Buffer issues after October Update

Hi
I don’t search the solution, i try to found a testcase definition, what can I do to create usefulls testcase and logfiles.

Before the october update i’ve issues when i try to play for/back a file (recorded from french TNT), sometime Kodi freeze I need to restart the Mediacenter from SSH.
Now (sometime) when i try to for/back this files the image freeze, but not Kodi. I can stop and restart with the remote .
Other things, I’ve two VERO 4 box, one with HDMI CEC remote, one with the OSMC remote. For the moment i’ve the issues only with the CEC remote.
(and I remember) that before the october update i (think ???) that it’s works better with the Kodi Android apps as with the CEC Remote

Now when i try to play the same file (NAS synology nfs ) with the two box, it isn’t the same.

• Vero4(10) CEC remote Box have sometime (but not allways) buffer issues, file (image) is freeze when i start CEC remote forward, play is freeze, but Kodi works. I can get out the file and restart play with the menu.

-Vero4 (11) with OSMC remote and the same file works for the moment fine.

I’ve see in the log

osmc CRenderManager::WaitForBuffer - timeout waiting for buffer

and i try to play with the cache settings

<cache>   
        <memorysize>524288000</memorysize>   
         <buffermode>1</buffermode>    
        <readfactor>6</readfactor>        

Some help to define the test case is appreciated

Merci
Michael

These instructions are very clear on how to produce and provide a log.

Sorry that i know, the questions is how I can define testcases to create log files which can help!!

Before uploading any logs, you should ensure that Debugging is enabled in Kodi. This can be done by going to Settings → System → Logging → and selecting Enable Debugging. You should then perform a reboot of your device and perform only the minimum actions required to replicate this issue so that it is easy to identify the cause of the problem.

If you are using the default OSMC skin, then My OSMC will be accessible via your Home screen. If you are using Confluence then it will be available via the Settings sub-menu. For other skins, My OSMC can be found via the Programs section. …
After opening My OSMC, navigate to Logs.

Please take the time to read, the thread before write.
I can send you a lot of log files, but you know what you search ???

I’m not sure what you want to provide besides a demonstration of the issue you are seeing? What else do you think we need?

Are you playing the same files as before, in the same environment?

Are you using SMB mounts within Kodi? I backported a Leia fix. It’s the only thing I can think of off the top of my head:

https://github.com/osmc/osmc/blob/master/package/mediacenter-osmc/patches/all-108-remove-old-smb-fix.patch

Sam

Hi Sam
I use NFS /Kodi with Synology NAS and two Vero4Box.
I (remember ??) that in the Kodi 17.5 Github some works do to play for/back.
And it’s works better then before October Update.

1. New are some Buffers issues and I’m not sure that my cache setitings are the best.
    I push readfactor to 6 , it’s better,but maybe it’s can be more…
    Before i play with memory and after reading the kodi wiki, i prefere to ask, if somebody has some ideas.

2. It is “imaginable” that play for/back with the same file (on the same NAS) can be different

• on the same Vero4 box with CEC remote or Kodi apps.
  • on another Vero4 Box with OSMC remote.
    Merci
    Michael

Hi @michael47

There were a couple of improvements in the 17.5 release, yes.

We are still working out the optimal cache settings for Vero 4K users here too. As there is a lot of free memory, we should probably use it more effectively.

Are they both connected via Ethernet?

Sam

Yes with Netgear switchs

Try backup from working unit to the problematic unit.
Check fstab is OK too.

kodi nfs mount, but I think it isn’t the problem
For me it’s perhaps the remote protocol

1. Sony remote with CEC library
  2. OSMC remote
  3. Kodi Android app Kore ou Yatse

Do you have more than one switch?

There is a risk with multiple unmanaged switches of getting a “broadcast storm” if the switches are incorrectly connected together. When this happens, the network will seem to freeze.

Hi Dillthedog
Yes I’ve, but I think it isn’t the problem. The network works allways, but sometime when i try to play forward or backward I’ve issues.
Before the oct update Kodi freeze (ssh restart mediacenter) now (only) sometime the image freeze, but i can go back to the menu and restart the movie.
Here I think it’s a buffer issues (and when I remember right I 've copy my cache settings from one of your threads)
With Kodi 17.5 and the new ffmpeg perhaps better cache settings are possible ??
And the second point I’ve not this issue (with the same movie) everytime, and I use different remote on my two box.
But there is the jungle.
Perhaps found in first time the best cache settings.
Merci
Michael

I thought it was at least worth mentioning the possibility of broadcast storms.

I doubt if increasing the readfactor higher than 6 will help - but it won’t do any harm, though it will probably cause Kodi to use all the network bandwidth in short bursts.

The memorysize is a little more difficult to recommend. The Kodi wiki continues to suggest that it will use RAM that is 3 times the number you specify. However, people have examined the actual code and this no longer seems to be correct. So you’ll need to experiment - but at least the Vero4K has more RAM than a Raspberry Pi, so you have more scope for experimentation.

I play a bit with cache settings and switch to

<cache>
            <memorysize>191889408</memorysize>
            <readfactor>6</readfactor>
    </cache>

when I understand right I use 186 MB
Play /for/back etc seems to works
I check with free -m and that give

osmc@wst10:~$ free -m
             total       used       free     shared    buffers     cached
Mem:          1789        424       1364         19         18        143
-/+ buffers/cache:        262       1526
Swap:            0          0          0
    Mem:          1789        623       1166         19         19        143
    -/+ buffers/cache:        460       1329
    Mem:          1789        624       1164         19         19        143
    -/+ buffers/cache:        461       1328
  1. is KODI with skin estuary
  2. is movie started and pause
  3. is movie played

Now I need some advice if it’s a good VERO4 settings
On my Vero4 box i run only KODI, MySql (MariaDB) Server and TV Backend run on the NAS.
Merci
Michael

That’s very interesting. (And meshes neatly with my last post here :slight_smile: )

It shows that the amount of used memory increases from 262 MB to 460/461 MB once you start to play. This confirms that the 3x RAM usage is no longer correct.

One user suggested:

<memorysize>400000000</memorysize>
<readfactor>30</readfactor>
</cache>

Is that recommendation based on anything concrete? There must come a point at which increasing the buffer further has no appreciable extra benefit.

Here’s the memory on my Vero4K with mediacenter running (and all Kodi defaults):

osmc@osmc:~$ free -m
Mem:          1789        981        808         16        118        657
-/+ buffers/cache:        205       1584

I’m only using 205 MB of core RAM to run OSMC. Even if the buffers and cache are left untouched, there’s still 808 MB doing nothing.

For now it’s works for me. But the play for/back problem is the most of time with recorded movies with publicity.
I test it in “real life” conditions and report back.
A+
Michael