Vero 4K+ Issues and questions

OK, so help me understand. Are you saying that the Vero version of the TVDB scarper is a Python script, whereas the same version of the scraper for the Fire Cube is a binary, which accounts for the 6x performance difference?

If so, is there a binary version that will run on the Vero?

Which version of Kodi are you running on your Cube again?

Kodi is moving everything towards Python based scrapers. So if youā€™re on an older version, this will catch up with you eventually.

Itā€™s my best guess.

Iā€™m running 20.0 Nexus on the Fire Cube. Yes, the very fast TVDB scraper is version 3.2.8, and the slower one, TVDB (New), is the same version as the one on the Vero 1.0.3.

Add-On info for both the Vero and the Fire Cube it says the ID is METADATA.TVDB.COM.PYTHON, so I can only assume that both of these are python rather than binary.

Nevertheless, while the Python version is slower than the binary version on the Cube, itā€™s still nearly 4x faster than the one the Vero. Since this is a python script, it stands to reason, that itā€™s the same script regardless of the hardware itā€™s running on. So then the difference in performance can be traced either to the hardware, the underlying OS, or KODI itself.

So for lack of a better description, this is bug. Not a critical bug, but a performance bug, and also a functional bug, because of the aforementioned actor thumbnail problem.

On a side note: If this is what we are to look forward to with Python scrapers, itā€™s a step backwards. Yes, I can understand the desire of standardizing across all the platforms via Python scripting, but if itā€™s at the detriment of performance, itā€™s a bad idea.

I didnā€™t make that decision. Kodi did. From a technical perspective, it makes sense as it makes it easier for scrapers to be developed and updated without having to update Kodi each time.

Iā€™d suggest waiting for Kodi v20 on Vero 4K / 4K + before commenting further.

Weā€™ll have test builds very soon

Sam

Could this be because the firecube has twice the processor cores and nearly twice the CPU clock speed as Vero4k?

Depends which model he has - but for sure the ARM on the latest model is faster.

Itā€™s a Gen 2 (2019).

Processor Amlogic S922z
CPU Hexa-core (Quad-core at up to 2.2GHz + Dual-core at up to 1.9GHz
GPU ARM Mali G52-MP2 (3EE), 800MHz
Storage 16 GB Internal
Memory [RAM] 2 GB

Thereā€™s a difference, to be sure, assuming the Vero 4K+ is still running on the S905D:

So letā€™s put performance differences aside for a moment. What about the Actor thumbnail not showing for TV shows problem. They donā€™t show regardless of which scraper Iā€™m using (TVDB, TMDB, XEM or TVMaze. This is some sort of bug in KODI

We have looked at the feasibility of achieving what youā€™ve asked for internally. Itā€™s possible, but regretfully as you are the only user to request this, we arenā€™t keen on allocating resources to support such a feature.

Weā€™d prefer to allocate more resources to improving the 3D experience on the whole, and our focus is on commercial Blu-ray material, including 3D MVC. As Iā€™m sure youā€™re aware, weā€™ve invested significant time and effort on supporting 3D Frame Packed output, going above and beyond the SoC manufacturerā€™s initial implementation and delivering the best 3D experience on any AMLogic hardware platform, let alone probably the best on any platform today.

Another reason why we would be reluctant to implement this is that it would lead to some confusion ā€“ there would be a multitude of configuration options to make this work in the way youā€™d want and with our initial testing it doesnā€™t work on all displays.

Thanks for your understanding

Iā€™m confused Sam, what feature request? Are you referring to the 3D 4K? I thought that tanio99 was looking into that, but if thatā€™s not possible, then Iā€™m fine without it.

What about the Actor thumbnail bug?

Correct.

We will check the thumbnail bug separately

Thank you

Is this occurring on your Fire device as well?

Sam

No, the Fire Cube is fine, the cast shows the actor thumbnails. On the Vero, it doesnā€™t make any difference which scraper was used to scrape the show, actor thumbnails do not show up.

Thanks for clarifying.

So:

• same skin?
  • same Kodi version?
  • same scraper?
  • Have you tried exporting library from Amazon device to Vero?

Sam

• same skin? Yes, same skin, Rapier
  • same Kodi version? The Fire Cube is on 20.0 Nexus
  • same scraper? Yes, I used both The TMDB TV Shows and the TVDB (new) python version
  • Have you tried exporting library from Amazon device to Vero? NO, I havenā€™t tried that

Do the TV Shows actor thumbnails work on your Vero?

I think this a Kodi v19.x problem
Your Vero is not running Kodi v20.x

This will be available soon.

Iā€™m pretty sure this is not the case. Iā€™m about to install CoreElec 19.5 on my Libre Computer, and will let you know the results.

Update:
I installed CoreELEC-Amlogic-ng.arm-19.5-Matrix-LePotato.img.gz on the LibreComputer, set it up, installed the Rapier skin, then installed the TVDB (python) scraper, and scanned a few folders to the library. They all have the actor photos.

If youā€™re willing, I can share a Kodi v20.x build in advance.

Iā€™m assuming youā€™re starting with a fresh library on all devices?

The scraper on CE 19.5 will be the same as OSMC (delivered via Kodi r

Sure, I can give it a try.

I can back up the .kodi folder first, just in case I need to go back

@Dudeman Regarding the missing thumbnails with TV shows:
Do you have this issue only with the Rapier skin?
What happens to this if you switch to the OSMC skin? (to be sure sure restart the mediacenter and refresh the lib)
Are the Rapier versions all the same (12.3.5)?

Just for fun I installed Rapier skin on a Vero4k+ with a staging of

Linux osmc-vero4kplus 4.9.269-26-osmc
vero3-mediacenter-osmc 19.5.0-16

and for me it worked out of the box (never used that skin at all).