Vero 4K+ Still Usb 2.0?

Does the latest vero 4k+ still contains usb 2.0 ports and not 3.0? Why o why😭

Because 480Mb/s is enough for any sane media stream?

5 Likes

4K UHD rips max out at 128Mbps (very unlikely).

But usb 2.0 max out at 20 mb or so and btw i talking about streaming the content from external hard disk connected to vero 4k+ to other tv.

USB 2.0’s theoretical performance is 480Mbps, not 20Mbps.
Any video that Vero 4K + supports can be played back or streamed via USB if your disk is fast enough.

There is a money back guarantee, but USB 2.0 will definitely meet your requirements.

I have tried playing 250Mbps 4k h265 from my external USB3.0 HDD, connected to Vero4k. It plays, but with stuttering. USB 2.0 is the bottleneck here. From internal storage, it plays ok. But that was only test file, really nobody is encoding with such big bitrate.

Why I am little sad about Vero4k (or 4k+) not having gigabit LAN and also USB 3.0?
Well, with my old HTPC, I was used to copy new media to its SATA HDD over gigabit LAN. Transfers was about 70-90MB/s, limited only with speeds of HDDs.

I have external 2.5" SATA 500GB in USB 3.0 enclosure, connected to Vero4k. But even with new Vero4k+, and its 1Gbit LAN, it is impossible to reach transfer speeds from before. Because its USB 2.0 bottleneck.

When I want to copy some bigger media to my external USB 3.0 HDD, I must connect it to my PC, do what I need, and then return it back to Vero4k.

Yes, its not as convenient as it was before. However, Vero4k other advantages have outweight this one disadvantage. Bother me a little, but I can live with it. :slight_smile:

If Vero4k+ would have also USB 3.0, except its gigabit LAN, there would be no bottleneck at all.
I hope Vero’s future successor will have also USB 3.0.

I have switched all my devices to USB 3.0, because I realized, that life is too short for waiting for slow USB 2.0 / 100Mbit LAN data transfers. Especially when USB 3.0 and 1Gbit LAN are common things for several years.

Especially, when there is a goal for the device, that is planned to be future proof for 5 years. That is a long time, so it needs to have most fastest interfaces or features to its date. Both USB 3.0 and 1GBit LAN was common things when Vero4k was launched.
Its similar like when you doing cabling in your home overhaul. You will surely not use old 100Mbit LAN cables, you will use cat6a (10Gbit) to make it future proof for decades. Because you wont replace those in-wall cables after few years.

p.s.: Sam, you wrote that USB 3.0 costs too much…can you tell how much, or if there are any problems with implementation? Im just curious. Thanks :slight_smile:

With USB2.0 you can transfer at least 135GB per hour which should be nearly double of what a blueray rip would require so it should not be a bottleneck.

It is bottleneck for playing very high bitrate files, as the one, I have tested. From internal storage, it plays ok.

And USB 2.0 is also bottleneck for large file transfers…why I might want to transfer some large file for 15mins over USB 2.0, when I can do it in 1.5min over USB 3.0?

Can you show us the mediainfo for that file? I really would be suprized to see a file with a bitrate that max out USB 2.0 480 MBit

1 Like

No idea, what video sources you are using but the successor of Blu-ray is Ultra HD Blu-ray with a maximum bitrate of 144 Mbps with a 100 GB triple layer optical disc media, see http://www.blu-raydisc.com/Assets/Downloadablefile/White_Paper_General_4th_20150817_clean.pdf

That should be no problem for USB 2.0.
Sure, there might be artificial test-files with higher bitrate but what does it mean for real life :man_shrugging:?

3 Likes

The files, I have been tested is those:
jellyfish-250-mbps-4k-uhd-h264
jellyfish-250-mbps-4k-uhd-hevc-10bit
…you can download it from here:
http://jell.yfish.us/

Mediainfo is here. They are identical with bitrate, resolution, etc. Only codec is different (h264 vs h265).
So I am pasting here only mediainfo for h265 one:

Blockquote
General
Unique ID : 74186002185508636652484954243900783544 (0x37CFB44D6BAD48AD49653FBBCC363BB8)
Complete name : E:\Download\jellyfish-250-mbps-4k-uhd-hevc-10bit.mkv
Format : Matroska
Format version : Version 4 / Version 2
File size : 897 MiB
Duration : 30 s 97 ms
Overall bit rate : 250 Mb/s
Writing application : Lavf56.3.100
Writing library : Lavf56.3.100
Video
ID : 1
Format : HEVC
Format/Info : High Efficiency Video Coding
Format profile : Main 10@L6.1@High
Codec ID : V_MPEGH/ISO/HEVC
Duration : 30 s 97 ms
Bit rate : 245 Mb/s
Width : 3 840 pixels
Height : 2 160 pixels
Display aspect ratio : 16:9
Frame rate mode : Constant
Frame rate : 29.970 (29970/1000) FPS
Color space : YUV
Chroma subsampling : 4:2:0
Bit depth : 10 bits
Bits/(Pixel*Frame) : 0.986
Stream size : 879 MiB (98%)
Writing library : x265 1.8+190-75d1c62d8f0c:[Windows][MSVC 1700][64 bit] 10bit
Encoding settings : wpp / ctu=64 / min-cu-size=8 / max-tu-size=32 / tu-intra-depth=1 / tu-inter-depth=1 / me=1 / subme=2 / merange=57 / no-rect / no-amp / max-merge=2 / temporal-mvp / no-early-skip / rdpenalty=0 / no-tskip / no-tskip-fast / strong-intra-smoothing / no-lossless / no-cu-lossless / no-constrained-intra / no-fast-intra / open-gop / no-temporal-layers / interlace=0 / keyint=250 / min-keyint=25 / scenecut=40 / rc-lookahead=20 / lookahead-slices=8 / bframes=4 / bframe-bias=0 / b-adapt=2 / ref=3 / limit-refs=3 / no-limit-modes / weightp / no-weightb / aq-mode=1 / qg-size=32 / aq-strength=1.00 / cbqpoffs=0 / crqpoffs=0 / rd=3 / psy-rd=0.30 / rdoq-level=0 / psy-rdoq=0.00 / signhide / deblock / sao / no-sao-non-deblock / b-pyramid / cutree / no-intra-refresh / rc=2 / pass / bitrate=262000 / qcomp=0.60 / qpmin=0 / qpmax=51 / qpstep=4 / cplxblur=20.0 / qblur=0.5 / ipratio=1.40 / pbratio=1.30
Default : Yes
Forced : No
Encoded date : UTC 2016-02-05 16:43:32
HANDLER_NAME : hevc@GPAC0.5.2-DEV-rev565-g71748d7-ab-suite

Just tested it again. While playing from external HDD over USB 2.0, it will start to stutter right away, or after few seconds. Vero 4k does HW decoding, so there is no problem.
When I play it from internal storage, it plays without stuttering.

Agree. I just wanted to show, where is maximum bitrate, that can USB 2.0 do. As I stated before, nobody encodes with such bitrates, because its not needed.

The HEVC will work at 250Mbps, the H264 one likely won’t as the decoder is less efficient. This doesn’t matter though as most H264 content is about 40Mbps (Blu Ray)

HW acceleration works also on 250Mbit h264 file, tested it :slight_smile:

Ever thought about your HDD in the USB Case is the problem?

Just coz your HDD has USB2.0 it doesn’t mean the HDD can transfer files with the full speed USB2.0 can offer.

I have seen SDD with about 300Mbps read speed and others with over 600 so the connection isn’t the only part that can suck

NOTE: how is your advancedsettings.xml file configured for buffering?
you should know on default kodi is set to just 20MB Buffer, configuring the advancedsettings.xml right could be a big point.

Buffer wouldn’t be used for local media

sure, depends on what buffermode you configure

Hi,

I think the reference to local in the kodi video is to your local lan, rather than local media.

Thanks Tom.

hi,

if you read the text under “What to buffer” you can see including local network, internet and even the local hard drive, so as fas as i can understand this it tells me every video file on every storage will be buffered when set to 1 or 0

greets
Rene

Plain and simple.
It doesn’t support netflix, amazon prime and youtube 4k.
At the very least it could have supplied usb 3.0 for faster data transfer rate from PC to vero 4k+'s connected external drive rather than plugging the drive to pc everytime we need to transfer very large files.
On top of that 99 pound is super expensive for this device since a 52 USD xiaomi mi box 3 with same processor s905x can do all the things it does including 4k netflix amazon prime and youtube(mostly except samba service).
Sorry no offence its still a great device just double the price it worth.

Hi,

I stand corrected, I’m sure “even the local hard drive” is a recent addtion, well I say recent its been at least 2 years since I’ve looked at those instructions properly.

Thanks Tom.