Vero4k+ announcement

• how much snappier would it be? will you really notice it?
  • duct tape
  • switched from cable to 5ghz wifi to fix that. performance is great.

:grin:

Snappier performance with the faster eMMC storage.

I bet three interwebz you wonā€™t be able to tell the difference in a blind experiment. Keep the 4K and try it for yourself.

You can ā€“ the LEDā€™s a big giveaway :wink:

He said a blind experiment! How are you going to see the LED? Or the imageā€¦ :smile:

Sounds like an audio only challenge then. @grahamh would have us covered.

I sure expect to notice a difference, on the current Vero 4K I experience micro-stutters on the very high bitrate releases (4k + Atmos). This plus faster skipping would be easily worth it. I donā€™t care about the blue LED as my equipment is inside cabinets, I have a wife! (plus, I probably care more myself).

Micro-stutters? What content? Never seen it myselfā€¦

They are difficult to notice perhaps, my wife only notices when I point them out. They mostly (or only) appear to happen in high bitrate releases of the ā€œ2160p UHD BluRay REMUX HDR HEVC Atmosā€ type. In theory Fast Ethernet should be able to handle this, yet I hope the 4k+ improves this issue for us.

Having said that, I love the Vero, best Kodi device I have ever owned, and Iā€™ve had quite a few.

Canā€™t say Iā€™ve experienced itā€¦

In any case, roll on 4K+!

Before you blame the Vero, check the content.

I was watching the extended cut of Weā€™re The Millers ripped straight from the 1080p BluRay. I saw several times when the video seemed to stutter like it was buffering for new data. But, it was just a really weird edit on the original movieā€¦right before a few jump cuts to a new scene, the last frame was repeated about 3 times. At timecode 1:38:28 was one example.

Even the highest bitrate UHD BD remuxes donā€™t saturate the Fast Ethernet interface for multiple minutes.

Try this thread for example: BUffering when streaming 4k files from a PC \ NIC upgrade

I already use system level NFS mounts and greatly increased buffers, this did not (fully) resolve the issue. Hence my hope of the 4k+ resolving this. Even if it does not, thatā€™s at least valuable information, plus Iā€™d take it for the fast buffering/seeking alone.

And of course I have checked the content, this happens for me with many of the high bitrate muxes.

Then a faster interface will probably not help.
What device do you have in between the NAS and your Device? Is that one fast enough? I bet it canā€™t handle the high I/O decently. Tested this on my firewall at home (j1900 Atom 2Ghz CPU with 4 1Gbps Intel network interface). Depending on how I configured the buffers, hardware checksuming or offloading etc., and QoS/Fastpath on routers, I had smooth or non-smooth streaming of data.
I then looked for something where I could configure these parts on a Switch, and that made me move from the Longshine LCS-GS8116A Switch to the current Zyxel switch.
The current one I have (Zyxel GS1900-16) enabled me to configure the fastpath type connection on specific interfaces. Latency went down and data transfers are smooth as soaped now :slight_smile:
Note: I have 3 heavy Youtube and crappy video bandwitdh streamers at home (Teenagers). And even though I have 1Gbps FTTH, all medias go through the same local LAN.

Thing with networking is: It is only as fast and as I/O friendly and smooth as the worst element in the chain the tcp/ip packets go through. Only one piece is slow, your entire network is slow.
Imagine a road, that usually is empty and you can drive at 200Km/h. Suddenly, you have your kids with their carts going through it with 30Km/h - You canā€™t bypass them, you will take as long as they take to reach your destination. Period.

Thereā€™s two quality Gigabit switches in between, highly doubt those are the problem. We will see.

One last thing is that if you are seeing the ā€œsource too slow read rate too low for continuous playbackā€ message, then it can also just be a Kodi bug, as I see that at times when I skip forward 30 seconds. Since I am skipping within the already buffered data (1080p at about 9Mbps buffers close to 3 minutes), and the skip is instant (as expected), the message is spurious.

If your skin allows it, enable display of the buffer on the OSD progress bar. That will help show if any stutter/pause is really the fault of not having enough data in the buffer.

Quality does not mean good (I make that experience everyday at workā€¦).
It can also be a slow source, and by source I mean the NAS providing the data.

There are so many possibilities helping to slow down the data-stream that exist, it takes a while to identify these all :}

Ok, then replace where I said quality with good. The switches and the NFS server have no trouble feeding other clients (Windows & Linux) with 1 Gbit, they are not the bottleneck, until proven otherwise. If the 4k+ does not help, I will move on to the next possible cause. Plus, Iā€™ve already tried a couple things, this box is up next :slight_smile: