Device crashes when playing movies with Dolby TrueHD

My settings are exactly like this:

When I playback a file with a Dolby TrueHD audio track and then skip forwards/backwards using the progress bar in the Kore app my Vero 4K+ crashes. Howevery everything works fine when I use the Vero remote. The crash only occurs when the Vero has to transcode the TrueHD track to AC3 (AC3 transcoding enabled) or to LPCM (AC3 transcoding disabled). When TrueHD passthrough is enabled (I know S/PDIF can’t passthrough TrueHD and DTS-HD MA) it doesn’t crash.

Logs
MediaInfo

I don’t know if this is something you can fix, cause like I said above, it only happens with the Kore app. Furthermore this isn’t even a big problem for me, cause I still have the option to switch to the “core” AC3 stream that is also present on any Blu-ray with a Dolby TrueHD track. I just wanted to tell you about this.

Thanks for the report.

The skipping issue should be fixed in the staging repo

Sam

Is this something you knew about before?

Yes, hence the fix.

I’d appreciate it if you could test this and provide feedback before we potentially release this as an update to other users. To test this update:

1. Login via the command line
  2. Edit the file /etc/apt/sources.list
  3. Add the following line: deb http://apt.osmc.tv stretch-devel main
  4. Run the following commands to update: sudo apt-get update && sudo apt-get dist-upgrade && reboot
  5. Your system should have have received the update.

Please see if the issue is resolved.

I also recommend you edit /etc/apt/sources.list again and remove the line that you added after updating. This will return you to the normal update channel.

I just tested this and it seems like there is an improvement, but the crash still occurs sometimes.
I don’t know if you can see this in the logs, but I made a few successful skips and then at the 4th (I think) skip it crashed again. New logs.

Does this only happen on TrueHD clips?

Sam

Yes and only if the Vero transcodes the track to AC3 or LPCM.

So do you think this will be fixed soon?
Just wanted to ask.

Not sure. I’m struggling to reproduce the problem here.

@Ainsley so this is only happening when trying to FF/RW rather than seeking to an exact point? That may explain why it’s not been widely reported

Vice versa. It happens when I go to an exact point when using the progress bar in the Kore app.
As seen in this picture. But I mentioned that in my original post above.

Got you. I’d expect pressing the right arrow to skip forward a bit on the OSMC remote to also cause a crash then.

No, when I use the OSMC remote, it does NOT crash. If you like I can take a short clip with my phone.

So I uploaded a short clip here.
I limited this file to just one download, so tell me if you can’t grab it.

Ok, can you do a log from each remote again so I can (hopefully) see the two different pathways

Cheers

Sam

You mean:

1. Activate logging
  2. Reboot
  3. Start clip and fast-forward with OSMC remote
  4. Upload log
  5. Reboot
  6. Start clip and skip to certain point using the progress bar in Kore until Vero crashes
  7. Upload log

Like this?

You got it exactly right.

1. Log: FF/RW with OSMC remote multiple times (no crash)
  2. Log: Skipping with progress bar in Kore app (crash at first skip)