Really basic remote questions - volume up/down?

I’m used to using the up/down buttons on the ATV remote to control the volume output. When I try to do the same with the Vero remote, it advances/rewinds the video in progress.

Is the Vero remote supposed to work this way?

I did plug in a Microsoft All-in-One Media keyboard so I’m not sure if that managed to cause some sort of re-mapping, so perhaps it’s just my Vero that’s doing it.

Cheers,
Ian

1 Like

The Vero doesn’t have any volume options on the remote because most of our users bitstream (DTS / Dolby Digital).

Sam

I take it that it would be possible for me to re-map the remote buttons if I wanted to edit a file or two?

Yes, it would.

You can also use the official Android remote app, which includes a volume control on the Now Playing screen.

How would that help me add volume control to the remote?

I now mostly use my smartphone as my Vero remote. Works much better, especially when line of sight isn’t assured. And you get volume control.

I have a house full of kids - there’s no way I want them using my smartphone as their remote!

1 Like

Then perhaps you should look at a programmable remote that you can use to replace multiple remotes. I used one in another home and was able to combine TV, amplifier, DVD player and more into a single remote. A bit of a learning curve to set up, though.

I don’t want to go that way. The Apple TV remote worked just fine with CrystalBuntu. I’d rather get the Vero remote to work the same way than run out and purchase yet another. Thanks for the suggestion anyway.

Have you tried to use the Keymap Editor addon?

1 Like

This file uses FF/RW as volume up/down The arrow keys are 10 minute and 3 minute skips so FF and RW aren’t really needed https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/30655053/osmc-remote-VOL-lircd.conf

You don’t want to modify the lircd.conf file because that will affect remote functionality across all kodi screens. All you really want to do is change the function of the up and down buttons when you’re in full screen viewing mode.

I finally figured out how to get it to work. Here’s what I did:

1. SSH into the Vero (username osmc, password osmc)
  2. cp /usr/share/kodi/system/keymaps/remote.xml ~/.kodi/userdata/keymaps
  3. sudo nano ~/.kodi/userdata/keymaps/remote.xml
  4. enter osmc as password, if prompted
  5. Page down until you find the <FullScreenVideo> section
  6. Replace <up>ChapterOrBigStepForward</up> with <up>VolumeUp</up>
  7. Replace <down>ChapterOrBigStepBack</down> with <down>VolumeDown</down>
  8. Ctrl+O, then {Enter} to write the file out
  9. Ctrl+X to exit nano
  10. Sudo reboot

Test the functionality of the remote once the Vero has finished rebooting.

Cheers,
Ian

4 Likes

@sam_nazarko can you compile a support page withe the Vero Remote default key functions ? Yesterday I take some times to understand how to modify my source or understand the difference between up/down and right/left keys during full-screen playback

The Vero doesn’t have any volume options on the remote because most of our users bitstream (DTS / Dolby Digital).

Sam

And therefore a lot of us rely on CEC to adjust the volume via a receiver/amp. For me, no volume keys = useless and physical remotes are a must with children. The Vero remote is actually great in that respect; small form factor, simple layout, satisfying click, no possibility of messing up the TV/stereo/etc.

It would be great to have the option to remap the up/down buttons to volume during the installation wizard at some point. Not that editing an xml file is hard, but those sorts of details are what set the osmc user experience apart from others IMHO.

You can do this via a settings file as you say. We’re looking at making it possible via the GUI soon however.

Sam

1 Like

After just using vero remote i like it but i think there needs to be option to swap fastward to volume control it would then be perfect for me.

Here’s one solution to controlling the volume…

Imgur

Imgur

Customising the Main Menu in…

Settings/Appearance/Skin/Settings/Home/Customise Home Menu.

To add a “Volume Up” menu to the main screen go to “Add”.
Now use the little “˅˄” to move the menu to the top.
Select “Set Label” and type the name “Volume Up” and “OK”.
Then select “Change Action” and this opens a new window. Scroll down to the bottom of this list and choose “Custom Shortcut >”. Type in the command “VolumeUp” and press “OK”

To add a “Volume Down” menu to the main screen go to “Add”.
Now use the little “˅˄” to move the menu to the top.
Select “Set Label” and type the name “Volume Down” and “OK”.
Then select “Change Action” and this opens a new window. Scroll down to the bottom of this list and choose “Custom Shortcut >”. Type in the command “VolumeDown” and press “OK”

Finally click the “OK” at the bottom and press the “home” button on the remote to take you back to the main menu screen.
When you select and click on the Volume menu’s they will adjust the volume.

Good post… I just used it to remap fastforward/rewind to volume up and down respectively.

There’s no need to the the sudo at 3 :slight_smile: