Vero 4K General Discussion

The official OSMC Remote (included) is RF based. It does not require line of sight for operation.

We also have an IR receiver built in to the device so that users that want to use something else can do so (e.g. Harmony universal remote). We include a TV mounting kit, as well as an optional IR extender which can be used as an eye with the device mounted behind the TV.

Sam

2 Likes

Brilliant !

An RF remote is a godsend IMO. No need to worry about line-of-sight, or aiming it at the TV if you are near the end of range.

Using Yatse on my phone, solved the line of sight issue with my old ATV, but Iā€™m not inclined to let others use my phone as a remote. Not to mention the risk of getting popcorn grease all over it. hehe

That said, the additional option of IR built into the Vero 4K is great.

Iā€™ve looked at mounting kits for the Vero 2 and having one included with the Vero 4K is a very nice touch.

Any photos of the Vero 4k mounting kit ?

In case you did not know: the remote included with your Vero 2 is also RF.

There are two mount holes on the Vero 4Kā€™s base which allow this. Iā€™ll let someone take photos of it behind their TV, as itā€™s a bit late here and theyā€™ll probably take a nicer snap. Itā€™s nothing fancy, but it will stick to your TV, and size / brackets donā€™t matter, and it will stay stuck!

Sam

1 Like

Yup. Thatā€™s one reason I bought a Vero 2. Iā€™m thinking I should have waited a couple months. Canā€™t say I wasnā€™t warned.

Your Vero 2 still has four years of software updates and support. Itā€™s still a very capable device.

Sam

Very very true. Besides you can always wait for the next big thing.

4K isnā€™t my thing anyway. I donā€™t watch many movies in that resolution, and none of my own gear can handle it.
The HD audio is nice though. :smiley:

Others, who have nicer TVs will want the 4k now, and others who are simply ready for an upgrade, will be somewhat future proof for a while.

For perspective, I kept my ATV until the last ā€œsecondā€.
With V17 coming out, and v18 (with retro gaming) on the horizon, I knew it was time to make the jump. I decided that the Vero 2 made more sense than the Pi, because I just wanted it to work.

Had I not already upgraded, this would be a no brainer IMO.

Awesome news! But please convince me, why wouldnā€™t I buy a Xiaomi Mi Box for half the price?

1 Like

It doesnā€™t support a lot of features OSMC does, like real HD audio passthrough.

But the main reason: because it doesnā€™t run OSMC. Apples and oranges.

1 Like

IMO, It runs android for one.
Long term support too.

If Iā€™m not mistaken I seen to remember reading that Kodi for Android lacks developers. Is that true ?

Thanks Sam! Makes sense. Just one question, sorry if this is not the right place, but I want to use it to play files from my nas. Does osmc give a rich ux in terms of local / network files? Ie fanart, info about shows, etc.
I care less about yt / netflix/ etc.

Yes it does.

OSMC will let you play from your NAS and you can use library mode with Kodi to achieve episode information etc.

Sam

@Boland you will want to do a little reading on the kodi.tv pages about setting up a shared MySQL database if you are planing of having more than one device. As for file sharing, you can use SMB (windows) or NFS (linux) to share the files from the NAS. I have 2 Piā€™s running OSMC, and 2 laptops with Kodi and they all share the same files and database.

1 Like

Cough, coughā€¦

I thought I would take peek in here to see what is happening :wink:

For clarification the Xiaomi Mi Box DOES support HD Audio passthrough when used with Kodi Krypton since a Firmware update on the 11 Jan. (Uses backported Android AML Nougat IEC Audio code):

See here for details.

Also whilst we are talking Audioā€¦the AMLogic S905X - found in the Vero 4K is limited to 96kHz - due to its onboard DAC:

Discussion here.

There is one thing I do agree on. These AMLogic S905ā€™s make great Kodi media players once you remove the Android limitations and use a Linux based OS. :heart_eyes:

They should update their website then.

96Khz on S905x is not a hardware limitation. But DTS HD MA and LPCM only do 192Khz in 2 channel mode anyway.

Furthermore, the difference in sound between 96Khz and 192Khz canā€™t be discerned by ear in blind testing. 96Khz sounds as good as a live performance. 192Khz is just a waste of disk space and a marketing gimmick

2 Likes

Bigger number are always better - especially when marketing to geeky Audiophiles.
Otherwise the Vero 4K would just have been called the Vero 3ā€¦:wink:

Personally I have a hard time telling the diff between 4K and good 1080p when sitting 5m away on the couch watching something.
Bigger brighter, modern TV screens make a noticeable difference visually though.

Whoā€™s website are we talking about ?

Nice timing for the new box. In Germany DVB-T is switched off at the end of March, so people here have to upgrade to DVB-T2 or switch to cablevision, sat or IPTV. I just ordered a vero 4k as I tested OSMC before on my raspi and it felt great.

1 Like

Hi,

Iā€™ve just had an email about the Vero 4K, offering a Ā£10 discount on my next order. Sadly i ordered as soon as it became available. If iā€™d have known this was coming, i wouldā€™ve waited obviously. Can anything be done? Is this the price for early adoption/support?

Send me a message and your email and order details and we can wave it.

We only do it on a case by case basis however otherwise everyone would do this or say they received a discount code

Edit: Iā€™m guessing from the timing now that you actually received the discount because of your first Vero 4K purchase

Just got the 10Ā£ discount mail after i ordered the Vero 4K, but never mind, consider the 10Ā£ a donation :wink:

3 Likes

Some customers will receive the discount code after purchasing one (if they subscribed to the Newsletter) and the code is meant to be used on a second order or to pass to a friend privately. Sorry if this isnā€™t completely clear.