Vero 4k crashing scrolling through movies

i know i’m up to date as i’ve run apt update && apt dist-upgrade

i’ll wipe the logs and keep an eye out for it happening again. seems unlikely that the scrolling crash is related to the “video not playing but audio is” issue

Most recent log uploaded here
On paste.tv site: zasewedofu
Noticed system cpu usage was pinned at 100% and playback was stuttering a bit on a 720p TV show.
Not sure why the usage is so high when nothing playing.
It sad faced right after I checked the System Info page for the cpu usage.
Something is just not right since updating to 19.3

I’ve noticed that neither the crashing whilst scrolling or freezing duriung playback errors occur when accessing the video files via the File Manager in Settings.

Which could indicate that it is a problem with decoding some of the thumbnails or fanarts

I have the same problem. Only appears to occur on 1 of my Vero 4k+ boxes. Can reproduce without issue. Long list of movies (3000-ish), highlight the scroll bar area, hold down “down” on remote, scroll through a fair bit of the list, highlight a movie in the list, wait for a few. sad face crash. If you dont want to wait, can speed it up by doing the same steps but instead of waiting at the end, open the context menu for whatever movie you are on (immediate sad face crash).

All movies are on a NAS, so no usb powering issues. Vero4k+ is plugged into ethernet port and is powered by the power supply that came with it. Skin in use is the Kodi default skin.

I am not the only person with this issue. Convinced a pair of my friends to purchase vero 4k+ boxes. The SAME ISSUE occurs for them. If you scroll through the list of movies too fast, you get the sad face crash.

Logs Attached
https://paste.osmc.tv/eyekudujoq

https://paste.osmc.tv/mapetiyedo

(pwds changed to repro for log submission)

Your case seems a bit different.

Dec 20 17:11:11 osmcDS kernel: Out of memory: Kill process 2708 (kodi.bin) score 595 or sacrifice child

The OOM issue is known and I think it’s a memory leak introduced in Kodi v19. I’m trying to narrow it down.

What is odd is that I have 2 identical vero 4k+'s with identical setups. Ive never been able to repro the issue on 1 of them, while it is trivial to repro it on the other. EVERYTHING is the same. Same network, same brand\model of connected receiver (with same setup), same brand of TV, same values in the userdata folder between devices, mySql database so both are pulling from the same DB and same NAS device. The only thing that is really different between the 2 is the size of the TV they are attached to. The device that repros the issue is powering a significantly larger TV (65" vs 34")

Anyway, if you need me to do anything or install anything let me know. Can give you VPN access to the network so you can ssh into the device(s) if that would help. THanks!

Is one device used more than the other?

Yes. The device that does not have the issue is used SIGNIFICANTLY more.

The device that has the issue is used fairly sparingly. I can repro the issue over and over. Crash, repro, crash, repro, hard reboot, repro. It happens often enough that that vero device is virtually unusable.

Can you post logs from both devices? I’ll see if I can spot differences

My unit is a 4k and is used every day uncertain if that helps or if any my logs yielded anything helpful.
Unit is always quite warm to the touch.

Does disabling thumbnail extraction prevent the crashing?

Here is the log from the “good” device
https://paste.osmc.tv/etasanotes

Was able to eventually repro the issue on the “good” device it just took a LOT longer. Scrolled from beginning of list to the end multiple times before it crashed.

I think it’s just a known issue with Kodi presently, from a search on their forums…

Disabled thumbnail extraction. No change

As I can reproduce this outside of OSMC, I think it’s a memory leak in Kodi.

I’ll see if it’s a known issue upstream.

This happens when you have too many ‘posters’ loading/caching happening at once; very easy to repro (explains why your ‘more-used’ vero does not experience it, as the posters are already loaded in the local cache). This has happened for a long, long time on Kodi, BTW. I’ve only found it was alleviated when bumping my x86 machines up to 8GB RAM back in the day, and I assume that’s still the case.

No, this didn’t happen before I upgraded to 19, had zero issues scrolling through the entire movie wall.
But with the previous comments about memory leaks, and my Vero running at 100% doing nothing, certainly seems something is amiss.
I switched to the Aeon Silvo skin and things are better but still happens.
Unfortunately my favorite skin, Aeon MQ8, is un-useable on the Vero now :frowning:
Getting tired of rebooting the Vero constantly to just watch a movie, hopefully someone finds a root cause/solution soon.

I just want to add, that I also have the same “Out of memory” error on my Vero 4k+ when scrolling through the Movie tab.
Here are my logs: https://paste.osmc.tv/ofohejojos
Changing the sking to Aeon Silvo does not help. I’m using the default OSMC Skin.
My current workaround is browsing manually through “Files” in the Video tab

Don’t forget, as a workaround you can scroll through and play movies via File Manager with no issues.