Install failed: Please contact support. Hardware is faulty

After trying LibreELEC (and even Android) with my Vero 4K, to check if my DTS-HD passthrough problem is resolved (check Issue with DTS-HD and Vero4K), I decided to go back to OSMC for better support and automatic updates. However I’m getting the error in the title. What can I do?

Did you install LibreELEC to the internal storage or follow any ‘toothpick’ instructions? Some LE builds change the partition layout or change the eMMC metadata.

Sam

Yes I did… Worse than that, I used a tool called “amlogic usb burner”

I’ll help you with this in a couple of hours.
Can you document exactly what you did with the AMLogic USB tool? Did you use it to restore an Android image?

We improved HD audio with some problematic receivers only recently, so when you get OSMC back up and running it should be fixed.

I don’t believe LE’s kernel has merged our audio changes, so I don’t think LE would have resolved the issue.

Sam

Can you document exactly what you did with the AMLogic USB tool? Did you use it to restore an Android image?

I used it to restore the image for Android 7.1.2, destined to the X96 (it worked btw).

OK, that will have completely overwritten the eMMC. I will try and think of a solution. It may need to be returned for us to perform a low level format.

OK thanks. Here is a similar thread for reference: Vero 4k recovery error - Hardware faulty

That customer did not return the device for us to reflash the software, so the issue is not resolved.

If you have flashed an Android image, then you will have overwritten the bootloader, environment settings and partition layout.

I will think about what can be done remotely.

Can you create a similarly flashable image of osmc from a working device?
I’m in Morocco so the shipping fees would be huge

Hi @sam_nazarko, anything new?

As a matter of fact yes. I’ll give you an update in a few moments.

The problem is that I don’t know what the images you have used have done to your hardware. If the installer is failing, then something has changed.

I’ve PM’d you some instructions. I hope it will resolve things. I’ve kept these suggestions private as I’d like to discourage people from performing these changes to their device.

Do let me know how you get on.
In future – if you have an issue, please let us know first instead of trying alternative images on your device. In the unlikely event you’d seen some improvement, we wouldn’t have been able to improve things for OSMC without you running OSMC.

Sam

2 Likes

That worked thanks!

1 Like

Yeah - our Sam usually finds a solution! :smiley: Reason I stick with OSMC.

Never received such good support on any other products I have.

Kudos to Sam @ Team on this. Really!

7 Likes

Hi Sam,
i have the same problem of yassineim with my Vero 4K +.
After trying LibreELEC (LibreELEC-S905.arm-8.2-8.2.3.1.bin) with the toothpick method, i’m getting the error in the title.
I paste the install.log file to this post:
Thu Jan 1 00:00:17 2015 Starting OSMC installer
Thu Jan 1 00:00:20 2015 Detecting device we are running on
Thu Jan 1 00:00:20 2015 Mounting boot filesystem
Thu Jan 1 00:00:20 2015 Trying to mount to MNT_BOOT (/mnt/boot)
Thu Jan 1 00:00:20 2015 Using device->boot: /dev/mmcblk1p1 and FS: fat32
Thu Jan 1 00:00:20 2015 Trying to mount to MNT_BOOT (/mnt/boot)
Thu Jan 1 00:00:20 2015 Using device->boot: /dev/sda1 and FS: fat32
Thu Jan 1 00:00:20 2015 No preseed file was found
Thu Jan 1 00:00:20 2015 Flash does not seem correct
Thu Jan 1 00:00:20 2015 Halting Install. Error message was: Please contact support. Hardware is faulty
Please, can you send me the instructions to reinstall OSMC?
I will never try to install other OSes in the Vero 4K +…
Thanks in advance
Roberto

Done.

It worked!
Thank you very much.
Roberto

ok and hello there. i think on some level i crashed my eMMC partition layout as well and now “the hardware is faulty” :confused:

could you please provide me with a solution - as you probably did with the other guys @sam_nazarko? Thank you so much in advance…

i’m using the latest vero4k+ model, btw. i pretty much did this:

using the dd command to write an image to the emmc. very much my fault, i know :frowning:

If you dd to the eMMC directly, it does have to be returned to us.

Contact support@osmc.tv with a link to your post

Sam

Hi Sam, I was the one who created the thread yassineim referenced above. Could you PM me the solution also, would love to get OSMC back on my Vero 4K after all this time :slight_smile: