Vero 4K General Discussion

Vero 4K + NFS share on a Synology Nas. Amazing :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

1 Like

5xRaspberry PIā€™s WiFi + (Vero 2 + NFS Shares + MySQL DB)HP MIcroserver gen8 + Cat6 Cabling) :smile:
Vero 4K will go llive too as soon as it gets here :slight_smile:

Oh no! I ordered the Vero 2, but got recommended to order the 4K. I didnā€™t realize it didnā€™t support Android. So at this point Android support is only a possibility and Iā€™m guessing that possibility is 6+months away. Is that about right?

(My specific need is video conferencing my baby with his grandparents)

Thanks!

-Mario

Hi Mario

Weā€™re looking at getting someone in to work on an Android release of OSMC, but we need to gauge demand first. We did work on Android for Vero 2 but there was not much uptake.

Which application would you be using for video conferencing?

If this is a deal breaker for you, I can refund you. Just let me know your order number. We are also working on a desktop environment for OSMC running Vero 4K, but if Vero 4K isnā€™t meeting your immediate needs, I can quite understand. Itā€™s a hell of a device when it comes to modern media playback and running OSMC though :wink:

Cheers

Sam

I have my Vero 4K now for about 2 Days and i have testet a view Video files and also 4K Testfiles from here: http://www.4ktv.de/testvideos/

My actual TV does not support 4k so the test was just for fun.

But i was really impressed that all files played well, i thought i will get a ā€œMode not supportedā€ from my tv.

All files played well and without lags or problems.

The CodecInfo shows me that the RAM was between 37-45% and the CPU between 15-25% per core even on the 85Mbit Files, that was really impressive because i expectet much more CPU load.

At the moment, i really canā€™t find any files on my server that cause problems. All files are running well and smooth. :slight_smile:

great work.

thanks a lot

8 Likes

Would love to be able to boot into android for Netflix support etc. Then this product is complete!

Thanks for all the effort.

The low CPU usage while playing 4K, is because the S905X SoC doesnā€™t use the CPU to decode the videos, but has a dedicated hardware decoder built in.

From the Amlogic S905X Specifications.

Amlogic Video Engine (AVE-10) offloads the Cortex-A53 CPUs from all video CODEC processing. It includes dedicated hardware video decoder and encoder. AVE-10 is capable of decoding 4Kx2K resolution video at 60fps with complete Trusted Video Path (TVP) for secure applications and supports full formats including MVC, MPEG-1/2/4, VC-1/WMV, AVS, AVS+, RealVideo, MJPEG streams, H.264, H265-10, VP9-10 and also JPEG pictures with no size limitation. The independent encoder is able to encode in JPEG or H.264 up to 1080p at 60fps.

1 Like

Vero4K - so far the best Vero IMHO.
Very honstly, I spent not that much time installing it (As previous vero versions).
Everything worked out of the box. Nothing needed to fine-tune, fast forward in movies is a bliss, HD Passthrough works as expectedā€¦ The IR Extension is the best enhancement when you have an IR Remote (Harmony), and it is fast. That device is amazingly fast!

Sam :slight_smile: Congratulations on the best Media-Device I have ever had!

7 Likes

Great to read this, itā€™s my first Vero but I already used the OSMC on my Raspberry Pi2/3. After reading this forum i was convinced to order the new Vero 4K. When I have the device Iā€™ll review this beauty!

@mkub; I might be, if the price is right. Mostly for testing the Android dual boot option. Where are you located?

Cheers,

@thansen_dk; Is your NAS accessible on a local network or have you found a way to access it remotely/via web? I own a NAS that I am struggling to stream content from, expect via the dedicated (Android) cloud app supplied by the producer.

My Synology NAS is only accessible on my local network for security reasons, except for rare occasions then I open the ports necessary for accessing files on WAN, but I have never streamed outside my local network.

can u kindly post pictures of vero itself from all sides and accessories especially remote from both sidespls ?

does vero 4k support HDR and will i be able to connect my xbox one S controller to vero 4k using bluetooth ? 1 last question is that can i install emulaionstation operating system on vero 4k for experimentation ?

Yes ā€“ discussed above.

There are detailed images on our website and you can see close ups of the remote too.

Havenā€™t tested ā€“ but it will be the same as other OSMC platforms. So if it works on Pi it will work on Vero 4K.

In theory: yes, but youā€™d be on your own here. Retrogaming is already possible however with Kodi v18 test builds for Vero 4K.

Here you are :slight_smile:
Apart from what you see can on the pictures, there is also an IR extender and a HDMI cable provided in the package.

2 Likes

OK, thanks. I stream remotely, but am looking for ways to enable this without using the proprietary app.

I donā€™t know what kind of NAS you have, and what protocols it supports, but WebDAV could be a possibility.
http://kodi.wiki/view/webDAV

I have a white Xbox One S controller with Bluetooth support so I could try pairing it this weekend if I get the time.

Are you expecting it to work in Kodi as well or only Emlulation station ? Iā€™m not sure if xbox controllers would be mapped correctly in Kodi out of the box, but it should be possible to make it work as it just acts as a standard Bluetooth Joystick as far as I know. (Iā€™ve tried it on Windows 7 but not Linux)

As for emulation station itself - some of the emulators may not work if they are targetting Pi specific APIā€™s like OpenMax. However the ones that support Open GL ES and Alsa may work - again I have only tried Emulation Station on a Pi 2 before.

Wow, didnā€™t realise it was that small.

1 Like