Vero 4k WiFi problems

Can you try connecting wired? If it works wired then we will have a better idea of what to do next.

I think you have a network problem (ie tcp/ip not ftp).
It could be either a firewall/port blocker shutting down the connection.
Or else, maybe your wifi connection is dropping.

on the Vero4K, use
dmesg -T, and look for any wifi errors around this time: (10:01:27)
2017-04-06 10:01:27.153 150 Here comes the directory listing.
. 2017-04-06 10:01:42.404 Timeout detected. (data connection)
. 2017-04-06 10:01:42.404 Could not retrieve directory listing

I would also try with wired connection. And continue testing with Mac command-line.
Trying other applications is just making it more difficult to track down the root cause.

Respectfully, I think this thread got off on the wrong foot and is yet to recover.

The OP had some sftp issues, yet could ssh to OSMC. That should have been (and should still be) the starting point for troubleshooting this issue. In the unlikely event that we simply can’t get sftp to work, only then should we even consider moving to vsftp.

OP needs to provide logs. Perhaps because of language issues, they have not yet been provided. @isslayne please try once more to sftp to OSMC and then run grab-logs -A . Please post the link returned by the grab-logs command.

1 Like

@dillthedog @JimKnopf @fzinken @anbodearg @bmillham, now I connect wired, it works well ftp and sftp , but it still don’t work when I connect wifi, this is the log.Thank you very much
http://paste.osmc.io/azatodakec

Well that at least proof it is not a bug or a misconfiguration.
You need to improve your wifi connection. Install wavemon sudo apt-get install wavemon to check the connection quality.
And you can install iperf3 to check connection throughput.

I run “sudo wavemon” command line, show this log

can not get range information: Bad address

what does it mean ?

I haven’t tried wavemon, but here is some info about it.
How to Use Wavemon to Monitor Your WiFi Connection - Raspberry Pi Spy

There is also some info about iwconfig, which will give you a quick
status on the wifi link quality

bad address usually means there is another device on your network with the same IP address.

could you tell me the command that can refresh vero 4k ip?

Goto My OSMC -> Network Settings.
Set IP address to DHCP (not manual), and then do reset.
That should give you a new IP address, which is not already in use.

This actually could be also one of the explanation (besides bad signal) of your issues.

now I find that it also works well to connect 2.4g wifi same ip, and only the 5G wifi dont work

Ok, I guess the solution is to use your 2.4 wifi.

@isslayne: Just to sort things out

• All of your devices are using DHCP and none has fix IP in the 192.168.2.0/24 net?
  • If and only if you’re using fix IP addresses: Have you reduced the DHCP range in your ASUS router, so DHCP range and fix IPs are in separate sets?
  • Whenever you have the “issue” from now, could you check for duplicate IPs in your network:

– Linux:

ping -c 10 192.168.2.255 || arp -a

– Windows:

ping 192.168.2.255 & arp -a

and manual check for duplicate IP addresses in the resulting list?

no duplicate IP

I dont understand why I cant use ftp when connect wifi 5G

I don’t think it’s anything to do with ftp. Probably the 5G signal is dropping out sometimes.

In my experience, to use 5GHz your device needs to be close to the router with no obstructions (walls, etc). I have two Vero4k, and both are using wired connection. They are behind the TV in a different room
to the router. I don’t think the Wifi would be good enough, and they are in a permanent location - so for me it’s better to run two ethernet cables. Also most of my devices in the house are on 2.4G.
The signal seems to be stronger, so my Mac and iPhone automatically connect to the 2.4G instead.

Wavemon will not work on the Vero 4K at this time.

This thread should be re-titled as ‘Vero 4K Wifi not stable’ since the problem is clearly not related to SFTP.

1 Like

Just an idea:

Believing @isslayne’s logs the Asus router AC87U uses SSID=‘AC87U_5G’ freq=5745 MHz … which is channel 149.

In Europe the 5 GHz WLAN may use

channels 36-64, transmission power 200 mW
channels 100-140, transmission power 1000 mW
channels 149-165, transmission power 25 mW

(adhoc I can only find the German Wikipedia article as reference, see Wireless Local Area Network – Wikipedia)

So, as far as I understand this situation, the Asus router and Vero 4K are working with the smallest transmission power possible. I would give it a try to use channels 100-140 … in hope the router and Vero device really can use such high power.

See Wi-Fi Amateur: China Opened More Channels in 5 GHz & Embraced IEEE Std 802.11ac VHT80 which might explain the use of channel 149. Quote:

Before 2013, MIIT only allowed WIFI vendors to use a limited 5 GHz spectrum at a precise measurement only from 5725 MHz to 5850 MHz

And the Wikipedia page for details of WLAN channels, etc: List of WLAN channels - Wikipedia