[HowTo] RetroPie and OSMC: Retrosmc - Retrogaming on OSMC

Has anyone managed to install LimeLight with this retrosmc alpha 0.005 version?

Limelight/moonlinght should be a completely separate program?
Better to use the according thread to get support for that.

According to this Limelight Game Streaming Raspberry Pi 2 - Game Footage and RetroPie Setup Tutorial - YouTube you can install it in a “normal” retropie image.

I dont know though if you can follow the same procedure to install it to THIS version…

As this is not a normal retropie image (mainline debian, not raspbian), but just some selected scripts and emulators from it, it will not be possible easily.
The main configurationscript for example is missing here as I try to provide a plug and play version for the RPI 2.

It is a different concept to the normal RetroPie installation script and should not be compared to that in terms of functionality.

I already knew the answer but i had to ask (to be sure) :smile:

So, are you planning (as future updates i mean) to update this image to a “normal” retropie image so as to have full functionality? :sunglasses:

Really? I think I will not answer that again :expressionless:
There is a reason, why I didn’t keep it as a normal RetroPie installation in the first place. I explained it numerous times.
I cannot build a “normal” RetroPie image as THE F****** SYSTEM IS DEFFERENT AND IT WILL LEAD TO PROBLEMS, IF I USE PACKAGES OF RASPBIAN IN DEBIAN!!!

Edit: Please stop asking that question, as it will probably never happen, at least not by me.
If you find a better solution that has “full functionality” and will not interfere with the running system in the long run, let me know.

The proper way would be to build every emulator from scratch with different patches for all architectures. The same would be appropriate for emulationstation. Then remove every reference to RetroPie and reimplement their scripts to work on the different platforms osmc is running on.

If I had the time for that, I would have done it already, but there is not enough free time in my life.
Maybe Sam comes up with a solution that makes everyone happy, but I doubt it as long as people are comparing it to RetroPie.

If you really want to have all the functionality RetroPie provides in a convenient package, do a dualboot.

Edit: When I think about it: It could be possible with a chroot to raspbian with RetroPie installed. This would take up A LOT of space though as you basically will have two systems installed at once…

Theoretically: Could the retropie system be installed on a different mount (i.e. a usb drive, to not “waste” precious OSMC SD card space)

mcobit dual boot is the best solution…

But…(there is always a but…)

1. Berryboot: although it has hdmi-cec capabilities lucks system updating

2. Noobs: better but…no hdmi-cec support (yet)

3. Your project: sounds good but not a “full” retropie image

4. Image like this (RetroPie / OpenELEC (KODI) Dual Boot Disc Image - petrockblock) looks good too (i know it is NOT osmc…but it is the same)

I ll stop asking that question…ok i understand;) Good try though (that is 4 sure)

Edit: hsus good question…i was wondering the same thing…

This could be a solution. Although it would be more complicated to set up again.

Of course a dualboot solution has it’s downsides. That’s why I am trying to do something different with this package.
This is a solution that works for me. If it doesn’t for you, feel free not to use it or be a bit more patient for changes to happen.

Hello.

I think I found a solution for a full RetroPie installation with easy and fast switching from kodi as before.
It will take some time to test it completely and to make my scripts compatible with it but we will get there.

I was able to create a chroot from the RetroPie image that can be used to start emulationstation and the emulators just fine.
The downside is: It will take a whoopin’ 2GB of your SDcard without roms.
I may be able to get the size down long term though.

5 Likes

Gday,

Im having similar problems with 360 wired controller config. If I use this guide: [How-to] Xbox 360 Controller OSMC my controller works flawlessly in OSMC. When I launch ES it is detected as a keyboard, I believe this is because we do a mapping in the xbmc.ini config file. This (kind of) ok for ES as you can navigate the menu fine using keypad but it does not map correctly to retropie games and it seems that the analog controls are not supported. Ive tried cutting down the xbmc.ini so that ES might detect the controller as a controller but ive had no luck.

I see three options: 1. Somebody who has this working could post their config files!
2. Since ES/retropie are working flawlessly with xpad, we could try to get kodi working with xpad.
3. Wait for @mcobit to finalise his work on including the FULL retropie install.

Any help appreciated.

I don’t believe that Kodi (as compiled in OSMC) supports gamepads for menu navigation. I have connected three gamepads which operate fine for ES and Retroarch but do not function within Kodi. I have also connected a gamepad in “keyboard mode” which would navigate in Kodi without issue. I think for the time being you can have ES/Retroarch support with analog the way you want OR you can have menu navigation in Kodi.

I can see this as an annoying issue for someone with no other means of navigation. Hopefully, OSMC will implement controller support within Kodi. Fortunately, until then, I am using a FLIRC and IR Remote for navigation in Kodi.

Just for info: It is coming along nicely.
I even installed the whole retropie stuff on my nas and mounted it from there with nfs.
Still figuring out some quirks.

2 Likes

Can you make the script ask during installation for the installation path?

Yeah, actually thought about it.
But right now all paths are hardcoded. :frowning:
So let’s see if I can add some variables maybe with a configfile you can edit to point to the correct paths.

thanks for all of your work dude! You’re awesome!

That. is. awesome.

Nearing completion.
Hope to have something to test for you tomorrow.
Be warned though: You have to uninstall your current installation. So back up your roms and BIOS!
Better not backup any configfiles as they will be different in some cases with the new image.

2 Likes