Sad Face after October Update

Interesting find. Does it still work if you reinstall x11-common?

It does work after reinstalling this package.

I have tested upgrading from Stretch to Buster, with RetrOSMCmk2 already installed and again, but only installing it afterwards.

I just checked and x11-common is indeed installed on my system - but running fine. It may be that the rogue package was dependent upon it, rather than a dependency of it.

What makes you think it was EmulationStation in particular? Or by that did you just means RetroPie in general?

Also, have you or @nrosier @brifletch been using emulators other than the ones I’ve supplied pre-built binaries for? So the installing/updating from source option? That might have taken you into unknown territory as some of RetroPie uses X11. I think MinecraftPi for example?

Having also the same issue. My logs are as follows:

https://paste.osmc.tv/ilevevesop

I just tried to install the October Update using myOSMC.

You don’t appear to have RetroPie installed.
Perhaps not the common thread then.
Like @nrosier I also use Hyperion, but again it’s all been tested.

EmulationStation seems like the component that requires X11 but I’m no expert.

I really didn’t install anything but the regular core files with retropie. I got that far and learned my controller wasn’t recognized and quit. Certainly didn’t build anything from source.

Your issue is different.
You had been testing Kernel 4.9 at one time but didn’t follow the upgrade there.

You need to change your apt sources
deb http://apt.osmc.tv videoimprovevero main
to
deb http://apt.osmc.tv videoimprovevero49 main

And then update

Cool. I was going to suggest I could look into it, see if there’s a safe way of building the more exotic emulator for you.

Here is a diff that shows what changed between broken (left pane) and working (right pane)

https://www.diffchecker.com/3ponV04x

@hissingshark I don’t believe I’ve installed anything out of the ordinary … though, I can’t say with certainty that I didn’t install any from source … possibly not intentionally.

If I remember correctly, I installed Emulation Station a long time ago (possibly didn’t work as expected - I’m not 100% sure), but only recently installed retropie, which all seemed to be working fine.

Once I’m home this evening I’ll try removing x11-common as @Fffrank did to see if that gives a positive result.

Thanks for the fast reply - I changed it and it now works for me :slight_smile:

Apologies to all concerned.

This IS because of the retrOSMCmk2 addon.

It is something that has already been fixed in testing. But clearly you’re all running older versions - prior to the fix. The upgrade from Stretch -> Buster doesn’t update the addon and it’s not something I can push.

Please update the addon from the installer menu option.

1 Like

Thanks for the update @hissingshark , good to know there’s a solution in sight?

So in my case of having already upgraded osmc, I should remove X11-common to get it working again, and then update your addon?

I’m pretty sure all QT stuff is from Hyperion and X11 is coming from RetroPie/RetrOSMC.
Old-school ‘GUI’s are for cissies, real men don’t use mice’ guy :smiley: so doubt I would have installed anything GUI-like myself.

Currently rebuilding hyperion. Next will be RetrOSMC.
Will update with my findings.

In my case I do have to point out I compile it myself. I’ve got a video-analyzer setup so I compile with V4L2 support. But don’t think this was the issue. I’m more inclined to point to X11 which most likely is coming from RetrOSMC.

You shouldn’t need to remove x11-common. Just update the addon. It was all taken care of a while back in preperation for Buster.

Sorry for the base question, but how do I go about updating the addon from SSH?

Yeah, QT from Hyperion. And that a non-issue.

Also, you shouldn’t need to compile Hyperion. The binaries are already current AND I build with V4L2 support. It’s actually mandatory these days, else it breaks the WebGUI.

Good to know. Thanks. Saves me some time :smiley:

Been running this setup for a long time and old habits die hard…

Same way you installed.

cd ~/retrOSMCmk2
sudo ./setup.sh 

Then select:
Manage retrOSMCmk2 -> Update retrOSMCmk2

1 Like