Vero4k+ announcement

Thanks for the nice words… Personally, that’s exactly how I see it as well. :slightly_smiling_face:

There has to be a cut at some point where a new device is introduced. BTW: developing even such a “small” upgrade is some work. So, throwing it in the ring for a heavily discounted price wouldn’t make any sense. The Vero 4K is still the same awesome device which is more than sufficient for most here.

3 Likes

No, but up until the announcement of the 4K+, @sam_nazarko was pretty firm about not adding gigabit Ethernet to the 4K anytime soon. I understand that saying something about “we’re thinking about it” might slow down sales, but based on his statements, I pretty much assumed that until the first 4K units were muchcloser to being “out of support” (5 years from date of sale was the promise), we would not see any significant hardware upgrades to it.

I’m quite happy with my Vero 4K, as I don’t stress it out at all, and I’m happy that when I need support for much higher bitrates, I can pick up a new one. But, I’ve had it for nearly a year, so I don’t feel like I “just missed” the upgrade. I can see how people who have purchased in the last 3 months or so would feel like they purchased with a somewhat less than accurate statement from the company about future hardware upgrades.

Perhaps the buyers who purchased within the last whatever seems reasonable days but did not get the automatic upgrade to the new version could be given a 10-15% coupon to use in the store. If they want to buy a 4K+, they’d get it cheaper than anybody else ever will. That would likely mend any hurt feelings.

With gigabit Ethernet, this is definitely true, but the 4K really did need one or the other, because a USB 2.0 gigabit adapter basically took all the bandwith from the one remaining port.

1 Like

I ordered my Vero 4K on 10. June. If i‘d have waited only 10 days, i‘d get a new 4K+ with Gigabit Ethernet instead :cry: Really bad timing.

1 Like

Situations like this can be quite difficult. We did stop shipping orders for a month to limit disappointment.

As I stated on AVForums, I’m still not of the opinion that Gigabit Ethernet is necessary. It is however, nice to have. But it has to work properly. Implementing it in a way that works well was quite difficult and we were lucky to get this in. The July update (due next week) will add improved RX performance for the Vero 4K’s Fast Ethernet port.

In Sam’s defense, what’s he supposed to say? Yes we have a new devices with gigabit working? Boom - there go all the sales of the outgoing model.

It’s a damned if you do/don’t scenario.

This is a statement that should be taken with a grain of salt unless or until the last time Sam made such a statement can be linked. A statement like this could easily be misconstrued to the point that someone might suspect that Sam had said such a thing last week, or even in the last month, neither of which would be true.

Agreed.

I’m sure getting gigabit to work in these devices was challenging and perhaps not even expected to happen given those challenges.

Also, these devices aren’t even that expensive! It’s not like you just bought a 2017 MacBook Pro three weeks before the 2018 release.

Anyway, it’s been a good hour since the announcement. Have mine shipped yet? :rofl:

The humor in this joke is being sliced very thin at this point.

How about…now? :hugs:

For those of us who are still slightly new to OSMC / Kodi (and a little lazy) , is there a simple way to import settings / configs from one device to another? (Vero 4K to 4K+)? :upside_down_face:

There is a backup tool provided in the MyOSMC addon for this purpose.

3 Likes

Am enjoying the wit on this thread. Thanks for the light touch,
will enjoy the “+” when it gets here.

3 posts were split to a new topic: Offtopic and irrelevant minutiae

Improved audio? What it means? Spdif? That would be sweeeet:-)

SPDIF out is digital.
Analogue audio output (headphone jack) is improved.

Sam

Hi Sam,

I know you will. I don’t believe it’s the projector at fault - the new line of JVC’s can take anything you throw at them and have a certain update coming which i can’t say under NDA. So it will be the AV processor and it’s 10.2 Gbps chip, I’m pretty sure it had to be knocked down to 10bit 4:2:2 in Oppo’s blu ray player menu to get 4K HDR output.

I know the fixes will cross pollinate, but to be fair I could have sent it back, waited on the fix, picked up the new model and got gigabit ethernet and a couple of other things i’m sure. Had I been using it since I purchased it, sure it is what it is and that is the ‘slight disappointment’ in my OP.

1 Like

I haven`t had mine for very long and it does everything I need it to, prety much rock stable and perfect but i just got the +, not because I need it, but to support the company. What is goin on here is pretty special and should continue. Ppl buy oled tvs for 3000£ and stopp getting updates just a coupple of years after, same with cellphones, so yeah…

I have needed to reboot the device manually I think twice(it was stuck) , other then this is just works better then any streamer I ever tried. No more headache, just pop into the sofa and go.

I completed the order about 5mins ago, I wonder if its shipped yet =p

Would of been nice to have an extra usb port or 2.

Currently on my rpi3 I use all the 4 usb ports (keyboard adapter + 2 usb tuners + external hard drive)

I know I can use a usb hub but one of the tuners + the keyboard adapter don’t work plugged into hub, so I may have issue getting all these connected on Vero 4k+.

But I’m willing to purchase one to support this great community. :blush:

1 Like

Oh well, little bit gutted after receiving my Vero 4k second week of June. Nature of the beast though as mentioned above.

Just wish I had waited! Especially as I’ve spent more now adding things that are in the new model (usb Giga Ethernet, which’s also has to run off a powered usb 3.0 hub also purchased…)

Out of curiosity when did orders for the previous model stop getting accepted?

1 Like

I’ve had the Vero 4k for a couple of months and even though there has been a hiccup, the support that you get from here has made me a happy owner. Especially as customer support is at an atrocious level for most hw companies, such as Samsung whose TV still suffers from the same bugs as when I bought it two years ago.

Sure, running the best and latest hardware would have been nice and I toyed with the idea of buying the new version. But since the Vero 4k does what I need, including playing 4k HDR content over AC wifi from my Plex Media Server, no need.

Just wanted to sound my support for the OSMC team for their customer support and an awesome product line. And this is not to diminish the understandable bad feelings of people who have issues yet to be resolved.

3 Likes