Vero 4K General Discussion

The same from me :wink:

1 Like

When can I expect the Vero 3 to be shipped or have I overlooked something? I’m really forward to migrate from my Pi2… :slight_smile:

We are shipping today. You will receive an email with tracking details when your order ships. There are way more orders than I expected however, and we’re a small team, so it’s going to take us a couple of days to make a dent in this.

Sam

Ordered this beauty :heart_eyes:
Can’t wait to open the box but I’m patient, good luck with all the orders Sam!

@Sam: sounds good!

I’ve also ordered a Vero 4K and am looking forward to receiving. I’ve run Raspbian and OSMC on Raspberry Pi 1, 2 & 3 hardware, but now is the time for a little more horsepower as I’ve begun dabbling with 4K content and HEVC.

I actually tried a 4K Chinese TV box based on Android 6 and it has been very disappointing and riddled with issues that the manufacturer Beelink have been hopeless at resolving. The Android apps are the standard Android apps intended for Touchscreen devices rather than dedicated apps for Android TV which are intended to be controlled by a remote control and so the user experience is poor.

Seeing the journey that Raspbian and OSMC has come along really demostrates that without proper software support and quality ongoing development that any piece of hardware is just worthless without this. The quality of the Debian Linux distribution really supports this & opens up choices for running additional services etc on the hardware.

With regard to devices like Raspberry Pi & Vero for streaming services. I was looking for streaming devices that support the latest features of Netflix and Amazon Instant Video. I’ve not been able to find a single external device that supports 4K and HDR for these services. You can get 4K without HDR support for Netflix or Amazon from devices like the latest Roku or Nvidia Shield etc. The only way to my knowledge to access Netflix or Amazon 4K with HDR is to purchase a TV with the apps built-in. I’ve seen these running on a LG OLED and it simply looks amazing compared to 1080p on my old Samsung LED. The HDR and true blacks of an OLED makes more of a difference than the 4K resolution for sure.

Hence, my choice to purchase a Vero 4K.

1 Like

Lol. Had the same message. But don’t bother :slight_smile: Take the cash and have a nice glass of wine. You deserve it! :smiley:

And in regards to what others have said. I run OSMC on all my devices (Raspberry PI B+, 2 and 3, Vero, Vero 2, and next Vero 3 :slight_smile: ) Yes, testing them all … :}
And I do also agree - that the Android-Based media-devices really s*ck … I had some, but in the end I did put a mini linux on these I could, and ran xbmc at the time. Until OSMC came out.
Dumped the old devices all together, because after a year, no more support, no more updates etc.
What a waste of energy and resources.

“And in regards to what others have said. I run OSMC on all my devices (Raspberry PI B+, 2 and 3, Vero, Vero 2, and next Vero 3 :slight_smile: ) Yes, testing them all … :}”

My story precisely, and with the same conclusion.

Also, NETFLIX in 4K is magnificent but inconvenient on my Samsung TV, hope it can be on the Vero someday.

Sold! Order gone in - thanks Sam :slight_smile:

1 Like

Just ordered! Looking forward to an upgrade from the old ATV1 :grin:

But I see the specs state 2 x USB 2 only… no USB 3 - so no playing media from USB sticks/HDDs :confused:

EDIT: Forgot to mention I was referring to 4K content, to which Sam has responded :blush:

USB 2.0 provides more than enough throughput to play back content from a USB hard disk or USB stick. Even 4K content will not be problematic.

Hi, i want to know if i can use terminal to install Deluge torrent downloader,moonlight(nvidia game streaming),weaved and few other applications or reformat entire vero and install OSMC again.On my raspberry pi 2 i even made a dual boot thingy in which on top of osmc i installed custom verion of emulationstation and to go to emulationstation i have to press emulationstation custom icon inside programs in osmc. so is that possible ? basically all i wana know is do we have full access of the osmc operating system like we have on a raspberry pi 2 with osmc installed ?

Why wouldn’t usb2 play media from usb and hdd?!?!? What do you think happened in the past when usb3.0 didn’t even exist.
It plays well.

Hi,
i’m french, so sorry for my bad english.

ive a raspberry 2b, and when i download (with usenet) on my SD card i’m limit to 4mb/sec ( whireless and ethernet ). (my sd card is more speed than 4mb/sec)

on my computer the speed of download with usetnet is 11mb/sec.

So the raspberry is not quite powerful for speed download.

My question: the vero 4k is able to download to 11mb/sec on whireless ?

thx

I neglected to mention I was referring to 4K content! In any event, Sam has mentioned that playing 4K content should be fine with USB2, so all good.

1 Like

From the specs site, the Vero 4K should be doing 802.11 ac/b/g/n WiFi, where n provides up to 300Mps.
I think however that the eMMC storage will provide it the biggest speed boost.

The 802.11ac WiFi will do 433Mbps

You should get good speeds

Sam

Yes, it’s the same OSMC. You have SSH, apt-get and if anything goes wrong you can reinstall

Sam

on my raspberry, my wifi dongle is an edimax 802.11b/g/n 150Mbp.
but i download at max 4 mb/sec.

it for what i want a machine who allows a good speed.
I think the problem is maybe the processor (Little powerful) or writing speed

CPU and USB bus combined from experience.