AVR Onkyo TX-RZ820, DTS-HD HRA/Hi Res Passthrough Issue

DTS-HD HR is fast flawless on my x800 bluray player, but not on the Vero, with that knowledge it should be the same on Vero right?
I only get realy low volume with the Vero, sounds abit static…

Do not use ‘Optimised’. It tries to play tracks with the same audio settings as the previous track. I really don’t understand what it’s for.

Please share your audio settings.

I do have ‘keep alive’ disabled.

Number of channels: 7.1
Output Configuration: Best match
Keep audio device alive: Always
Send low volume noise: Off
Allow passthrough: On
AC3, E-AC3, DTS, TrueHD and DTS-HD selected

Got a Onkyo TX-RZ820 AVR
Need more info @grahamh ?

Thanks. I don’t have an answer to that. Passthrough normally just works.

Is it repeatable or random?

We are off-topic, really, since this thread is about PCM audio, but what does the Onkyo report as the received audio format?

And what happens with keep audio device alive Never?

Folks, I splitted this stream from the original since it deals with a specific DTS-HD HRA passthrough issue and not with the multi-PCM theme. Thx for your understanding.

1 Like

Totaly repeatable!

It displays as DTS 5.1ch 48kHz.

Setting it to ‘Off’ changed nothing, will keep it at that for now.

Could you provide some short cut out of this video material so I could test it with my Sony AVR? I’m just curious whether this is a Brand-specific issue or a general one affecting all AVRs with the Vero.
MKVToolnix is a good tool to cut some seconds out of H.264 material and make an mkv from it without recoding.

I tested with the samples ‘DTS-HD HRA 5.1’ and ‘DTS-HD HRA 7.1’ from: https://kodi.wiki/view/Samples#HD_Audio_Test_Clips

Both clips play fine with my Sony STR-DN840, passthrough and OSMC kernel “Linux osmc-vero4k 3.14.29-61-osmc #1” (uname -a).
So, not a general issue but most possible Brand-related.

Good to hear, atleast it works with a Sony and some Denon AVR’s … now the rest :wink:

I’ve got a new Denon AVR-X3400 that I’ll test with the DTS-HDR test file when I get home later today. I don’t have any other files with native DTS-HDR so it’s not an issue for me as of yet but I will test and report back for the fine folks having issues with this specific codec.

There is another topic about DTS-HD HRA btw: No Audio with DTS-HD-HRA Movies - #45 by Clockkent

We’re aware of the issue and have tried finding a solution for it already. Haven’t been successful yet though.

It may correlate with DSPs in the affected AVRs from Cirrus Logic that caused problems with DTS-HD HRA based DTS:X tracks when those chips were first introduced. It’s a guess so far and won’t help solve the problem really, but the affected AVRs mainly from Denon (lower-end models) and Onkyo are all using those chipsets.
We’re still trying to find a way to fix this on the Vero side, but it may be that it’s just not solvable. DTS-HD HRA is quite a rare format and therefore the problem might not have been noticed by all owners of affected AVRs. The inconsistency of it working with some players, but not all seems to fit as well. It is a HDMI timing issue. But solving it for affected AVRs may break things for others. It’s a very unfortunate issue that seems to need more time to hopefully fix it. But no guarantees that we can do it :slightly_smiling_face:

Lets hope so else I need a different device for every other movie :wink:
It is nota bigdeal for now, only got a few files, but would like to have the DTS core as a minimum.

This isn´t primary a vero problem - i have a Marantz NR1607 7.2 A/V Receiver and this problem comes with the last Firmware-Update and is related to all player without a dts certificate (info from the denon/marantz support) - the HiMedia Q5 (i use it for 3D iso playback) has exact the same problem and no solution for this is provided by the HiMedia Support yet!