz-4.2.3-7-osmc
Done.
Unpacking atv-image-4.2.3-7-osmc (7) …
dpkg: error processing archive /var/cache/apt/archives/atv-image-4.2.3-7-osmc_7_i386.deb (–unpack):
unable to clean up mess surrounding `./boot/config-4.2.3-7-osmc’ before installing another version: Read-only file system
dpkg-deb: error: subprocess paste was killed by signal (Broken pipe)
locale: Cannot set LC_CTYPE to default locale: No such file or directory
locale: Cannot set LC_MESSAGES to default locale: No such file or directory
locale: Cannot set LC_ALL to default locale: No such file or directory
Examining /etc/kernel/postrm.d .
Errors were encountered while processing:
/var/cache/apt/archives/atv-image-4.2.3-7-osmc_7_i386.deb

dunno wtf is up w/“read-only f/s” as i had installed using the sd image…

I think that the best thing you can do is reinstall OSMC from scratch and turn off updates till Sam release new image in January.

just did, but installer couldn’t connect to network:-(
so i reused OSMC_TGT_appletv_20151118.img.gz
installing files now…

I had to re download the installer myself…it kept asking if i was connected to the network~!

ok, everything back to normal, remounted /boot r/w, ran sam’s fix:

sudo apt-get update
sudo apt-get dist-upgrade -y

but it crapped out:

perl: warning: Falling back to the standard locale (“C”).packing libsasl2-2:i386 (2.1.26.dfsg1-13+deb8u1) over (2.1.26.dfsg1-13) …eparing to unpack …/libldapWrite failed: Host is down

Hi,

The instructions above are not my complete suggestion of a fix.

Please read above for the commands you need to run. That’s all

Your connection would have died because ConnMan would have upgraded. If you do not press any key, the connection will restore a few moments later.

The installer will say it’s not connected to the network until you download the latest version from Download - OSMC.

Sam

reloaded with http://download.osmc.tv/installers/diskimages/OSMC_TGT_appletv_20160118-HDD.img.gz
(mislabeled 2015.12-4-HDD) and all’s well…fixed the r/o /boot, but i’ll just wait for the final hdd…don’t wanna wear out the screws;-)

That’s not mislabelled.

The archive (20160118) is build date.
2015.12-4 is the build version.

Hope this clears it up

Sam

thanx, sam, i’ve been out of s/w dev for going on 7 yrs now, so i’m not up on the latest…damn i miss vms, the developer’s o/s;-)

btw, update worked after remounting /boot r/w, however i’ve had crashes when using right-arrow to change channels (ch.change delay=1s)

and right when 2 recordings ended & a 3rd began, a channel selection buffered for 22%, then crashed, which also wiped out the channel group i’d just created…w.a.f. takes a major hit;-}

oh, and i can’t add weather sources…
logs @ http://paste.osmc.io/fujoxoxuto

Has anyone done this update from within osmc with success? Or is it failing for everyone?

I got the update notice on one of my atvs yesterday, and accepted it. I didn’t pay attention while it was working, but after a little while when I came back, the screen was just black. It never came to life again it seemed. I didn’t have time to actually check out what had happened, but I worry that something went wrong. Will take a closer look today.

Maybe the black screen could be due to this box using component? Would update clear my video output config?

Cut the power and restarted, and now it’s doing sad face, black screen, sad face.

Ran the fix from sam, and osmc came back to life. Error-message on start of osmc says “Error installing: atv-image-4.2.3-7-osmc(7)”

Found myself in the exact same situation as you bo1e…

However, I used to use the Confluence skin and after my (manual) update like advised by Sam above the new OSMC-skin was back. Also my remote was not working anymore. Not sure if the remote-problem has anything to do with this but still…

Is the image-4.2.3.7 the name of the January 18th release?

4.2.3-7 just refers to the kernel version. If you have remote problems please start a separate post.

Sam

I wasn’t even able to start the upgrade process. Through My OSMC, I selected update. It downloaded the update, however, I got an “OSMC Update Error”

"Error installing:

Please report this on the OSMC forum."

Hi guys,

I would strongly recommend those still having problems to just download a January image which will be made available shortly, as debugging this without proper logs or instructions being copied is going to make things quite challenging.

You will have issues updating for the next five minutes or so as some mirrors are refreshing with the new January update.

Sam

I shouldn’t upgrade by going through the MyOSMC update, but instead should download the image and reinstall? I have an install from the official working apple tv hdd install.

The mirrors are still refreshing, which is why you may have had an issue updating.

If you update and experience the sad face, then you can follow instructions in this thread to get back on track. The suggestion for some to install the January image is for those unfamiliar with the command line

Sam