Vero4k+ announcement

I’d be happy if we could get HDR10+ support on the 4K.

Still no power button = hard pass. I use switched power strips and disconnect all devices when we’re done watching - no standby leeching or fire hazards. I hate having to babysit the Vero every time I shut the home cinema down! Forget to put her into “sleep” mode and she will leave a dirty file system and refuse to read the USB drive until I take it to my Windows PC for a filesystem “repair”.

Most frustrating anti-feature in recent memory.

Nowadays I keep the Vero4K unplugged until needed so we dont accidentally turn her on and have to go through the shutdown rigmarole unecessarily. :confused:

EDIT: also - the USB ports are power starved and often fail to spin up my 2.5" USB drives. This thing didn’t become reliable until I got a powered USB hub to help it out.

What are you talking about? Just navigate to Power -> Shut Down in the Main menu like you would with any pc

4 Likes

I’m glad that works for you. I don’t believe that menus are in any way a reasonable substitute for a power button on the remote, like literally every other device in the living room does it.

I would also prefer if the device could be power cycled without losing the filesystem every single time, again - like every other device I have ever put next to the TV manages to. I have run various WDTV’s since 2009 and never had an issue with drive corruption or refusal to mount / read the filesystem due to power cycling.

(Why doesn’t the Vero just run fsck on startup to repair the journal automatically and/or mount without journaling - why aren’t these default settings?)

I think it does. I have never had a refusal to mount/read the filesystem and I’ve probably re-started veros more than most ppl have.

How much will the Vero 4k+ normal price be after the ÂŁ99 sale ends?

Hi Sam.

Sorry you’ve lost so much time to my apparently unique problem.

I thought you’d previously said you’d been able to reproduce the issue with the series of clips, from multiple films, from multiple sources, I’d provided? Did I misunderstand?

Is the recommended approach for me to wipe my heavily customised Vero installation and install an older build (pre HDR fixes, as I recall)? (n.b. the customisations have been made after I posted about the hevc 8-bit colourspace issue, e.g. adding and configuring openvpn, veracrypt, samba, custom key maps, etc)

If a clean install of an old build doesn’t fix this, and nobody can reproduce my problem, am I right to assume a hardware fault in my unit?

Sorry for all the questions - just trying to work out a plan (not least how to fully image and restore my vero in case rolling back doesn’t help the colourspace fault).

Thanks, RR

Perhaps this works better for EXT filesystems? Unfortunately I need to be able to move the drive between machines in the home so NTFS is the only sensible option for me, and Vero haaates when it suffers an unclean dismount. :confused:

(the drive policy (windows terminology) is set for "fast removal so it shouldn’t journal or buffer, but yeah - whenever it comes from the Vero after an ungraceful shutdown / janking the cable, the filesystem needs repairs.)

OK, thanks for the clarification. I do have an NTFS partition attached to my vero and have never had issues. But it’s not where I keep my media and only gets used through smb from other machines.

Well that’s another issue but could be related. This thread isn’t really the right place to sort these things out. If you have raised these issues before, can you link the thread? If not, I suggest you start a new one.

I’m not aware of any devices in my home cinema that really turn off with a power button. They simply go in to a low power state and can be woken up again with a remote.

Vero 4K and Vero 4K + can already do this. If you want a physical button to control power, you can map it on your remote (be it the official remote; CEC or your own remote, i.e. Harmony).

We fsck the internal storage, but not external.
If the user wants to fsck the external storage, you can just add an fstab entry and it will be checked every time.

Yanking the power isn’t a good idea, but it’s reasonably safe if you fsck every boot.

Hi,

I’d like to get this fixed for you.
I think I reproduced (and fixed) the issue. I need someone else to confirm.

You don’t need to wipe anything from your machine.

I don’t think it would confirm faulty hardware if everything else works fine. It would confirm that we need to look deeper.

This isn’t a permanent fix, it’s something where you can hopefully say yay or nay. I can then add this as an option to the Kodi menus for it to be a more permanent fix for you.

Sam

1 Like

RRP is ÂŁ119.

We will occasionally run sales as we have before.

Sam

Bit late to the party, but happy to see the Vero is constantly being enhanced und upgraded. If I had run into any CPU or network bandwidth limits, I’d have ordered a + right away, but since that’s not that case and I feel like it will be so a few years too, I’ll just stick to the Vero4K and view the + as a great piece of hardware for people who don’t already own a Vero. Cheers, Sam! That’ll be no more discussing NFS shares and Fast Ethernet bandwidth limitations. :smiley:

5 Likes

@RJ45 Or those with multiple TVs. I’ll put my 4k+ in the bedroom (no more blue LED. I’ll put the OG 4K in living room.

I paid about $30 or so less for the 4K+ than I did last year for the 4K. :grinning:

Hi,
Very excited about receiving the 4K+. I ordered one on Wednesday , but haven’t received a notification it has been shipped yet. Is it on it’s way or do I need to be a bit more patient?

You’ll need to wait a little while. We’ll post shipping information soon and you will of course receive an email when your order is dispatched with tracking information

Cheers

Sam

Hi Sam :slight_smile:
Hehehe … sorry for that, but I added you a little more work. Just ordered one.

PS: I can actually open an Vero Device Museum. Have them all :smiley:

PPS: Thanks for your dedication !!! Really appreciated

2 Likes

Thank you as always for your support :slight_smile:

My previous Kodi devices (Wetek Core) ceased being supported summer 2017, so I looked for replacements. I ordered my Vero at the end of March 2018 on the recommendations on the LibreElec & Kodi forums. I have watched the Vero 4K forums in hopes of making my Vero 4K operate properly. Unfortunately, my Vero 4K has never operated well. I have had playback issues (audio & video). I have installed all updates and have never been able to play the files, which play flawlessly on computer (Kodi current version) and Core (Kodi v 8.2).
The lack of any trade in or upgrade channel is understandable, yet disappointing. My Vero 4K sits unused in the original box. :cry: