Vero4k -> Vero4k+ migration issues

Hi,

Sorry missed that. I would update to the latest stable and then issue the instructions in my link.

Thanks Tom.

I can’t do that. Didn’t you read the thread?

Hi,

Can you restore most if not all your settings, whilst connected to Ethernet?

Then you should be able to update as advised above and then should a wifi connection.

Thanks Tom.

Not if I don’t have a guarantee that an update will fix the WiFi issue…

I am in this mess because I did what I was told.

How about someone tells me why the image I put on the Vero4k+ screwed up WiFi?

I can’t be the first one who installed that image onto a Vero4k+.

Hi,

I’m sure it will, but to be sure can you please provide logs from the vero4k in its current state.

I imaged a vero4k with that image (testing another issue), the other day and I didn’t have any issues with wifi.

Thanks Tom.

Yes, I will as soon as I have connected it to the network.

Can you now do the same with a Vero4k+ ?

Hi,

If your logs indicate that updating won’t fix, then yes I will try and find time tomorrow (getting late here), to reproduce on my vero4k+.

Thanks Tom.

1 Like

No worries. Not in a hurry. I will have to get the cable connection going anyway. I am using a few VLANs, port security on the managed switch and whatnot. It’s not like I just plug in a network cable… :wink:

1 Like

Nobody is here to give any guarantees. Actually there is no known issue (especially with the older images on wifi). The only known wifi issues are no visibility of wifi 5Ghz Networks above Channel 100 which exists at sometime in 2021/2022 which is the thread @Tom_Doyle linked to. But as you can’t see any networks I guess your problem is different (unless the only existing networks are 5Ghz above Channel 100.
I guess best next steps is ethernet cable to then check with SSH what is going on. Alternative connect a Keyboard and check via terminal if dmesg shows any issue with the wifi.
Or maybe just try to install once more from a new image to see if that solves the problem.

1 Like

Here you go…

https://paste.osmc.tv/xelacigixo

Hi,

According to the logs the wifi device is available and should work as expected and using the update path as suggested. You could try connecting from the command line first to confirm:

Thanks Tom.

1 Like

No dice…

root@vero4k:~# connmanctl
Error getting VPN connections: Unit connman-vpn.service not found.connmanctl> enable wifi
Error wifi: Already enabled
connmanctl> scan wifi
Error /net/connman/technology/wifi: No carrier
connmanctl> services
*AO Wired                ethernet_900eb331e3d6_cable
connmanctl>

Hi,

What happens if you issue:

disable wifi
enable wifi
scan wifi

is your wifi 5ghz only? if so is the channel above 100?. I ask because as @fzinken points out their was issue affecting 5ghz wifi, with the release currently on your vero4k.

Thanks Tom.

root@vero4k:~# connmanctl
connmanctl> disable wifi
Disabled wifi
connmanctl> enable wifi
Enabled wifi
connmanctl> scan wifi
Error /net/connman/technology/wifi: No carrier

Nope, I am using 1x 2.4GHz (channel 10), 1x 5GHz (channel 48), and another 5GHz (channel 116).

Please note, I’m using the same OS version OSMC November 2020 2020.11-1 on my Vero4k where the Wifi works just fine. The Vero4k+ worked also fine when I got it with OSMC August 2021 2021.8-1. After reimaging it with OSMC November 2020 2020.11-1 the Wifi was broken.
As I said there must be a problem with the image that does not show up when you upgrade to the same version via OTA, otherwise my WiFi wouldn’t work on my other device either.

Hi,

It’s a possibility, but even so I still believe wifi will be working on your vero4k with latest stable (may still need to apply the skin fix from staging). So I think your safe to restore your settings and update.

At this point the only the alternative I can see is to install the latest image (apply skin fix if required), and manually restore your settings.

Apologies but I’m not sure what else to suggest.

Thanks Tom.

I truly hope so. If not, the reimaging proceess destroyed WiFi irrevocably and bricked my device…

Hi,

I find this very unlikely, as I can in the logs the wifi hardware is still being recognised; I suspect a firmware issue in the image (firmware is updated in the latest update). In the rare case that wifi has been bricked (never heard of this happening anyway), I’m sure Sam will see you all right.

Regards Tom.

I am not really worried. I am pretty confident that we’ll figure out a way to get it working again.

I just hoped that the migration would be straightforward, without so many steps, especially when each step could mean I might have to start from scratch and/or waste invested time.

1 Like