I am very hesitant to ask this.. sorry.. not quite a NOOB here... but still

Ok, I just purchased the latest version of the Pi zero with built in WiFi… I have read heated exchanges between people about WiFi not working… SO up front… this is NOT a wifi question…

I have downloaded all the images for the PI 1/0 and have tried to run them on my Zero… it seems to install I get to the OSMC screen then starts to install files, I get the OSMC installed complete it seems to reboot then my screen goes black and NOTHING happens… so I tried to install Raspian on the same card after I reformatted it…Rasbian boots fine…

In reading some of the other posts, I read that some Micro SD disks might not work, so I used Sandisk, Samsung, Adata and Silicon Power disks ranging in size from 16-32 gig…

So its not a hardware or HDMI cable or any other issue I can think of… but no image of OSMC will work…

Anyone have thoughts???

Kody

Try a better powersupply.

Are you using the disk image or the official OSMC installer?ci ask as the installer only prepares the SD card but I believe the bulk or the system gets downloaded when the Pi0 first boots up, if you don’t have a connection then you can’t download the files, that’d explain it.

Can you be more clear about what you are doing at each step and let us know the status of the network connection

@jbcool
Perhaps the official installer has changed.
When I last used it, it would do a basic SD card preparation, and then download the packed up filesystem to the SD card. When this was booted, the filesystem got unpacked, the expansion to fill the card was performed, and the final setup done.
I’d appreciate clarification here.
Derek

Good afternoon all,

More clarification… I have tried multiple power supplies… I have tried the images from the OSMC site… I have tried the Windows installer that burns the image on the card… what I do find interesting is that monitor is getting a signal from the Pi when the screen is black… so something is getting through… Jessie works on the three power supplies I have used… and all the SD cards… and the OSMC installation says complete… then it goes to a blank screen… and just stays there… I am not sure what other information I can provide… I do have OSMC on a Pi 3… and I made sure that it worked using all the same equipment but the SD card…

I was not trying to start a new thread on the other topic… not was I trying to cross threads… I was just commenting on a thread that was all ready started… I thought the idea of a forum was to talk to people and share ideas…

What other information can I provide… I would be happy to talk with someone if they would like to call me… just send me a email… or we could real time chat on face book… I just do not understand what I am missing…

Thanks,

Kody

have you tried to ssh in just to make sure the pi is booted? and you could restart the kodi service
or maybe use a different monitor?
or connect a usb keyboard and switch to a different terminal and see if you get anything on the screen

when it is set to use Jessie… I can SSH into it… I have always built a system to boot to OSMC… I have tried different power adapters… different HDMI cables… I have swapped out EVERTHING but the OSMC software… someone said to try a build from 2015… I cannot find it to try… I am very frustrated as I bought two of them for use as a very low profile OSMC player… neither works… I really do not know what else to do… is there a way to start from a Raspbian console… and try to install OSMC???

The only thing I know… is as soon as the OSMC files are installed… and I get the installation is complete… it goes to a blank screen…

I am NOT trying to be difficult… and I apologize for commenting in the other thread…

Has anyone been able to boot OSMC from a Pi Zero???

Kody

When the OSMC boot hangs, can you SSH in?

Had not tried that… it should be the same IP address as before… I will try that…give me a few minutes…

Kody

if you get in, provide the URL from grab-logs -A

I cannot find the IP address…

I logged onto my router… and cannot find the device at all… it does not show up with an IP address…

I am so lost

Kody

I do not have a MAC…

Here is my direct map to my router… I do not see the PI at all… I do not think the software is compatible… has ANYONE been able to install OSMC on the new version of the Pi Zero with built in WIFI… and NO this is not a wifi question…

Kody

Other threads clearly indicate yes. Since WiFi is not yet functional, how do you intend it should be connected to network? Do you already have USB>rj45 connected?

I guess not many people have read about the Raspberry Pi Zero W…People are aware that a new zero is out… right???

it has built in Wifi and Blue Tooth…

I have just about given up… if someone has gotten it to run… then it MUST not run on the latest version of the Zero… must be some clash in the code…

If someone has been able to get it to run on a zero, please send me a direct message please…

Let me ask this question again… Since I can get Raspbian Jessie to run fine… with WiFi used… is there a way to install OSMC from the command line…

Kenn

Stop insulting the intelligences of those attempting to assist you in your confused and illogical circles. You’ve clearly read the threads on this very forum reporting the status of zero w under OSMC. It clearly runs. If you are expecting WiFi or BT connectivity, then your entire thread is clutter here. The existing threads already make the current status clear and any updates to that status will clearly be announced there… Creating a new thread with a vague premise and poor attempt to garner sympathy for your supposed “noob” status will do nothing to achieve your ends any faster than any other pi zero w user. You are only making yourself appear more ignorant than noobish…

Excuse me… I have insulted no one… My only apparent mistake or ignorance as you put it… was to expect people to be willing to help people who might know as much or less then others… My experience with the Zero is less then 2 days old… so I do consider myself a NOOB to it… People have asked for as much detail as I can offer… so I have provided as much as I know how…

Illogical circle… explain that… how am I doubling back on myself… I have used all the troubleshooting steps I know how… What else can be done…

I have even come out and asked if anyone has it running on the new Zero W and have yet to get an answer… only that it runs on the older models…

From my first post, I stated that this thread was NOT about WiFi yet your last message in this thread asked about WiFi… guess you could not be bothered to actually read… and you call me ignorant… guess asking a question off topic like… how will you use Wifi in a thread that has NOTHING to do with Wifi … maybe that is illogical circle… if you have nothing to offer… then do not reply… even an idiot knows when to not open his mouth.
Kody

I suggest that you read completely through the other thread you posted in:

Several people there CLEARLY state that OSMC works on the Zero W.

Be careful of how you treat site moderators!

Why should I be careful to someone who insults me… I did read that thread… but I have not read a place that stats it works on the new Pi Zero that just came out…

This forum is suppose to be for the exchange of ideas… helping those who might not know something… at least that is what it should be…

If the thread that I read through does that that it runs on the Zero W… then I am the fool and I owe the people apologies…

The new Zero has only been out for less then 10 days… so… after all my troubleshooting… I can only assume that in the near future a new patch or version will come out to remedy the situation…

I was just looking for a confirmation that my issue was real… and after all the steps I clearly outlined… and the fact that I have run it on two of the new zeros… leads me to believe that its the build…

I am retired military so do not insult my intelligence about troubleshooting…

and as far as the board admin… if he is as ignorant as he seems… then fine… run his board the way he wants… we defeated the heel clicking Nazi in WW2…

I am sure I can find another Media Center for the Pi… When I ran it on my Pi 3, which still works btw… it ran great… guess courteous and polite discourse for a site that has the word discourse in its web address must be too much of a expectation.

And yes, I did read Shifties Zero post… I have done all the troubleshooting steps he did… even made sure I used an EVO card… and a power supply made for the Pi…that is what I call troubleshooting… making sure the problem is recreated… taking out or retrying the same equipment to isolate the issue… must be an issue with the code and stated earlier… Raspbian Jessie runs fine… I have tried to find a way to install OSMC from the command line is Jessie… even asked in this thread… and have not gotten a reply…

Kody

Are you really going to make me point you to the exact comment in that thread? I found it in about 1 minute. I didn’t keep going at that to see how many others have it working.