WiFi dongles don't work with OSMC on RaspberryPi?

I’ve got a Pi2 that I want to use with OSMC. I’ve got two different WiFi dongles, an EDIMAX and a CanaKit, both work fine with Raspbian but neither work with OSMC. If I run the OSMC in my Pi3 the built-in WiFi works fine. Anybody got any ideas?

Thanks

can you post the output of lsusb with these dongles plugged in? You may have to install usbutils.

You have to disable the internal WiFi before it uses the dongle. Put the following line in /boot/config.txt

dtoverlay=sdhost

Reboot. Should use dongle then.

Edit: sorry reread it’s a pi2 so doesn’t have internal WiFi. A debug log will help.

Not applicable in his case

Bus 001 Device 004: ID 7392:7811 Edimax Technology Co., Ltd EW-7811Un 802.11n Wireless Adapter [Realtek RTL8188CUS]

Bus 001 Device 004: ID 148f:5370 Ralink Technology, Corp. RT5370 Wireless Adapter

I did have to install the usbutils. The second one is the CanaKit device.

The only way I can get to a login screen is to select Power -> Exit and press the escape key several times. Is that there another way?

Thanks!

Details regarding how to access the command line interface can be found here on our Wiki: Accessing the command line - General - OSMC

Anybody?

The silence is probably because people are still waiting to see a log file.

2 Likes

I need a VID/PID to add support.

Above reveals that should actually be covered already. So would be good to see it as part of a full log.

The fellow asked for the output of lsusb and I posted that.

What log would you like to see?

I’ll post it next week when I get back home.

Thanks

Unfortunately, a small snippet of information is often not enough.

Ideally, please post a full set of logs, either from the command line with grab-logs -A or via My OSMC -> Log Uploader -> All Configs and Logs. Then post the URL returned by either method.

Hi there,

I would indeed like to see if the kernel is picking it up as a module already. A set of logs would be useful.

Cheers,

Sam

Since I can’t get the WiFi to work I posted the results of grab-logs to my website: http://585ranch.com/uploadlog.txt.

That was with the Edimax WiFi dongle, if you want the logs with the Canakit device let me know.

Thanks!

Are the logs I posted what you needed?

Thanks!

In post #6 you say the Edimax dongle is using a Realtek RTL8188CUS chipset. The log is showing something a little different (though it might not be correct):

[    5.641316] CHIP TYPE: RTL8188C_8192C

And OSMC has loaded:

[    5.641005] rtl8192cu driver version=v4.0.2_9000.20130911

According to this post, the EW-7811UN should work. Are you using an official power supply?

The power supply is not an “official power supply” but it is adequate.

I just posted the output of lsusb and grab-logs, I don’t know why they don’t say the same exact thing.

I thought these were fairly popular WiFi dongles, no?

I would swap the PSU over. What do you consider adequate?

5V 2.5A? It works fine if I’m running Raspbian. I can understand if the power is minimal that maybe the WiFi dongle wouldn’t work but the power supply is adequate. There is nothing connected to the Pi2B except the dongle.

Anybody look at the logs I posted? Is there any information there that can point me in the right direction to make it work?

Thanks.

The real question is, even though the PSU states 5v/2.5A, does it actually maintain a 5v output while under a 2.5A load? This is not always easy to test and quite often, phone chargers and cheap foreign market PSUs cannot actually maintain that output. When the Pi is losing voltage due to an increased demand for amperage, shunting power from the USB bus to keep the processor and ram supplied is expected.

2 Likes

As you know, I did. I can tell you that the device is recognised, and the OS can see its MAC address and knows its on wlan0. But it doesn’t connect. I don’t think you’ve mentioned proximity to the router/access point so perhaps it’s simply too far away.