OSMC Initial Release for ATV1, Installation Help Thread

Download a Kodi remote app from the App Store, Play Store or go to http://IP-address-of-AppleTV and you can control it from your browser.

Sam

The http://download.osmc.tv/installers/diskimages/OSMC_TGT_appletv_20151118.img.gz doesnt exist yet. It is showing up in the disk images page but its not actually on the server.

EDIT: Nevermind, it just showed up

AWESOME! Thanks Sam. Spent hours last night and this morning trying to figure this out. Canā€™t believe it was that easy. Oh well learned a lot about using putty and terminal especially on the atv.

@sam_nazarko so this is really weird, I tried to use dd on Ubuntu and right now my netcat doesnā€™t show anything at all! The only message I see that thereā€™s an incoming connection and nothing else.

The TV screen shows up like it would boot into the verbose mode and the last message is something about either a starting or maybe resolving DNS because first letters are cut and all I see is ā€œing DNSā€

Link on image gives 404 Error
http://singapore.mirror.osmc.tv/osmc/download/installers/diskimages/OSMC_TGT_appletv_20151118.img.gz

Edit:
This mirror works: ftp://ftp.fau.de/osmc/osmc/download/installers/diskimages/OSMC_TGT_appletv_20151118.img.gz

Singapore can be a bit slow to update.

Iā€™ve installed it and it works, thanxā€¦
Please, can you tell please, whatā€™s ssh access data (username, password).
Also for first look samba when try to get access to samba share itā€™s said: Operation not permitted.

SSH information is in the Wiki.

Are you mounting a Samba share or hosting? I would suggest a new post.

A post was split to a new topic: OSMC on ATV1 Canā€™t access SAMBA Shares

This is a thread for installation help. I have split/moved your question to a new topic:

Allright, looks like the image from today 18.11 worked fine for me (even though I got an HDD in my AppleTV) :slight_smile:

my mother is HAPPY - she nowā€™s watching first episode of a detective, online, using Kodi.
WOW. just WOW.

1 Like

ApplePi baker has been causing problems for some people, because it can cause the HFS filessystem to be marked ā€œdirtyā€ and mounted RO. We donā€™t recommend using it.

3 posts were split to a new topic: ATV OSMC Updating?

Fixed Linux installer support.

Sam

2 Likes

Sam 1) awesome to see there is still effort for the ATV1. I will be waiting until there is an official OSMC HDD install for OS X onto the ATV1 not just USB.

1. Couple questions, I currently have the modified version of Kodi 15 Isengard alpha 2 i think on my CB2 with the Crystal HD 70015. On my internal 40gb HDD. Would installing OSMC on a SDD see improvements?
  2. Is there a way to just ā€œupgradeā€ ? or would it be like a new install and setup with all the add-ons.?
  3. otherwise Iā€™m ecstatic about all of this i think its SUPER EXCITING!

This may be some significant time (or never). I am very time pressured at the moment, so I donā€™t have time to get hfsprogs under our target installer running, but that is the final step, and the actual partitioner code has been written already.

I wouldnā€™t expect so.

No ā€“ Crystalbuntu 2 is from 2013, and even then you are running a custom build. The good news is OSMC has its own dedicated backup utility built in.

Cheers

Sam

1 Like

As the internal HDD install might be some time away I have these questions:
Would it be possible to install on an external SSD USB harddrive instead of a USB stick?
Would it run faster than on a USB stick?

A fast USB 3 stick will be good enough. The Apple TV only has a USB 2 port, but you have a greater chance of saturating that throughput with a higher quality USB stick.

Sam

Iā€™ll see if I can get HDD installs working shortly as it is a popular request.

Sam

5 Likes