Hard Drive Install ATV1

Hello to all!

Congratulations first of all to Sam and company for their effort to resurrect the ATV1 with a great product like OSMC!

I have been reading this forum since December tried the original installer with the known bug for HD installs and now the recent one (more than 3 -4 times). It is obvious to me that I am probably the only person in this forum that can’t make it work :slight_smile:

Just as an indication, I am not getting any prompts to power off, remove the USB at any time and wait for 10 seconds before repowering on. I am using the OSX installer and have followed the steps provided carefully. The installation I manage to do only works with the USB plugged in, but not from the HD, I get the hard drive with question mark icon, if I boot from the HD.

Please let me know how I may troubleshoot this!

Have you looked for very small text on the screen? It is on the command prompt screen in small white text. Not a popup or a large box or anything like that.

Thank you for confirming this, I will look more carefully and try again. So from what you are saying the time to power off is when the command line finishes and before formating and installation takes place.

@Spinner - If these little learnings be added to the Guide/ Wiki/ Walkthroughs that would be great.

If these kinks have been ironed out, can you please point me to the best updated info on doing this the “right” way :slight_smile: - without mistakes ? Please.

Anyone can make suggestions for editing the Wiki.

Sam

@sam_nazarko I meant to ask, what is the most updated guide/ set of steps? Especially, since some issues/ steps were ironed out after the guides were written.

Go to Download - OSMC
Download a Windows, Mac or Linux installer
Install

That should do it :slightly_smiling:

Sam

1 Like

@sam_nazarko - Can I still download the Image on the side ahead of the installation time & use the locally saved image instead?

Like so - Does OSMC Installer auto download stuff? Maybe the 200M Disk Image?

Yes, you can and please don’t ask in several threads at the same time especially when addressing Sam directly

Okay so am I am I to understand that i the OSMC download page there is now a usb to hdd installer as I the old days b/c I’m not seeing it lusted as that simple. I’m seeing Many disk image downloads and what not can you please direct to the correct usb download where all I have to do is like the old school CBuntu, all you had to do was download installer to usb and sticki it in atv1 and let it roll. If you could put a link to that, I would be eternally grateful. I have supported you just to let you know we live your work and I have a vero but would like to get my old ATV’s up and running again for many reasons that aren’t worth mentioning here. Please advise.

Thanks Brian,
proud Vero owner, also interested to see how the VERO 2 spec will compare. If they are significantly and of they will be significantly better.

Great. First installed Fresh ATV1 v3 OS.
Downloaded OSMC 2016-Jan for HDD
Installed via Installer + USB Drive.

OSMC is up. Now need to figure out/ remember how to point it to the NAS :slight_smile:

Well if the NAS is SMB based just add source and choose SMB respectively

@fzinken I remembered how to do this on old XBMC (pre Kodi) and original theme. I am a bit confused on where to add Network/ SMB sources & locations on the OSMC UI / Skin :slight_smile:

PS: What other “light” not resource intensive skins work well on ATV1?

You always can switch back to the original “confluence” but even with the OSMC you just go to Video → Files → Add Video (or similar wording)

@crxsi71
Yes. It’s that simple.
When you run the installer, it asks which platform (Pi, vero, ATV) you wish to create the USB stick for, and which type of install you wish to do.
The installer downloads and creates the stick.
You make sure the ATV is powered off, insert the stick, and power up the ATV. Follow the prompts.

If it wasn’t that simple, Sam obviously wouldn’t have said it was.

I’ve had that issue with other skins simply due to familiarity.
I switch to confluence, do my initial configuration, and switch back to whichever skin I prefer.

I have had much correspondence with the infamous Sam so I know 1st hand he means what he says my issues was with me I couldn’t locate the link I needed to accomplish what I wanted to do. I have been a fan and follower of Sams for many years so I was in no way insinuating that he was being disingenuous.

Thanks Sam for all your hard work !

Oh yeah I installe the update on my atv1 running from USB stick yesterday and now all it does is flash on and of from black screen to OSMC screen with a rather disturbing sad face? Haha

Brian

1 Like

Sounds like the read only boot partition issue again. That update tries to update the kernel and modules, and will fail if the boot partition is read only.

Fortunately the January 2016 version has code that will help prevent this in the future, once it’s installed fully.

Here’s a thread that explains how to fix it, but for some less “Linux Skilled” people, the best option IMO is to wait until the new Jarvis installer image is available, and reinstall.

8 posts were split to a new topic: Kodi crashing with Sad Face after updating to Jarvis

To get a better understanding of the problem you are experiencing we need more information from you. Please see How to submit a useful support request - General - OSMC for advice on how to help us.

Specifically you need to SSH into your ATV1 and post logs.

FWIW: Your system would have updated to Kodi “Jarvis”, which is a completely new version of Kodi.
A LOT has changed with Kodi since the previous version.
That means many of the add-ons won’t work, at least until add-ons developers fix them.
We’ve seen complete kodi startup failures when unofficial addons were installed, before updating to Jarvis.

I suspect, it’s because some of those add-ons run in the background, and when you upgrade to completely different version of Kodi, and the addon hasn’t been able to update to a compatible version yet, Kodi crashes.

Since XMBC 13, when updating to a new major version of Kodi I always do a clean install and then reinstall the addons and library.