Vero 4K General Discussion

See my review of the Vero 4k here: Click

2 Likes

See my review of the Vero4k here: ClickMe

1 Like

It is a Zyxel 540, and WebDAV is enabled, though itā€™s nothing Iā€™ve ever used or learned how to useā€¦:thinking:. In over my head here, methinksā€¦

Will there also be the opportunity to boot android? In other words: Will you provide an android version to boot from like you did for Vero 2?
This depends on demand.

We will probably do this if enough people want it, and we would offer an Android release that boots from SD card.

Just to make sure the demand counter gets increased: I want it (already bought the Vero 4k regardless of this) :beers:

Cheers

@sam_nazarko - you indicate that it can decode 4:4:4, 4:2:2 and 4:2:0 Chroma subsampling in HEVC. But what about in 10-bit video?

I have been playing with an Odroid C2 which runs a similar chipset and it just blackscreens my TV on 10-bit 4:4:4 and 4:2:2 so wondering if Vero 4k will resolve that where the Odroid C2 doesnā€™t?

I receive my new Vero 4k and I want to tri the Infrared Sensor. Anyone knows where should I plug in? There are two jack holes :smiley: and how to activate it? It wil work with any remote?

Try the plug on the outsideā€¦ (not the one next to the HDMI).
But the cable is just the extension. There should be a sensor inside :slight_smile:

ODroid C2 is based on a different SoC.

If you have any doubts, PM me some links

Sam

1 Like

Yes Iā€™m new to OSMC but I do have a RASPBERRY PI 3 and also a Windows pc running Kodi 17. Just bought a new tv LG OLED 55C6p and playing video directly from a hard drive or attaching the hdd to my 4k Blu-ray player works great. Is the Vero 4K mainly used as a 4K streaming device?

The Vero 4K can stream 4K content, but you also have the full power of OSMC and Debian behind it. If you use OSMC on Raspberry Pi you will be familiar with the features it offers. For example the Vero 4K can act as a NAS.

If you want a Kodi experience with 4K support you should get the Vero 4K.

Sam

I couldnā€™t see it listed on the product page or find it anywhere in this thread but what architecture is the CPU? The page simply says ā€˜Quad Core 1.6Ghz 64-bit processorā€™ but is it x86_64 or is it ARM64? Or something else.

Itā€™s a 64-bit ARM processor.

Cheers

Sam

ThatĀ“s what a /proc/cpu returns.

AArch64 Processor rev 4 (aarch64)

Enjoying my Vero 4K but I wish it had twice as many USB ports! Using a (powered) USB hub means an extra wall-wart too - and those things often hog space on power strips. Iā€™m up to 7 of the blighters now (plus 6 regular plugs) just for the living room TV and all itā€™s sources.

I assume the answer to this is yes based on a few previous posts but, can it bitstream dts-ma/dd-hd?

And less likely, will a future device (Vero4Kv2?) ever have gbit ethernet? Raw UHD streams are almost certainly going to get choked on 100mbit.

Just wow Sam Vero 4 touched down yesterday and was up and running in minutes of arriving with the backup and restore function. Fast and great features thank you very much :+1:

Yes. Atmos and DTS:X too for the true audiophiles.

You are asking about a product roadmap thatā€™s at least 3 years away. Weā€™ve just launched Vero 4K, so weā€™re not looking at hardware upgrades for a long, long time.

We are moving away from the yearly cycle as Vero has matured now and we are more interested in investing in the software stack. In a yearā€™s time, there wonā€™t be any significant improvements in silicon to warrant a hardware refresh. I suspect this will be the case for a while. Weā€™re ticking the main boxes:

• 64-bit, 2GB RAM, 16GB eMMC
  • 4K HDR playback
  • HEVC and 10-bit playback support
  • HD audio

Youā€™ll also be hard pressed to find them. 4K Blu-ray is the main goal we are aiming for here. This will be the most prevalent 4K source for the forseeable future and Vero 4K can play this.

You can play higher bitrates, it will just take a few seconds to buffer before it starts playing. As the device has 2GB RAM, you wonā€™t have any issues. You could also attach a USB Ethernet adapter, which would get you higher throughput. We avoided Gigabit for a good reason, and until the situation changes, weā€™ll stick with 100mbits.

Grab one. Itā€™s got a money back guarantee, but you wonā€™t want to return it.

Sam

Good to hear!

Sam

Done.

1 Like

Awesome, weā€™ll ship it on Monday.

Thanks for supporting OSMC

Sam