Vero4k+ announcement

I have a JVC RS540 (same as the 790), and the Vero 4K has been a dream with it. I expect the 4K+ to be the same.

Send me a message and maybe I can help you with your issue - so we don’t derail this thread?

Thanks Will, I know it’s not the PJ - it is the processor and I know why - the fix has to come from player to accommodate the ‘HDMI lite’ board in the chain. thanks tho!

No worries! :slight_smile:

I had to make new Acct to post… Adrian97c is lost in space… weird! Sucks because I had important bookmarks.

Anyhow, if I buy 4K+ how long til it ships to US, FL?

I bought my Vero 4k 4 months ago and I’m pretty happy with it, but I’ll go ahead and order the 4k+. I want to support the project and I’m sure I’ll enjoy the gigabit port.

But first I would like to know a little more how painless it is to migrate…

Will I be able to restore the backup during the initial setup as soon as I receive the new box? Or is it something the I need to do after?

Will it restore all addons or do I need to reinstall them?

Will it restore all addons settings, including skin settings?

Thanks!

That’s it. It will restore all of your Kodi user data.

See Information about your OSMC account

Probably a week and a half. We are backlogged a lot now.

As much as I want mine NAO, I’m excited that you’re backlogged!

Whilst i agree in general, in my case I can no longer work due to critical illness, and purchased the Vero 4K as an upgrade to my Pi3 to pass some time enjoying my collection of h265 films that the Pi cannot handle.

Unfortunately currently the 4k has issues with 8bit h265, which is 90% of my collection, so the Vero is largely unused, and I cannot afford a new one.

I support Sam, he works incredibly hard, and of course I understand the ramifications of killing a product by announcing a successor model, but none of this helps me.

I’ll back out of this thread now.

Could you try and sell it on the secondhand market?

What are the issues? I don’t have HDR and recently started encoding my movies in h265. So far I haven’t noticed any issues.

There’s nothing on the Vero 4K+ that would fix any issue anyone has with the regular Vero 4K. So I’m really not sure what issue you’re having with H265, but the + isn’t magically going to fix that.

The Vero 4K is still supported.
I’ve spent weeks on trying to chase down your issue and have really struggled to reproduce it. I would appreciate it if you could try the changes I made here earlier: Vero 4K H265 movies (8-bit encoded only?) - blacks show as grey, colours washed out (reduced colourspace) - #98 by sam_nazarko

If others want to try the clips posted there and try and reproduce that will also help. @retroresolution isn’t in the best shape at the moment. We may be able to speed up a resolution for him by crowdsourcing some fixes.

Sam

The Vero 4k+ adresses alot of stuff that I missed, mainly Gigabit ethernet and no more eye blinding blue led… but a gigabit usb ethernet adapter and some black tape solved those issues a long time ago, so I pass on the 4k+… but I think the 4k+ is a great thing for OSMC and all of its users because the largest amount of critics aimed at lack of gigabit ethernet… I expect many new users here soon :slight_smile:

I do think the lack of gigabit was a significant complaint. For those of us that don’t want to mess with FSTAB conversions etc and just want it to work out of the box (which the OSMC does for the most part) the lack of gigabit is significant. The difference in speed of seeking etc during 4K movies is staggering with a USB gigabit adapter bringing speeds up to around 324Mbit.

With full gigabit now a reality I expect my library to populate more quickly, and for even faster seek times and buffer fills.

The blue light was another curious design choice. In movie rooms or bedrooms the blue light is visible even when you use tape to cover it, since it leaks out the vent holes. I’m glad this has been addressed, even if it took a hardware revision to do so.

I’m happy you guys are working and developing the device further I just hope its really future proof this time. I wouldn’t have an issue paying twice the price for the device if I’d get a peace of mind that the device will be my primary 4k media player for the next years to come. Supporting dolby vision, HDR10, HLG and possible new formats.

I don’t think the Vero 4K+ is any more future proof than the Vero 4K. I mean, when it comes to playing movies, there doesn’t appear to be anything the 4K+ can do that the 4K can’t. They both have the exact same file type/encoding support.

I don’t know the hardware well enough to say whether Dolby Vision is possible on the Vero 4K line, but maybe Sam can. Kodi might be holding things back, too.

My understanding is that Dolby Vision is not possible, as it’s Dolby propriatory. You probably will not see any open source project support it in the near future. Of course, someone may backward engineer it, but who knows when.

Yea as far as I know only the Apple tv 4k comes with Dolby Vision support. Just imagine the demand if Vero 4k + was the only non corporate 4k media player with full support for Dolby Vision, Atmos, netflix 4k, amazon prime video 4k etc… One device beefy enough to handle all you throw at it.

It would be huge